Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 05:34   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Just Starting To Think About Liveaboard

heck get a houseboat and rent/charter a boat once in in a while

there can be a big difference between just living on a boat verse living and traveling on a boat
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: just starting to think about liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgivsb View Post
A big thank you to Bill and Judy as an excel spreadsheet lover that post is awesome haha!

As far as minimizing variables there is only so much I can do as I do not own a boat i'm just starting to look and I don't have a slip reserved. I live in California by the Richmond Marina but there are a few options as far as docks so I can figure that cost on my own. I spoke with a friend who lives aboard a sailboat in the marina next to my place and he pays $300 for a 40 foot sailboat. I would love to have a 40 to 50 foot motor yacht since i am not a proficient sailor but if it is substantially cheaper to maintain a sailboat over a motor yacht it may be worth me learning and taking classes for sailing certifications.

Honestly I am an absolute novice in all things boat/yacht so i'm just starting to try and learn if my dreams are crazy or maybe a possibility! Any and all advice is appreciated!

Either way thank you for taking the time to respond
He pays $300 a month in S.F. Bay for a 40 foot slip, sign me up. Does this include the live a board fee? I pay over 400 in Portland Oregon. Please provide details.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43   #18

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Re: Just Starting To Think About Liveaboard

I own a house and I own a boat. Take out the mortgage, as I don't have on on the boat, and still the maintenance fees on the boat are less than on the house. Of course, I am one that enjoys doing much of the work myself....on both. Is an engine replace/rebuild that much different that a HVAC replace/rebuild? Is the cost of painting a boat that much different than painting a house? A marine paint will usually cost more by volume, but I have found that it take a whole lot less of it!

Marinas.....like housing developments....some are more expensive than others.

Stuff (aka...upgrades) are the same. Can you handle the plain white Kenworth stove that will cook your food just as well as the stainless steel one that 'looks' better? Everything from sailing gloves to winches can be put into this category. If you go blue water, like using your home for a catering business, then things will start to change and then you will have to pay more for better equipment.

And don't worry about being a 'noob'. Everyone on this forum was once a 'noob'. Either it was at 6 years old when they started family sailing...or it was anytime later in life during an 'adult' life. As sort of a 'noob' myself, I can say that I have enjoyed the learning curve of owning a boat much more than that of a house!

If you are planning to live aboard while you do the repairs/upgrades. I think you will find that it will cost you less than living in a house/apartment. Even more so if you are in the SF area!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard