Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55   #16

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Regardless of what caused the authorities to inquire about the anchoring intentions, "Thinwater's" advice is wise. As most all liveaboard cruisers are honorable and contributing citizens, it's to our advantage to present ourselves as such and not to have people believe that those using derelict boats as low income housing are the standard.

I agree completely! Any port official that wants to inspect my vessel, documentation, or check me out, is more than welcome. I have nothing to hide.

A professional, courteous approach to such inspections goes a long way to make life better for all of us...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03   #17

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Having spent 10 years in the british sbs counter terrosist group I always found that if we were courteous to boat and ship owners and they were courteous to us it made the visit aboard les sterssful. After all non of us wants to see drugs/guns being brought into our countries for the purpose of causing injury or fear.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:16   #18

No bid suprise here The condo owners represent the money in that or any community on the water They bitch ,the cop have no choice but pretend they are trying to rid the area of us low life transients To bad the state law has bypased their local laws
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59   #19

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
I'd complain to the condo owner of their building marring your view of a perfectly good beach

. . . .them things is UGLY
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:37   #20

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Funny you should mention that. The condo complex was massive and ugly, at first I thought it was a parking structure built in the Soviet style. It was in an urban setting 100 yards from a bridge, so no great damage done.
One thing to keep in mind is that these property owners down here in Florida have taken a beating in their real estate values and they are very touchy. For the most part they're retired and living off their portfolios, which also are not doing so well.
Having worked the high end real estate market in SF for years and done OK, I do have some sympathy.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:42   #21

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Funny you should mention that. The condo complex was massive and ugly, at first I thought it was a parking structure built in the Soviet style. It was in an urban setting 100 yards from a bridge, so no great damage done.
One thing to keep in mind is that these property owners down here in Florida have taken a beating in their real estate values and they are very touchy. For the most part they're retired and living off their portfolios, which also are not doing so well.
Having worked the high end real estate market in SF for years and done OK, I do have some sympathy.
See, I have this great idea: lets all go in together and buy a series of photo murals of water that they can paste to the inside of their sliding glass patio doors. Since the view is all most of the condo crowd ever uses of the beaches, they'll never know the difference.

mean, I know.....
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31   #22

Yep, once you are out of the US for a while you realize that we are NOT the "land of the free....". I've been in many countries by boat. I cant remember ever being approached on board by an official except when checking in....... Hell, I wasnt in Ft Lauderdale one day before I was approached by the local water police, Lake Union Seattle has become a Police state etc.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote