Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 13:46   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Is this a crazy idea?

I'll add a bit to Ann's good advice:

Buying this boat when you have zero experience in sailing or living aboard is not a good idea at all. You simply have no basis for evaluating its suitability to your purpose, let alone its condition.

I too feel that it is overpriced, especially when you consider the significant costs of trailering it across the country. I feel quite confident that you will find a far better boat for your purpose in the same price range when you arrive on the east coast. Lots of boats, lots of surveyors, lots of chances to sail on other folks boats to gain some experience.

And I too feel that it is pretty small for living aboard, especially with no standing head room. We have known couples cruising in such sized boats, but that is a different application than shore based living aboard.

If your goal is to become competent long range cruisers, don't spoil your chances by buying an unsuitable first boat and jumping in the deep end.

Good luck and welcome aboard CF.

Jim
Old 27-06-2019, 17:34   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Is this a crazy idea?

My Wifeís Father designed boats for Hatteras, Century and some others.
According to him, the absolute worst forces a hull ever sees is when itís being trailered, the reason is all the weight is concentrated in a few spots.
If you trailer one, especially a long distance, remove all the weight you can, and by no means try to treat it as an open space you can pack stuff into for the move.
30ish ft boats in Fl and in SC are a dime a dozen, They are nearly worthless, meaning you can pick them up for very little money.
Iíd never consider doing what you talk about. There is just so much more supply in SC.

30ish is in my opinion the smallest that makes sense, and only then if you can stand up. A trailerable boat that you donít intend to trailer makes no sense, a lot of things are given up to make a boat trailerable if you donít need that, then donít get one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:20   #18

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Many marinas that allow live aboards have a 30 ft minimum. Better check that you can find a place to allow living on a 25í before doing anything else.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:28   #19

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstosea View Post

So yeaÖ is this crazy? Should we keep going and see this thing through? Or is it wise to wait til we get to SC and shop for a boat there with more options? Am I leaving out any pertinent information?
For the record... forums (sadly) tend to be the last place you should post if looking for encouragement or the confidence to move ahead.

That said... I say follow your instinct.
It sounds like this solves a few problems for you and gets you out sailing. This, like every other decision in life can be a stepping stone rather than a permanent decision.

If you hate it than you move on to something else/go back to land. If you love it you'll likely buy another boat eventually anyway and this means you'll do so with far more info/context than you have now.

Good for you for going after your dreams!
Make it happen!!
theDangerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:38   #20

Think twice about pulling a trailer over that distance. The gas cost will kill you and then you will have problems with the trailer. If you do, replace the bearings on the trailer before you go and re grease them on way or you will be on the side of the road with a jack under the trailer.
rogerosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:40   #21

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

1. Bigger selection of used boats on the East Coast. Fuel economy trailering a ballasted boat might be as much as half your regular gas mileage. Factor in the distance you will trailer, with price of gas, and it will make it easier to buy on the East Coast.

2. Living in a marina, with shoreline toilets and showers is very doable in a 25' boat. The dock is always available to stretch you legs. Try dinghying into shore on a cold rainy winter day to take a shower, go shopping or go to work. Life on a hook presents a lot of challenges for the unprepared.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:58   #22

That is a lot of money for an old 25 foot dayboat. Don't do it. go to charleston and get much more boat for less money than that. For what it's worth we have cruised and lived on a 27 for over 10 years without hardship and we are not kids but old timers
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:05   #23

Boat: Celestial 48

Just so ya know, living in a small sailboat in the summer sun in a marina on the South Carolina coast in July and August will be torture. Out sailing on the water not bad, but stewing in a marina in southern heat and humidity is not fun. You can install an air conditioner and sit inside your boat like a couple of sardines, but also not fun. If you are going to live aboard down south get a 32' or larger boat with an air conditioner, or get an apartment and a cheap trailer boat for day sailing. My opinion.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:35   #24

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I do not know of a marina in California that would allow liveaboards in a 25 foot boat, even where we are now in Humboldt Bay which is pretty lax regulation wise. I would check to see what they say where you are going.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:37   #25

a64 sez: "the absolute worst forces a hull ever sees is when it’s being trailered, the reason is all the weight is concentrated in a few spots."

Let's paraphrase him: "The absolute worst stresses a relationship ever sees is when it is confined to a 25 foot boat. The reason is that there is NO escape from personality foibles that are trivial on land."

The foibles come to the fore because all the little tasks a civilized person has to perform to remain civilized are SO much more difficult when living aboard, particularly in such a DIMINUTIVE space as is afforded by a 25 footer. They take twice as long. Just simple personal hygiene can become a bone of contention in such a situation.

So think carefully before you act. Living aboard is NOT what it is made out to be by romantics who have not "been there"!

Commuting to and from work (or family) - if that is necessary - will be awkward and time-consuming. Total "occupancy cost", when rightly determined, is not likely to show a savings over shore-side living.

“So yea… is this crazy?”, you ask.

Yes, it's crazy. And apparently, on the basis of what you've told us, also unnecessary!

All the best,

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:48   #26

Boat: Fisher 34

Very spartan living it'll be in a 25-footer.
Me and my wife have lived all-in-all about 2 years in a 34 feet very heavy (read quite big and voluminous at 12 ton) motorsailer, and it still feels very confined dwelling
Yes, we are a bit elderly lot (read need more comfort maybe), but still, to live in a sailing 25-footer with no escape (even if for a while) seems to me might well ruin your interest for sails.
olddog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 11:49   #27

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

25' is too small. I have lived for short periods on a 27' boat that had a inboard diesel and stand up headroom. Fun. However a 25' boat is different altogether. To small to live on. You won't believe the fatigue that being stooped over all the time causes. $9000+ for a 1981 25' boat is no bargain at all and in fact there are youtube sailors right now sailing all over the east coast on 32-36' boats for that price. Wait till you move, take asa and look around. You won't believe the number of boats for sail from NC to Jacksonville. In fact there is a thread on this site for $10k boats. Good luck
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 12:29   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Living in a 25' trailerable sailboat? Maybe if you're newlyweds. And a trailerable boat primary design consideration is the trailer, not the water.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 14:31   #29

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
For the record... forums (sadly) tend to be the last place you should post if looking for encouragement or the confidence to move ahead.

That said... I say follow your instinct.
It sounds like this solves a few problems for you and gets you out sailing. This, like every other decision in life can be a stepping stone rather than a permanent decision.

If you hate it than you move on to something else/go back to land. If you love it you'll likely buy another boat eventually anyway and this means you'll do so with far more info/context than you have now.

Good for you for going after your dreams!
Make it happen!!
Wow, I couldnít agree less on most of your comments. Most of the comments made on this post were made by people who have spent countless years living and sailing on boats of all sizes. The OP doesnít have a crazy idea, they just have some crazy ideas about achieving their goal.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:47   #30

Boat: Volkscruiser

How about this family of four happily living on a 28 foot yacht?

https://schourup.net/2019/06/19/the-atlantic-crossing/

Not sure I would want to live on a trailer sailer.........maybe if it was 2-3 thousand I would give it a go just so I got a taste of the sailing life. Then move up to something with head room.
TheDangerz I look at this forum like asking divorcees about marriage, most posters here have been burnt by a boat at some stage so it follows that the advice might be a bit negative.....
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote