Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Is Texas good for Cruisng/Liveaboard?
What part of "Friendship" don't you get, son? 3 15.00%
You can all go to hell; I'm going to Texas 12 60.00%
Drive fast, let the Yankees freeze. 6 30.00%
Yes, it's great. 6 30.00%
Don't mess with Texas. 3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 09:03   #106

Re: Is Texas a good place to cruise/liveaboard?

Liveaboard in Texas; ( I've lived/cruised California & Mexico for 20+ years )
Dumb question: I see lots of rain and humidity during hot (90F+) summer months. How bad is the mold, leaks, flooding, marina Life during these months? Ca & Mx are very DRY. Thanks ! Living out a hurricane in a Kemah marina for Extra credit, Lol !!
CaptnBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:58   #107

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Mold etc in Texas gulf coast (and really anywhere) is best combatted by any or all of the following:
- Use of a dehumidifier
- Running your AC (at dock on shore power) - some can be run in Humidity Control mode
- Leaving fans running inside boat to move air
- Cleaning and wiping down surfaces frequently with disinfecting wipes, or other mold control solutions
Old 12-01-2022, 12:52   #108

Boat: Wild Marine, Custom Cat, Wild 45, 45+/-feet - Masalama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnBry View Post
Liveaboard in Texas; ( I've lived/cruised California & Mexico for 20+ years )
Dumb question: I see lots of rain and humidity during hot (90F+) summer months. How bad is the mold, leaks, flooding, marina Life during these months? Ca & Mx are very DRY. Thanks ! Living out a hurricane in a Kemah marina for Extra credit, Lol !!
I can't really speak from experience or knowledge about the Texas coast away from the Coastal Bend - Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Ingleside, Aransas Pass, or Rockport, but I have been in and around the Coastal Bend since the early 1950's. Rainfall is lower than the national average, with more sunny days. Drought conditions have been going on now for several years. Heat and humidity are less as your get closer to the Gulf where predominately onshore wind reduces both. Mold and flooding have never been a significant factor in my marina life in Corpus Christi or Port Aransas. Marina life improves during the summer season with the big influx of Texans (and neighbors) escaping the heat in the Southwest interior. Hurricanes are an ever present seasonal risk but are mitigated by new floating dock construction - Port Aransas, Corpus Christi, Island Moorings. Properly moored vessels on floating docks (and some others adequately tied off and anchored in sheltered areas) survived Hurricane Harvey without major damage.
Two factors offset the downside of the Coastal Bend, the lowest marina rates in the country and the predictable afternoon onshore breeze (+/- 10-20 kn).
Old 12-01-2022, 19:55   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

What Dwightsusan said. We've been here for 14 years (Corpus Christi and Port Aransas). Windier in CC. We DID have substantial hurricane damage from Harvey, but it was all related to the rig failure on our neighbor's boat. Dwight/Susan, are y'all in the City Marina? We are on pier 2. "Merlin". Black mast. It will be a couple of weekends until we get down again, but stop by.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 03:13   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
What are the relevant politics like? That is, for example, does Texas or their DNR stick their fingers into anchoring along the ICW?

Do they have things like municipally controlled mooring fields?

Are they unreasonably concerned about anchored-out liveaboards and derelict vessels?
The only pax who think concerns about derelicts are unreasonable are pax who either aren’t there or who themselves contribute to the dereliction problem
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 17:19   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
The only pax who think concerns about derelicts are unreasonable are pax who either aren’t there or who themselves contribute to the dereliction problem

I honestly think Texas needs to do a better job with this. The upside to regular hurricanes is that abandoned boats get taken out. Our Parks and Wildlife is tasked with policing the waterways. You will find them very particular about safety. Not much else matters, they will pretty much leave you alone. The USCG is way more particular.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 22:01   #112

Bumping this old thread

I live in Austin and am starting down the sailing rabbit hole. I’m taking lessons this summer and thinking a cc or port a would be a reasonably good place for me to store a boat and build up my sailing resume. I could do weekends and holidays. And I get to work 1 month remotely for work.

Does that seems like a reasonable plan to go from newbie to somewhat experienced by retirement (5 years)? Then spend significant parts of the year cruising
Dizzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:15   #113
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2016 Lagoon 450F 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyj View Post
Bumping this old thread

I live in Austin and am starting down the sailing rabbit hole. I’m taking lessons this summer and thinking a cc or port a would be a reasonably good place for me to store a boat and build up my sailing resume. I could do weekends and holidays. And I get to work 1 month remotely for work.

Does that seems like a reasonable plan to go from newbie to somewhat experienced by retirement (5 years)? Then spend significant parts of the year cruising
You may also want to consider Galveston Bay and Kemah. There’s already a large liveaboard community and you have more sources to parts and services.

By chance are you considering a Catamaran?

Chris
Houston450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:37   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston450 View Post
You may also want to consider Galveston Bay and Kemah. There’s already a large liveaboard community and you have more sources to parts and services.

By chance are you considering a Catamaran?

Chris
Thanks for the response

Really thinking of anywhere on the Texas coast. It seems like the easiest way for me to get offshore experience. Just wanting to make sure that they’re fun coastal cruises for weekend trips.

I am looking at cats. No way to get the family interested any other way
Dizzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:49   #115

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Im my opinion the best Texas cruising grounds are the "Coastal Bend": Corpus Christi/Port Port Aransas area. Certainly not a bad area to start. There are no books or pamphlets that truly describe "how to", just many stories how other folk did it. If you are serious and diligent, you will find your way. Some love the life and others not.

BTW, I am selling my Pearson 365 ketch this year after 22 years of cruising Texas coastal waters. PM me if you want to discuss Texas cruising in more detail.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:37   #116

Boat: Wild Marine, Custom Cat, Wild 45, 45+/-feet - Masalama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyj View Post
Bumping this old thread

Realistic and reasonable. "Corpus" is arguably the least expensive and most convenient place in the US to keep a boat. "Port A" less so. Also a great place to find a bargain boat. Consistently favorable higher winds prevail year around. "Feels like" temp. drops significantly when on the water and in a breeze. Hurricane damage can be mitigated locally with good planning. 5 years is realistic. Opportunities to crew or to find potential knowledgeable crew exist locally in this friendly community. Many seasoned sailors would advise, "start with a small boat before moving up to a cruiser meeting your needs". AUS to CRP 3+ hrs. driving or flying. Sail Wild 45.
Old 04-04-2023, 15:24   #117

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Had a friend who kept his boat in Palacios, which is closer to Austin than either Port Aransas or Corpus or even Rockport.

Its a long sail to the matagorda ship channel, took us most of the morning on a Catalina 27.

Palacios bay is shallow outside the channel.
Old 04-04-2023, 23:33   #118

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN TEXAS IN JULY WHEN. . . .

The birds have to use pot holders to pull worms out of the ground.

The trees are whistling for the dogs.

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.
You can make sun tea instantly.

You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron!

The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a little chilly.

You discover that in July it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.
You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

The potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper.

Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs.

The cows are giving evaporated milk. Ah, what a place to call home.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 23:39   #119

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It seems though God was working around the earth herein /texas, trying to make it beautiful just like the rest of the world. He had to knock off because it was nighttime. And He said, "I'll come back tomorrow and make it just as pretty as the rest of the world,with lakes and streams and mountains and trees." And He got back the next day, and saw that the ground had completely hardened, like concrete. And He didn't want to begin all over again. No! In His infinite wisdom, He had an idea. He said: "I know what I'll do. I'll make some people that like it this way!"
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 13:35   #120

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If you want something to last a long time do you put it in the fridge or the oven?

Just saying

Tags
cruise, liveaboard, texas