Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2005, 09:09   #16

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Thanks

Thank you guys for the nice comments. I do still owe on her but I am making bigger than required payments to take advantage of the no interest clause. Also I'm trying to get my departure date that much closer. I'm within two and a half years now. Viva Mexico and points further South.

Hope to see all of you out there some day soon,

brad
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 15:15   #17

Windthief.

One day you just might meet me. I might be cruising through that area. And since you are a mechanic. We mechanics stick together.

But as of now. I do not own a boat. But, in the near future, I should be owning one. So by that time we probably could.
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 16:10   #18

Can't wait

I hope so, I have run into a couple people from this and another site here in Pt. Loma. Either outfitting or coming up from Mexico to re supply.
Old 06-12-2005, 17:26   #19
Kai Nui

Windthief, My best friend is down there in CI harbor. Calls me on a regular basis to tell me about sitting on deck drinking Margaritas, in the sun, while we are sitting here in the fog.
Old 06-12-2005, 20:16   #20

PM

Windthief.

Check your PM.
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:13   #21
cruiser

Re: Can't wait

Quote:
windthief once whispered in the wind:
I hope so, I have run into a couple people from this and another site here in Pt. Loma. Either outfitting or coming up from Mexico to re supply.
Wow... I was just there the week before Thanksgiving. I had to go to San Diego on business. Can I give an honest opinion? (no flames here... please?)

I really liked visiting Palomar and going out into the desert, but the area along the coast (right in San Diego, and going north from San Diego toward Orange county) was a little congested for my taste. I was hoping to see more nature, like the photos you posted, but I never was able to find any. It was just car after car after 6 lane freeway after smog after car.

Where do you go in the area when you need to get out of the sprawl? I just couldn't find it while visiting.

Try not to take offense. I'm just a dumb tourist who couldn't find good places to hike.

By the way... I did find a great breakfast place in Mission Bay and a good Mexican place right next door. YUM.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 13:15   #22

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Brad - it is 27 degrees with a stiff NW wind (prevailing winter wind). I just cleaned up the frozen dog turds from the back yard and I just want to say... Cruel. You got a mean streak. Good thing I'm a tough yankee (and fly out to southern cal each winter). Explain to Sean we don't go for privacy. 14 million in LA county ? Love that weather ! And the people are great, too !
Enjoy your "winter".

capt lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 18:06   #23

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
Sean,
Can't say I can disagree with your opinion. If you're looking for "uncongested" in southern California, you'll have a hard time finding it! From San Diego, you would have to go north about 300 miles, or south 150 miles or so - into Baja past the border towns! Lots of good mexican places there too....
Old 07-12-2005, 19:01   #24

Gentleman please.

All of those,granted, terrible things are why I have and live on my boat. I sail when I want to get away from all of this madness. The pictures are the fruits of a 19 hour sail and maybe 4hours from Los Angeles(which I would never live). For me a shorter trip is going to the Coronado islands 16nm South into Mexico or taking an overnight sail to some of the new marinas between here and Ensinada.
Myself personally I rarely go east of I-5 and further North than Del Mar unless under sail. I work on the water and am on a minimum of three boats daily, sail and power. Nature I have when I look West!

No offense was taken.

Brad
Old 07-12-2005, 19:05   #25
cruiser

Excellent reply, Brad. Having just visited, then seeing your picture, which looked very nice, I was wondering what I did wrong not to find that type of place.

I suppose us East Coasters sometimes just don't understand the true size of things out west. I should have driven much farther to find some of that stuff.

BTW: Are there a lot of liveaboard in San Diego? When we (wife and I) passed by the harbor, we saw a lot of boats that would easily lend themselves to being liveabords. We also noticed a heck of a lot of nice pilothouses.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 19:39   #26

There are no live aboards allowed in Mission Bay, but in San Diego we are allowed a certain percentage of liveaboards per how many slips a marina has, something like 12%. So where I live on Shelter Island my marina has 13 or 14 liveaboards ond we're over our limit. The marina next door, Shelter Point, has 36' to 40' liveaboard slips available now. But it is steep, I pay $600.00 plus $30.00 or so for electricity and another $300.00 for liveaboard privilages per month that's on a 39 foot slip. OUCH!
where I was working today the fairway has at least 15 pilothouse hulls. I serviced a yanmar engine on a 46 pilot by Island Packet and I reffered to the salon as a great room to the owner it was huge.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:36   #27

Boat: currently "on the beach"
When people hear we spend time in southern cal, they always comment on how crowded and all that traffic. I don't get it. Anyone tried to drive around Boston and the associated highways lately ? We are just as jammed here. Many people face a commute of easily over an hour and and half. I don't see any difference between the two, except, cal has a better highway system and the drivers usually relax instead of doing the "weave". The marina crowding problem is just as bad too. Both seaboards have too many people, but it is the price you pay for water access.
Brad - my son says it is 40 at night in LA right now, so even you guys are getting less than ideal weather. Still, better than the 8" of snow headed here tomorrow. You may need your "parka".

capt lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:56   #28

OH YEA

It's not tropical here by any means. Last night it got down to 55 degrees and my sissy ass had the space heater on. Luckily we get free electricity right now if your boat has more than four strands of christmass lights. Funny thing is that I spent more on christmas decorations and lights than my electricity bill would have been. The day time temps are something like 70 degrees here on the coast.