Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 11:42   #16
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Is living aboard affordable?

I think the answer is it depends.

I'm in an inexpensive marina in downtown Jacksonville Florida. I'm paying $328/mo for my slip and electric for my 41' boat. There's a 60' houseboat here that would be costing about $550/mo for the same.

But I also own a 17 year 3 bedroom house in nice condition here in Jacksonville that I brought a little over a year ago for $58k. I rent that to my daughter for $500/mo so with electric it's costing her around $620/mo

So those are fairly close to each other far as cost/size. But that is because the deal here in the marina is great and they really don't allow liveaboards.

Now on the other hand I was in Washington DC last year on a mooring paying $30/day to be 1/2 mile from the Mall. In the marina there were 2 story house boats that were probably paying around $600-700/mo. That would be a fantastic deal for the location in DC.
Old 22-02-2019, 12:02   #17

Boat: Sea Ray 270

Just curious. Did you consult an attorney? I don't know the exact terms of your insurance policy but it sounds like you got screwed. In my experience you ALWAYS have to get a lawyer involved when dealing with a house fire (was a volunteer fireman and learned a lot). You most definitely have a cause for action against your neighbor. You didn't mention if you insurance company went after them or their insurance company.

As for living aboard, as the others have said in your case it is all about the marina and availability. I would also suggest that you visit all the marinas in the area you want to live and ask lots of questions about boats for sale. Usually you can find a boat already there that would fit your needs and you can get a good deal on it AND already have a slip.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:28   #18

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate moving onto a boat. But I live in Kansas and my boat lives in Florida. My wife and I are working on a plan for us to move to boat. We take several 2 week trips a year on the boat. Not sure my wife would enjoy it as much for a long term solution but I would love it.

40'foot boats for sale have accumulated recently bringing prices down a bit. One thing you could do is purchase a boat and save your money for a house later. Then you could have a house and boat. Or sell boat later. It does seem house prices are on the rise and still rising. Save your money until the market cools off is an option.
I do agree, finding a place for your boat is a priority before purchasing boat. You may even find a boat for sell in a live aboard community with a slip that will transfer. Remember, my advice is worth the amount you paid for it.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:30   #19

Boat: Freedom 32

I made a decision some years ago. I no longer believe everything I read.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:35   #20

Boat: Seaward 22

A big difference is generally a home is an appreciating asset vs a boat is a depreciating asset. I view money spent on a boat as money that I'll probably see 50% of when it is time to sell.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 13:23   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you're going to live on a boat in Florida, and you've already had the experience of having your entire home gone in a flash...remember that is hurricane country. Your boat will not be insurable in hurricane season, unless you also have plans for a haulout or a hurricane hole or other accommodation. You might want to check out the complications and costs that will involve, before thinking about moving onto a boat. It can be done, obviously. But should be considered up front. And if you previously haven't been boating...the insurance will be similar to that of a first-time car driver: Steep.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 14:04   #22

Don't ever mention the words "live aboard" to a lender or insurance agent.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 15:58   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Though we have not lived aboard for the recent two years; we found living aboard and cruising less expensive than our friends living nearby on shore from 1972 to 2017. All those inexpensive years allow us to do well ashore now.
Old 24-02-2019, 06:54   #24

Thank you all for the advice, I will take most of it and apply it to my decisions. I am just weighing my options here, I spent 12.5 years in the Marine Corps, so living it rough I've done many many times, and my early years as a Marine, I spent a few years living 4 to room in a small 400ish sqft room, so living minimal in small spots has been done in the past and I'm pretty sure I can do it again if I really wanted to. The amount of toys and luxuries we buy and accumulate over the years is just amazing, blew my mind how much I lost when I really sat down and thought about it for the insurance paperwork.

In regards to the insurance, I'm already working with a lawyer on it, but so far he is leaning more to the side of it just not being financially feasible to continue going after. Firstly the neighbor did not have homeowners insurance so my insurance couldn't sue their insurance, they are a Greek couple here on Visa, they bought the house with cash years ago and just visit a few months of the year as retired folks, unfortunately, the house is the ONLY asset they have in their names here in the USA and just reaching out to chase the case international has resulted in minimal assets available in Greece.

In regards to my ability to maintain a boat, im very mechanically inclined, i grew up in Alabama as a child on my Mother's side of the family on a farm, so ive worked on diesel engines, gas engines, generators, electrical, and plumbing growing up. We did all the plumbing and wiring on new barns when we put them up and i rebuilt a few engines with my grandfather in the equipment.

In regards to boat, most of my experience boating is when i was child when i spent part of my custody time with him on his boats growing up, and when i was in high school, we had an old boston whaler we restored and rebuilt the outboard motor on that my grandfather picked up basically for free. So i would probably need to get some refreshers on everything, maybe take a class. When i was a kid i did sail my dad's smaller 27ft sail boat myself many of times.

In regards to boats, if i was to buy a boat and live on it, i am aiming at something that could potentially do the great loop, my dad always talked sooooo much about the great loop on how it was the best everything, so i was thinking i would complete the loop myself in the near future and maybe spread some of his ashes along the route in his memories.
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 13:01   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

storx-
Ask your lawyer. In some states, if a house is physically being used as a prime residence, it is immune from seizure. But in most states, whatever is left of that house--and the real estate itself--are subject to seizure. It won't matter if they are from Greece or Mars. The property itself has value, and the nice folks who burned your house down can just go and get a mortgage, or reverse mortgage, or sell it off and become tenants, if that's what it takes to settle a judgment.
Nice of you to say you just lost all your stuff, and they can keep theirs...but unless your state gives them immunity from this, all may not be lost. And if they ignore a judgment, that might well affect their visa status, which in turn would end their residency, and allow a forced sale.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Right?
Old 24-02-2019, 23:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
storx-
Ask your lawyer. In some states, if a house is physically being used as a prime residence, it is immune from seizure. But in most states, whatever is left of that house--and the real estate itself--are subject to seizure. It won't matter if they are from Greece or Mars. The property itself has value, and the nice folks who burned your house down can just go and get a mortgage, or reverse mortgage, or sell it off and become tenants if that's what it takes to settle a judgment.
Nice of you to say you just lost all your stuff, and they can keep theirs...but unless your state gives them immunity from this, all may not be lost. And if they ignore a judgment, that might well affect their visa status, which in turn would end their residency, and allow a forced sale.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Right?
Ya, actually the lawyer i hired did talk about that, he mentioned that they claim it a homestead, so its immune to go after. He was telling me some things he has dealt with over his years as a lawyer, that greek people, at least the few hundred cases he has dealt with live by the means of cash only. They simply keep minimal amounts listed in bank accounts and maintain all in cash in either safe or safety deposit box. He is studying more on the international laws before he deems my case not worth the effort, but he is also filing with the court to know if they have a safety deposit box in their names or the ability to search their property for a safe. He has had many cases go against him because on paper the Greek people had barely above poverty income levels with literally no money in the bank, but their lifestyle that they could prove didn't match the income level the paperwork showed. So they were award court access to search the contents of their safety box and found that the couple had like 400k in cash, which then turned into a nightmare of a case due to now tax fraud brought into the situation from years of claiming so little of income and savings... just the way they live he was telling me.
Old 24-02-2019, 23:45   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Depends on you, the boat and where you stay. Marinas are expensive. Not doing proper maintenance is expensive in the long run. If you have skills or can learn the skills to do most of the maintenance and repairs, then you eliminate a big expense. Find someplace to dock other than a marina. Some people rent private docks at usually less than half of marina costs, but w/o all the marina services.
I have lived aboard much of my life. I have a private dock now and in the past always found other private places to dock. I don't care for the marina social life or the typical dock nazi that runs the place.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:46   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

storx-
Sorry to hear that.
I've been told (by an Argentine friend) and some business articles about Greek national financial problems, that in both places not paying "income tax" is considered a point of great pride.
Pursuing hidden assets can be a costly or complex piece of work, depending on just how clever people have been. And they often aren't as sharp as the tax men. Case in point, I was working big-ticket retail a long time ago, and a man comes in with a paper bag stuffed with 10's, 20's...more than a year of salary or rent. While I was trying to figure out what to do (hey, I didn't want any miscount or other issues point at me) I asked him, if he didn't mind, how or why he was paying all this cash?? And he jovially explained he ran a deli (which I knew) and that every 5th sandwich went under the counter. That is, the cash never went into the register. Who would know?
Some time later I mentioned this to someone who was an IRS agent, and he said not so clever. When they think someone in that situation may be cheating, they'll send someone to "buy lunch for the office" and bring back six or eight sandwiches, every day, for maybe two weeks. And they'll literally count every slice of tomato (comes from a produce vendor) every slice of bread (from a bakery) every slice of meat, pickle spear, napkin, tin foil or paper bag....each comes from a different vendor and there should be matching receipts from every one of them, in matching proportions. So if 50 sandwiches require 100 slices of bread, 50 pickle spears, five pounds of cold cuts....they'll tally it all up and ask to see his expense receipts. Ooops, he's been paying the pickle man in cash? And then everything gets thrown out and the real fun begins.
Then there was a clever fruit-and-vegetable store. In NYC these have been traditionally run by waves of immigrants since forever, changing owners often every five years or so. One year the new owners gave the tax man a shoebox full of their expense receipts, and while he was looking at them, something looked familiar. So he pulled the faithfully copied and logged receipts from the previous owner--and found the same big expenses for the exact same refrigerator room, etc. Again, the axe came down. Disallowed everything.
But at the same time, some people are sharper. It is a battle of wits, and I can agree that sometimes, there's no way to win the game. Good luck either way.
Old 27-02-2019, 02:28   #29

Could you elaborate more on this, because I'm curious your trick of the trade to find these,
Old 01-03-2019, 08:42   #30

Boat: Scout 30

Not sure what you got for your settlement but if you look for a home in West Pasco or Spring Hill you might be surprised at what you can get. Prices have been climbing but there are still deals out there. For affordable waterfront I'd check out the Hudson Beach area. I did a quick search & found 8 small waterfront homes for sale under 200K. You can still find nonwaterfront homes under 100K although they might need some work.

While I share your dream of living aboard it's important to remember that boats are depreciating assets. Right now homes, if bought right, are a good investment.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard