Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 17:44   #46

Re: Is Living Aboard A Reality for Me ?

I am new here, but I like this thread. I plan to live on a boat in the Caribbean when I am older. I am 19, so once I finish college and work for a while to make some money I think I am going to buy me a nice old boat and move on down to where the weather is nice.
radman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 18:14   #47

Boat: Hunter 33'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbj402000
Go for it man, hell what you pay in rent easily covers marina fees/. I grew up on a boat and loved the fun of it all. a big plus for single men is the pick up line hey want to come stay on my boat! let me tell you that one works a treat and who knows you may find a like minded lass with the same ideas and next thing you know your cruising the bahamas with your sould mate.
wow i think i just spelled out my life!!
haha
Wow,,, you just spelled out the life that my man plan. It's nice when you have that special someone to share that VERY VERY small space with.
Old 28-03-2012, 06:08   #48
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Is Living Aboard A Reality for Me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRichlen View Post
Ok, So I know this question has been asked thousands of times here. However, I would like to get into the community and participate in the forum so I will ask it anyways. I recently (3-4 months ago) discovered the possibility of living aboard a small sailboat, and fell in love with the idea. Now what I want to know is if people in the community think that its a possibility for me.

I have been cruising the forums for the past couple months and reading everything possible that i think would apply, and reading alot of these "can I live aboard" posts. So I will give you some background information and what I'm hoping to achieve living aboard. Please keep in mind that I have absolutely no sailing experience. This is another challenge. If anybody could tell me how to get some experience sailing I would greatly appreciate it. I have posted ads at the local marina's offering a hand and to split expenses to anybody that is willing to let me tag along and learn the ropes. I am a navy veteran and have a fair bit of nautical knowledge, just no sailing knowledge.

So these are my basic ideas and parameters. All of which are flexible. Im just getting into this and taking everything slow as I feel I would really enjoy this lifesyle if i can get into it correctly. Im not trying to jump into anything and get over my head.

- I am a single 25yo male
- living in daytona beach, fl and will remain here for a while
- I would plan on getting a slip at one of the local marina's for the convenience of going to school and work.
- I would like to get a boat to live aboard, but also do weekend trips and day sails.
- I would like something that I could sail solo.
- My initial budget for a boat is roughly $10k
- while at the dock I would use shore power and water
- I seem to favor the sloop design for its simplicity over other setups
- initial thoughts are that i would like something between 25-35 ft.
- slip fees in the area seem to be around 8-10$/ft and 50$/month for utilities. which is far less than what I'm paying in rent.

So please any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Anything you can offer about getting experience, finding a boat in my budget, if you think i can find a boat in my budget, if you think its possible to learn or grow my knowledge on a 30ish foot sloop, or any advice you can think of. The plan is to, if possible, get experience and find a boat by september of this year. Is this realistic? or do i just have a huge pipe dream?

And thank you so much to anybody that replies.

There's a HUGE difference between a 25' and a 35' sailboat, both in space below and ability to sail alone -- especially if you don't have much sailing experience, and I suspect that is the case.

I think you should split the difference and look at about 30'. There are LOTS of older boats in that size range. Take someone who knows a lot about sailboats with you to look the boat over, and then if you think it's the one you want, I strongly advise a professional survey. In your price range you can find a lot of "hidden" project boats -- flaws that will not be immediately obvious, especially if you're not familiar with sailboats.

Also get an engine survey if it has an inboard engine. If it has an outboard, make sure it's sound or that you have the money to buy a new one, because GOOD used outboard engines suitable for sailboats are rare. Guess how I know.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard