Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 23:22   #1

Is there such a thing as volunteer opportunities in return for sailing experience?

Would there be such a thing as volunteering as day crew for short trips to gain experience about sailing? Or alternatively offering muscle to sand or paint and other maintenance in return for getting out on the water and learning? We are based in Bundaberg, Qld, Australia and this is part of a 5 year plan leading to what we hope might be boat living in our retirement. Fit and healthy with a sense of humour.
DonnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 23:47   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Is there such a thing as volunteer opportunities in return for sailing experience

Sure! But you're a bit far from me here. I need some sanding help... but I am always happy to go sailing and take someone along. I bet you'll find many there too. Maybe just put a note on a bulletin board at the local yacht club?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 23:53   #3

Re: Is there such a thing as volunteer opportunities in return for sailing experience

Hi Don,
Thank you for your positive response. Great idea about the bulletin board.
DM
Old 21-03-2021, 00:09   #4

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaM View Post
Would there be such a thing as volunteering as day crew for short trips to gain experience about sailing? Or alternatively offering muscle to sand or paint and other maintenance in return for getting out on the water and learning? We are based in Bundaberg, Qld, Australia and this is part of a 5 year plan leading to what we hope might be boat living in our retirement. Fit and healthy with a sense of humour.
Go down and ask at the Slipway under the bridge over the Burnett River,
They would point you in the right direction,

Or ask at the Marina at the end of the river, Bundaberg Cruising Yacht Club,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 00:13   #5

Thank you for your advice Mr B. We will do that next weekend. DM
Old 21-03-2021, 00:14   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

I've seen some local clubs have online signups for crew volunteer for their racing seasons. You'll probably get yelled at a lot but you'll learn a lot
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 00:14   #7

Great idea! Thanks LoudMusic.
Old 21-03-2021, 00:38   #8

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Maybe there is an APP for Apple and Android phones? Since in today world everything is solved by Apps? Would also appreciate to have a link in the right direction. Am in Europe and could need some volunteer...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 02:01   #9

If you rock up at any yacht club on race days and are honest about your ability and enthusiasm, and are available on a regular basis I would think you are almost guaranteed a ride. Crew that can turn up every week and are willing to learn and work as a team are valued.
Being prepared to help with maintenance will be looked apon favourably!
I would suggest that gaining some experience in dinghy sailing would also not be wasted. The elements of sailing are simple and distilled blatantly in a small unballasted craft, but can be less obvious in a large heavy keelboat with many crew performing the different functions.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 02:03   #10

Hi Neville, thank you very much for your advice. I hadn't thought of dinghy sailing but that's a great idea and place to start. DM
Old 21-03-2021, 02:09   #11

Most yacht clubs run dinghy sailing courses, it really is the best way to learn as the boat will quickly respond to what you do and you can feel the results of every tweak, and mistake. Not so obvious as you go bigger.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 08:51   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Volunteering is how most of us got started in sailing. If you don't know anybody then just hang around the marina or local pub. Be prepared to do some "heavy lifting" as that is the surest way to worm your way onto someone's crew (and you'll learn some boat maintenance skills while you're at it)
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 08:52   #13

Boat: Hunter 456 -46

I have mentored several new boat owners with helping them get aquainted with there boats. I usually make contract thru owner groups I am active in or word if mouth. New sailors need all the experienced help they can get beyond the internet cyber sailors and boaters. This is how we learned and gained hands on experience 30-40 years ago. Open up, make friends, share and help the other guy. It comes back in spades.
Bill Creadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 09:03   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is there such a thing as volunteer opportunities in return for sailing experience

Quote:
You could try posting in the Crew Available section..
Just say where your located how far your prepared to travel, type of sailing your looking for.. prepared to do occasional trips or just day sailing, experience and are you reasonably fit and agile..
There's a few Aussies on the forum so you could drop lucky..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 09:09   #15

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I was in the same position many years ago.

I found out quickly that (at least here in the US) there are "yacht clubs" and there are "sailing clubs". Here in the US yacht clubs are more social setting with clubhouses and such, and sailing clubs are out there for the joy of the Wednesday night race or the joint sail to a neat location. I finally figured out the difference and was very generously adopted by several boats.

It may be for nothing but try a search for Sailing Clubs in your area. Or racing club, you'll know the vernacular better than I for your area.

Good luck to you!

Tags
enc, sail, sailing