Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 08:20   #1

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46
Just retired, planning my cruising life

Hi All - I retired last month and just finished two weeks of classes in the Canary Islands. I now have my RYA Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper certificates. Looking for advice on my plans.

First some background on me. 59 yr old male, good health, career was computer programming and building / managing software development teams. I have about 20 days of sailing with some casual racing on SF Bay, in addition to the past 18 days liveaboard and classes in the Canary Islands. I am a US citizen currently living in Munich Germany.

I plan to spend the next 6 months (maybe longer ) as volunteer crew to get experience sailing (and helping maintain ) various boats. I want to learn all I can about sailing, liveaboard, maintaining and buying.

Then looking to buy. Currently thinking of a cat in the 36 to 42 ft range. Maybe 5 to 10 yrs old. I like some of the FPs (like the Mahe 36 and the Lipari). But this could change as I learn more.

Planning on being full - time liveaboard , staying where it is warm. Maybe start in the Caribbean unless the boat I buy is somewhere else.

I am single so I will be looking for one or more crew when the time comes.

I will be meeting my (adult ) kids in the Greek islands mid August and then moving somewhere.

Questions
- where should I go to be best able to find crewing opportunities? I can fly somewhere to crew but would like to keep expenses down.
- What are the best "crew wanted " boards?
- Anyone know of a crewing opportunity on a cat in the next few months?

I am very excited to be starting the next chapter in my life!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Starting my cruising life NOW :-)
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 14:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Just retired, planning my cruising life

I see some European offers for crew in the "crew positions forum" on this site. You could also post your own available dates and geographical range there. This doesn't exclude you from using other sites too.

Tags
cruising