Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 23:50   #1

Boat: Columbia C45 45'
Jabsco toilet problems

I have two Jabsco toilets that a few weeks ago I put new joker valves in and cleaned everything to make sure everything worked well. The one in the main head is again filling with water and has low pressure when flushing. Anyone have any suggestions?
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:35   #2

Boat: Hunter 40
Re: Jabsco toilet problems

The seal between the suction and discharge sides is probably leaking.

One motor two pumps! The suction impeller is a rubber affair, while the discharge is a finned plastic disc behind the macerator blade. Now behind the discharge impeller is a brass/bronze ferrule that slides over the shaft, around that runs a seal to stop the intake water leaking into the discharge side then the bowl.

I have thrown out my Jabsco toilets as they are not reliable and expensive to repair. I now use TMQ ones. Slightly larger intake and discharge ports (1") but they work well and are less expensive than Jabsco to repair.

I run a charter boat for upto 60 passengers, last night we went through 14 rolls of toilet paper! Yes, they do get a work out!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:15   #3

Boat: Bayliner 3988 MY

Take a look at the Aqua II from Johnson Pump. They use a dedicated macerator pump and a dedicated water pump which you can mount remotely.
Same dimensions otherwise and you have the option of fill, flush and flush/fill switches.
The large bowl model is on sale at Defender.

I just did both heads and am very happy but more important, the Admiral loves the household size seat.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
I have two Jabsco toilets that a few weeks ago I put new joker valves in and cleaned everything to make sure everything worked well. The one in the main head is again filling with water and has low pressure when flushing. Anyone have any suggestions?
a. What model?

b. Clean water or waste backflow?

c. Do they share a waste tank?

If it is clean water it is unrelated to the joker valve. Depending on the model, as a poster said, there is a defective valve. It could also be a bit of dirt in the intake valve, which is easily removed (but a little tricky to re-assymble--look at the diagram). An inlet filter helps.
Sail Delmarva: Easier Winterizing

If it is wastewater, it could be 3 general things:
1. More flushing is needed. There should be no waste in the hose. 2. Joker valves can backflow slowly if anything gets in the seal. This isn't necessarily a real defect, but just the character of marine heads.
2. Waste line is too long.
3. Back pressure due to a bad vent. Do they share a waste tank?

If it is a Jabsco manual head and is more than 5 years old, the best cure is to replace the pump assembly. For not much more than the price of a rebuild kit you get effectively a new head and installation is dead easy, often easier than swapping the joker valve.
Old 13-11-2012, 07:19   #5

The model is 37010,they do not share the same tank. They have separate feeds and discharges.

I have made sure the joker valve is seated properly.
Old 13-11-2012, 07:50   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The 37010 is Jabsco's basic electric toilet. It is designed to be flushed with raw water from outside the boat.

"The one in the main head is again filling with water and has low pressure when flushing."

If the toilet is mounted below the waterline a bad impeller would allow water to leak past it and fill the bowl. It would also cause you to have low pressure on the inlet water when you flush. Check the impeller, the pump body and the pump gasket.
Old 13-11-2012, 08:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

If it's filling with water, that indicates not only an imperfect seal with the flapper valves and/or pump, but an issue with your anti-siphon loops.

It should be clear whether the bowl is filling from the intake side or discharge side, so trouble shoot from there.

The parts, cost almost as much as a new pump, so I keep a new pump on hand, to swap out in it's entirety, and then fix the old one to have on hand.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 13:17   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The 37010 is Jabsco's basic electric toilet. It is designed to be flushed with raw water from outside the boat.
If it's an electric toilet, it possibly has a solenoid valve used to activate the flush function (our #37045 model does). It'll be located somewhere in the supply line. The solenoid valve can go bad, and one symptom is "clean" water (i.e., not waste) filling the bowl. A bad solenoid valve is not particularly recognizable; the one I just replaced looks pretty much just like the new replacement -- no visible damage or wear. Quick replacement -- assuming you can find it and access it -- solves the issue of unwanted clean-water fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
It should be clear whether the bowl is filling from the intake side or discharge side, so trouble shoot from there.
Yep, it would be useful if OP could clarify that point.

-Chris
Old 13-11-2012, 13:59   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

In case you don't have them, here is a link to the instructions and parts list for your toilet.
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/itemdoc1431.pdf
Old 14-11-2012, 07:31   #10

I replaced it with a new Jabsco Quiet Flush that Marine Supply Exchange had on sale. I was going to replace the pump on the old one but the new toilet wasn't much more with the sale.
Old 15-11-2012, 05:24   #11

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
I replaced it with a new Jabsco Quiet Flush that Marine Supply Exchange had on sale. I was going to replace the pump on the old one but the new toilet wasn't much more with the sale.

Mine is a Quiet Flush. About 10 years old. Replaced the pump motor last year, and the solenoid valve a couple weeks ago.

Tried to service the motor with their repair kit first, didn't work well enough, and wasn't worth the effort anyway (ugh!) -- so simply replacing the motor was easier/faster/better. I'd gotten my money's worth...

-Chris

Tags
jabsco