Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2009, 07:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Jury Duty . . . Yuck !

Some people never seem to get called. I, on the other hand, seem to get a new notice like clockwork every time the 3 year limit is up.

So, how exactly do you handle it when living aboard. It went to my parent's house, which I'm using just as a mailing address, so I think that would technically make me exempt, since I'm not a resident in that county.

Also, since they schedule it so far in advance, I may actually be gone cruising by then.

Is that enough to get out?
What if I am still here when the date comes?
What if I'm still here, but working from the boat full time, and sold the car by then, is lack of transportation an accepted excuse?
Old 20-10-2009, 07:16   #2

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Grunzster- same thing happened to us as we were readying cruise. Although a different court system, we gave them a call (way in advance) and advised them that we will be out of the country prior to, and during the jury duty dates.

Lot's of folks want out of jury duty and will seem to try any excuse. My latest experience was just to notify them and let them know we're not even going to be in the country... they were quite understanding.

Steve
Old 20-10-2009, 07:20   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
It is your civil duty to serve on juries. Just kidding. I would think that the jury pool is based on your driver' license address. We use St. Brendan's Ilse mail forwarding service in Florida and are out of the country 7 months out of 12. We have never been called in 6 years, Maybe because the local court system in Green Cove Springs knows that our address is that of the mail forwarding service.
Old 20-10-2009, 07:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

This is what I did, hopefully it works...although I hear NJ is one the bigger PITA states when it comes to getting out.
  1. Checked the box that says I don't live at that address.
  2. Wrote in the notes that it's only a mailing address
  3. Also, in the notes, explained that I live on my boat and will likely be out of state cruising at that time, possibly even out of the country
  4. Lastly, I wrote in the notes that by that date, I will also likely be a working on a freelance/contract basis, so if I don't work I don't get paid
FYI - I'm not BSing to get out, all of the above is true
Old 20-10-2009, 07:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
The last time i got sat on a jury the judge indicated (during the selection process) that being out of the country was a valid reason if you have a preexisting ticket. Plans of "might be out of the country" was not. Nor did they care about missing work (freelance/contract or otherwise).
Old 20-10-2009, 08:16   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
It has been my experience that your "inconvienience" is not an acceptable excuse and all joking aside it IS your civic duty. You live here and make use of all the rights of a citizen and with those rights come a few responsibilities. I really don't want to sound harsh but this is one of the few things that really piss me off. It's such an easy duty to perform. It's not like we are asking you to defend your country with your life or anything. Think about it, there ARE people who are doing that for YOU right now. I don't care about your politics or your view of our country or the world. You live here DO YOUR PART....m
Old 20-10-2009, 08:23   #7

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
wow...

now that is an opinion...
Old 20-10-2009, 08:24   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
we should keep this discussion in mind...

...the next time someone bemoans the fact that liveaboards are seen as undesirables in yet another coastal jurisdiction.
Old 20-10-2009, 09:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Hey cantxsailor,
I do understand the whole duty, not asking me to go fight a war, etc., etc. But I'd consider not having a vehicle in an area with crappy public transportation to be more than just a inconvenience. How the hell am I supposed to get there? Take additional money out of my pocket to rent a car? Do they even cover that expense?

Furthermore, being out of state...or even more so out of the country on a boat would be WAY more than just an inconvenience. And I'd say changing my departure date and potentially putting myself and my vessel at risk would be a little more than an inconvenience too.

I'm not looking for excuses, just to get out, I really am trying to cut the dock lines soon. Also, maybe it's time the whole jury system gets some updating. Why is it that some people are never called, yet others get that notice every few years as soon as the limit is up? Why not make it go right through the alphabet from A-Z that way everyone gets called equally? Or how about this. With the great economy and unemployment rate, why not call people who are unemployed first.

Yeah Bash, land lubbers are never full of tons of BS excuses to get out jury duty.
Old 20-10-2009, 09:33   #10

I don't want to belabour this but I'll bet there are working folks who through no fault of their own have to use that same crappy transport system to get to work every day to do their duty to their family. I'm sorry to be a hard ass but there are very few valid reasons for skipping on this duty.

Don't get me wrong I don't like going but mostly because I know I'll never get picked because of my attitude about most things(as you can surely tell)

Look, I can't make you go but you did bring this here for validation. You already know what the right thing to do is. Suck it up, do the deal, the rest is just excuses.......m
Old 20-10-2009, 09:38   #11

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I'm the kind of person who would never be accepted any way. I'm a retired MD who was sued repeatedly, I think drunk drivers should get life, etc.
Old 20-10-2009, 10:21   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Some people never seem to get called. I, on the other hand, seem to get a new notice like clockwork every time the 3 year limit is up.
Sign up to the Goat Sailor project (Link below )............and then try and recruit the judge
Old 20-10-2009, 10:26   #13
Marine Service Provider

cantxsailor - Ok, I'll give you that first one, but NO I didn't come here for validation, and it not an excuse. I really may be out gone by then. Everyone seems to be skipping over the big question. Out Cruising! Should I seriously be expected to buy a plane ticket to fly back for jury duty?

And I'd never get picked either, because I've my disdain for the entire system. The one time I got called up, I told them the plaintiff was a tool, it was a frivolous lawsuit, and there was no way I'd rule in their favor. "NEXT!" was the response.

Also, I should have added before, in response to Bash's post. If I was in a coastal town for an extended period I'd have no problem going. Like I said, I'm not looking for excuses. I really am trying to get the #$#@ outta here. If any cities on SE Florida want to send me a notice for early next year, I'll be more than happy to report.
Old 20-10-2009, 10:34   #14

In the past when you got the notice did you show up? Were you picked for a jury? Were you dismissed with thanks? The quickest way to get off the list is to go. Before I was even a citizen I would get summons in the mail I would make a copy of my green card and send it along with the notice.

Once I became a citizen(2000) I got a summons(2005) and went to the cattle call. I was dismissed and have yet to be called again but it has only been a few years.

By the way most places get your name because you are registered to vote. You are, I assume, registered to vote...........m

Perhaps like my inability to hear AirX generator noise it's all a matter of perception
Old 20-10-2009, 10:40   #15
Marine Service Provider

Showed up every single time I was called. Called up once and dismissed (see my previous post). Every other time, I just sat in the waiting room the whole time.
Closed Thread