Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan O/I 33
Is Living Aboard A Reality for Me ?

Ok, So I know this question has been asked thousands of times here. However, I would like to get into the community and participate in the forum so I will ask it anyways. I recently (3-4 months ago) discovered the possibility of living aboard a small sailboat, and fell in love with the idea. Now what I want to know is if people in the community think that its a possibility for me.

I have been cruising the forums for the past couple months and reading everything possible that i think would apply, and reading alot of these "can I live aboard" posts. So I will give you some background information and what I'm hoping to achieve living aboard. Please keep in mind that I have absolutely no sailing experience. This is another challenge. If anybody could tell me how to get some experience sailing I would greatly appreciate it. I have posted ads at the local marina's offering a hand and to split expenses to anybody that is willing to let me tag along and learn the ropes. I am a navy veteran and have a fair bit of nautical knowledge, just no sailing knowledge.

So these are my basic ideas and parameters. All of which are flexible. Im just getting into this and taking everything slow as I feel I would really enjoy this lifesyle if i can get into it correctly. Im not trying to jump into anything and get over my head.

- I am a single 25yo male
- living in daytona beach, fl and will remain here for a while
- I would plan on getting a slip at one of the local marina's for the convenience of going to school and work.
- I would like to get a boat to live aboard, but also do weekend trips and day sails.
- I would like something that I could sail solo.
- My initial budget for a boat is roughly $10k
- while at the dock I would use shore power and water
- I seem to favor the sloop design for its simplicity over other setups
- initial thoughts are that i would like something between 25-35 ft.
- slip fees in the area seem to be around 8-10$/ft and 50$/month for utilities. which is far less than what I'm paying in rent.

So please any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Anything you can offer about getting experience, finding a boat in my budget, if you think i can find a boat in my budget, if you think its possible to learn or grow my knowledge on a 30ish foot sloop, or any advice you can think of. The plan is to, if possible, get experience and find a boat by september of this year. Is this realistic? or do i just have a huge pipe dream?

And thank you so much to anybody that replies.
JDRichlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:10   #2

Re: Is Living aboard a reality for me?

Single, 10k boat, getting a slip, 25-35 feet, sounds reasonable to me.

Go on yachtworld.com and find some boats that you think might be in your range, make a thread asking for some opinions, and go from there. Regarding "far less than paying in rent", boats can (and for $10K will) be expensive to maintain in seaworthy condition.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Is Living Aboard A Reality for Me ?

Sounds to me like you have, indeed, done your research. Good luck with your project
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22   #4

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

Of course you can!!
There are currently 55 sailboats on yachtworld under $10K on the east coast.
My first boat was a Hobie 18 and the second is a 40' cruising catamaran on which I am now living and cruising.
Go for it!!
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Is Living aboard a reality for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Regarding "far less than paying in rent", boats can (and for $10K will) be expensive to maintain in seaworthy condition.
Agreed. If you're going to sail the boat actively, budget around $500 per month to make that happen. This includes an account to save for new sails and rigging.

If you're not going to sail the boat actively, you may find your welcome to be unenthusiastic in some liveaboard communities. I remember once when someone bought a boat on our dock, moved aboard it, and immediately hung a wind chime from the boom. The second week she installed a planter box on the aft end of the cockpit coaming. Without meaning to she was telling the sailors on the dock, "I'm not one of you." Her boat never left the dock, and she never became part of our community.

Anyway, if you're really going to sail the boat and keep in seaworthy, it's not going to end up being cheaper than renting a studio apartment.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34   #6

Excellent! Thanks for the positive feedback. I thought it sounded reasonable but i wanted the input from people that have done so before i jumped into it. I know i like the minimalist lifestyle and thats one big reason I want to get into this. I lived in a van in hawaii for a year and it was one of the best years of my life. But as far as getting experience goes, how should i accomplish this? I assume a 30ft sloop is not the boat to learn on. Ive posted ads at the local marinas offering a hand to anybody willing to take me out. How else could i get some sailing experience before i jump into this?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:42   #7

I know maintenance will cost will be higher with an older and less expensive boat. However I feel I can do most on my own. Im a licensed aircraft mechanic, previous sonar technician for the USN, and have my FCC "GROL". Im not afraid to get dirty and do my own work on the boat. Currently I live in a 2bed/2bath rental home on the beach and am being consumed by stuff. I am fairly convinced that slip fees and maintenance will be less of an expense than rent/maint./and utilities at my current location
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48   #8

For experience if you dont mind driving check out lakefairviewmarina.com they are in orlando,fl and offer basic asa courses as well as rentals. I learned there last year hoping to buy a boat this year if i can talk the wife into it. Check the events page as they are having a free open sail day sometime this month
Erussellcfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erussellcfi View Post
For experience if you dont mind driving check out lakefairviewmarina.com
Ive actually checked them out online previously. And if I cant eventually get some experience from locals an asa course is what I plan to do. Im just hoping to find a way to get some free or cheap experience. Other than posting at the marina's does anybody else have any ideas? Or are any daytona area people members of this forum and want to help me out? Ide be happy to travel a reasonable distance in FL to go sailing.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15   #10

Hi JD,

I just got back from a terrific sailing school experience in the BVI's. Try Rob Swain Sailing out of Tortola. I met Rob and he's a great guy and a true laid-back sailor type. I took the "Fast Track to Catamaran" course which is 9 days including several ASA certifications that you should definitely have. It includes Basic Keelboat, Cruising, and others, depending on what you choose. It's a huge help with navigation, living aboard, provisioning, and you go out with an owner/instructor for a week. You can pick the guy's brain all you like and it's a fun way to learn. And of course, it's a week sailing in the BVI's, which, as the great Arthur Bach said (from the movie "Arthur") "doesn't suck". Tell Rob I sent you if you do go. They also have a base in Rhode Island.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRichlen View Post
I assume a 30ft sloop is not the boat to learn on. Ive posted ads at the local marinas offering a hand to anybody willing to take me out. How else could i get some sailing experience before i jump into this?
No reason why you can't learn on a 30ft sloop (or bigger - or smaller).

Indeed big advantages to learning on own vessel (by self or with someone more experianced onboard).....but I would nonetheless mix that up with sailing on other people's boats (OPB), some formal courses (esp on Navigation / Collision Regs) as well as the basics of what you are meant to be doing (even if not all terribly applicable)....may shorten your initial learning curve a bit, or at least make it a bit less expensive ......a good chance that once you have "Boots on the ground" with your own boat in a Marina etc that opportunities to crew with others will open up.

No idea about the practicalities of what you propose in your locale - I suspect it falls into the category of "can be done, but will you want to?" (for long)......the only person who can answer that is you. After you have tried it!

But FWIW, sounds like you are better equipped than many to give it a go, both in having some practical skills and by having already used your noggin .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15   #12

Does anybody know anybody in the Daytona beach area that wouldnt mind talking to me about local issues involved in living aboard? I think having somebody local that could help me along would be a huge help.
Old 05-03-2012, 20:30   #13

ST?

FT(SS) over here
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:53   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRichlen
Excellent! Thanks for the positive feedback. I thought it sounded reasonable but i wanted the input from people that have done so before i jumped into it. I know i like the minimalist lifestyle and thats one big reason I want to get into this. I lived in a van in hawaii for a year and it was one of the best years of my life. But as far as getting experience goes, how should i accomplish this? I assume a 30ft sloop is not the boat to learn on. Ive posted ads at the local marinas offering a hand to anybody willing to take me out. How else could i get some sailing experience before i jump into this?
My first aircraft mechanic job was at a glider school in Hemet, Ca. I lived in a cab over camper for a year. Wont say it was the "best" year of my life but it sure was fun at the time.

Don't sweat the local knowledge stuff too much, too quick. You just posted. Some folks log in infrequently. Keep an eye on the crew wanted ads. Keep kicking around the marinas. Find out where the racing is. For my buck, crewing on race boats is an awesome education.

- be reliable. Always turn up and turn up early
- be prepared to do the crap jobs. Volunteer for crap jobs
- be dedicated. Nothing worse for me than some guy who wants to be part of the team but is really showing up for free rides and a booze cruise
- be smart. Try to remember what you are told and internalize it. Its a pita to teach the same lesson every week to a newbie
- self study sail trim and racing tactics so you can have a better idea what is going on and what people are doing - the more you self study the more useful you will be
- in the beginning keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. If you have questions or comments keep them between you and other rail meat. The skipper pays for the privilege of making the decisions, its not a democracy. Feel free to ask the "first mate" (you'll soon figure out who he is) or the skipper after the race at the bar
- be prepared to sail with some a-holes. Try to remember what it was like sailing with an a-hole when later you have new crew - you likely wont - LOL

You will get the "only start in dinghy's" advice. I don't think that is strictly necessary but if given a choice find a 24 foot J24 to start on. Sub 30 feet is a great learning platform.

PS - your liveaboard plan sounds great. I'd personally want 30 feet but single I could do 27. Lot of difference between 25 and 27 imho.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 21:05   #15

That is one thing i can say about the class i took no a-holes i dont think i would enjoy it as much if i learned from someone with that personality, its all about keeping it fun. I occasionally rent on the weekends. You would be more than welcome to join me but there again You would have to drive to orlando....
Erussellcfi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard