Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 13:01   #16

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: Just Buy Boat OR More Training...HELP!

For 6k you could probably (covid dependent obvs) go to the med find a RYA sailing school and get your yachtmaster.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 13:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburleft View Post
Been looking hard at Hunters, 31-41 feet. Also small cats: PDQ, Gemini, Mahe, Lagoon 37 & 380, Leopard 39.

Looking between $60-200k.
None of these are small boats.

You'll also need to establish whether you'd prefer a monohull or multihull.

With the budget you mention above, you're trending toward monohull...

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 13:35   #18

Boat: Catalina Morgan 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelguns View Post
Here is my $.02. If you buy a boat, and have no real world experience, your insurance provider would probably require some training. This would be best on your new to you boat. You could hire a captain for the training, and he could help you learn your boat. It would be cheaper and more relevant to your needs.
This. Or at least this is my plan. Once I have bought my boat (soon I hope) I will hire an instructor for a "cruise and learn" on my own boat. Ideally as part of the delivery process. I've found schools that will do this for $100/hr, so that $6k would get you 60 hours of instruction on your own boat.
ksuderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 13:59   #19

Boat: Bateau FS17

If single and living on the road and not tied to a day job, what about crewing for whatever experience you are looking for?
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 14:53   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, wilbur,

My Jim taught himself to sail, and part of how he did it was to buy a dinghy, a day trip kind of little boat, a `15 footer, and he taught himself to sail by trial and error, and in a couple of years bought a 22 footer that he at first followed others around the race courses, and then as he learned more about sail trim, and paying attention to tides (and where to go when), he started winning. For him, there was next a 30, then a 36, and then this boat (in my avatar). So, I, personally, feel fine about you self teaching, as long as you start a lot smaller than you are planning. The reason is that the boat itself will teach you about how it relates to the wind and water, and once you have that basic understanding, you will become a better sailor AND the knowledge will transfer will transfer to a liveaboard boat.

Obviously, if you need a boat for housing more than you want/need to become a good sailor, you'll go for a housing boat. In that case, why not give sailing a go, and see how you go, and then decide if you want further formal education? It can be really a good boost, once you're settled with the basics.

As to finding a piratess, one way to find one is by getting involved in club racing. The unattached women you meet there are already sailors. This is a leg up on the piratess front.

Ann
Old 21-07-2021, 18:29   #21

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Buy a sailing dinghy which can be used as your big boat tender.
Trinka Bauer. Cape Dory. Something that rows too
Learn to sail yourself. You can read, you can sail. Buy a helmet. You swim ok?
Take a USCG Aux boat course in navigation. Learn the rules, lights safety stuff.
Find a boatbuilder or surveyor. Pay them to find you a boat.
Solid. No fin keels, balsa core, steel, cement.
No fancy electronics just one AIS, VHF, GPS. Good big day anchor plus storm anchor. This is not brain surgery.
Just go...do it while you are young and have your health. You might be lucky and find a mermaid. I was.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew who now avoid ice cubes and snow cones due to ice bear nightmares. They asked a dentist for the cost to do walrus tusk implants.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 21:51   #22

Boat: Other people's boats

$6k for a week of instruction feels a bit extravagant, but many people might be happy to spend that much on a week's vacation, so perhaps it's a matter of perspective. I have the same thought about renting; people may say it's "throwing money away", but to me you're either renting the place to live, or renting the money for the place. At the end of the day it's simply a question of cash flow.

Yes, you can teach yourself. For every sailing topic I've been curious about I've been able to dig up forum threads, videos, articles, etc, so all the information is available. I think the main risk is not learning something simply because you didn't realize it was a thing, or thought it wouldn't be needed.

Personally I'd look for a way to spread out the money over much more than a week; I just don't think there's enough time in a single week to justify the cost and there's also the problem of retaining the material from a crash course.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 08:47   #23

Quote:
Sounds like solid advice Mac. That’s what I want. To be ready to handle more difficult conditions, especially if someone else’s life is in my hands. Not fun when you’re in over you’re head for sure.

The 6k is for a one week charter on a 35 foot boat in the San Juan Islands this October. About 3k for the boat, and 3k for private instructor and incidentals. My thinking is that if the instructor is good, one on one learning should give me a chance for repetitive drills on docking, sail handling in higher winds, setting up jack lines, heaving to, etc. Then I’ll be ready!?

It’s only 6k.

Then my adventurous side says “Pfft! Just get the dang boat you wuss! Other people did it! 6k is 6k! You’ll have more fun just figuring it out by yourself!”
Get the boat.

Once you're there you can find/hire someone local to show you how to sail, either way, you're going to be on a boat with someone, might as well make it your boat so you know what you're doing
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 09:18   #24

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
.............Should I spend 6k+ chartering for a week with an instructor or just put that money towards a boat and figure it out on my own?.............Looking to by a smallish sailboat, but maybe up to 41 feet. Cat, mono...not sure yet.
Suggest deciding exactly what size and type of boat and budget you want to spend vs. paying for a boat charter and captain. There are other ways to get the expeience at a lower cost like:

1. Join a club that allows you to get qualified on their boat(s) and sail them as much as you want all year long for a low monthly fee.
2. Join a yacht club and meet sailors who will invite you put sailing on their boat at NO cost.
3. Find sailors through your work who will invite you put sailing on their boat at NO cost............that is how I started.
4. Buy a small trailable sailboat and sail it every weekend........that is what I also did for many years.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 09:48   #25

Well over 20 years ago I decided to pursue the dream. I knew I wanted to live aboard and travel to the Caribbean. So with 12hrs sailing under my belt I bought a 37' catamaran and began my adventure. Best advice I have ever gotten was "Just go out and do it" and when comes to docking "If you think your going slow go slower" Go for your dreams and turn them into great memories. Good luck
paulfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 09:58   #26

Do a weekend course or a flotilla-type course with an instructor, near where you currently are. Should cost significantly less than $6,000.

Put the rest towards your own boat.

Another option would be to buy the boat you want, and pay an instructor to "get you up to speed" on your own boat. That might be your best investment.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 10:00   #27

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Many good options being said! I would like to add one more. Get something solid to live on, the type previously mentioned. Then get a Laser or something like it to learn how to sail. Nothing beats a dinghy to tell you what you are doing right or wrong. We have a Portland Pudgy for our dinghy, with the sailing kit. Something like that works too, as mentioned earlier.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 10:42   #28

For what it’s worth. I went from a sunfish and a few weekends on hobies to a 30 ft Wharram. Figuring it all out is half the fun. Glad I didn’t wait until I was “ready” Go for it
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 10:52   #29

Someone once told me, "Learning to sail is one of the easiest things there is, learning to do it well is another matter."

"I" tend to be a hands on sort of guy so I would have no issue with taking baby steps, finding the tough spots, asking questions, then moving to another step. (Self taught paramotor pilot.) But that is me, you need to do an honest self evaluation.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 10:56   #30

If you are moving to Florida, I suggest Fort Lauderdale where you could explore Sailing Singes of South Florida, and active club that might lead to fulfilling both of your objectives. https://sailingsingles.org/
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, training