Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2019, 20:08   #31

Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

South Shore Harbor Marina right next to Lakefront Airport in New Orleans has slips available and allows liveaboards.
Kumbaya31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 20:38   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbaya31 View Post
South Shore Harbor Marina right next to Lakefront Airport in New Orleans has slips available and allows liveaboards.

As does pretty much the whole Panhandle of Fl too.
It’s the big, high buck cities that you can’t find a slip to live in, places like Ft Lauderdale, Miami and apparently California.
A lot of the rest of the world has empty slips that they would love to rent, although it seems Marina’s where the land is expensive seem to be disappearing, they are more valuable with Condo’s being built there, and the slips go with the Condo’s.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 00:55   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I thinks there's a couple of aspects to this;
The first is that many marina's simply take the opportunity to seek the revenue that can be extracted. It's interesting to note that the responses revolve primarily around the US.
Secondly, the notion of living on board is aspirational to many; the reality can be quite harsh. Its one thing to be gliding along in a gentle summer breeze but when it turns into a howling freezing wind, there is the constant jangling of loose halyards, its impossible to warm the boat interior, and there is condensation everywhere once the temperature increases slightly inside the boat, then the romance rapidly fades. For many, living on board might be a financial need rather than a desire to be a hottie. In my experience, those people are not always the best image givers. Against that, those trialling the life style can also get a shock when the weather changes and they have to schlepp to the shower block and the laundry etc. If living on anchor then you have the chore of getting ashore each time via the dinghy.
With ever increasing costs it can drive people away. Am I bothered? To be honest, no.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 01:10   #34

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Easy with a sizeable boat in our part of the world and I imagine same in yours.
No marina berth required
Simply stay far enough away from where the weekenders and authoritah frequent and stay well away from places with names like "Bums Bay".

If I needed a berth, it wouldn't be that difficult.
But it would be $1500/mth+ expensive
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 01:19   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
This is the right answer (at least in our experience WITH a 50’ Cat.

Take a transient slip and get to know the dockmaster and staff. If you’re cool long term slips tend to open up magically.

If you’re not cool or act entitled not so much :-)

Excellent advice. I retired to San Diego on a new 36' Jeanneau and signed onto a waiting list, told that it would take about a year to get to the top of the list for a live aboard slip. After three months, getting to know me and the boat, I was offered a live aboard slip.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 07:59   #36

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Quality sea/water front property is getting more and more expensive and the number of wealthy with nice boats is going up. The environmental quality police are getting more stringent. Lots of people with lots of money are demanding more quality of marinas... and they are willing to pay for it. Basically, the people with money to burn is bumping up against a situation that is becoming more expensive.

In the eyes of a lot of influential jerks, unless you have an 80 foot superboat you are part of the unwashed masses.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 08:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
My sources are the two dock masters where my boat has been moored in MDR.
I see A LOT of people confusing 'policy' (company rule), with 'Ordinance' (municipal legislation), and State/Federal Law.

Sometimes it's because people don't understand the differences. Sometimes, it's because you can't argue with the 'messenger' if it is an ordinance or a law, and it's an easy way to end the argument.

I'm not saying that is what is happening here. I just like to push back when someone starts handing me a line about why I can't do something because 'they' say so.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:44   #38

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

One idea which I have used is to go in as a transit, then negotiate a monthly rate, while working on your boat. Boats always need work. This worked for me a few years ago in the "John Wayne Marina," near Port Angles, WA. I worked on my boat all winter. Come spring I left.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:45   #39

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Marinas in Honolulu/O'ahu are really tightening up. The private ones require full annual inspections, insurance etc. Live aboard slips are hard to find and live aboard fees double slip fees.

The public marinas are hosts to lots of floating trash heaps. The State is now going to raise slip rates in an effort to clear out the "riffraff".
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:45   #40

We’re currently in a marina where the official rule states no liveaboard. It’s all over the signs at every gate. Yet the manager is clearly aware that several of us live on our boats and doesn’t say anything about it. It’s a bit of a don’t ask don’t tell policy.

If we caused a mess or were a pain in the ass to deal with, I’m sure that would change.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 13:39   #41

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirate View Post
We’re currently in a marina where the official rule states no liveaboard. It’s all over the signs at every gate. Yet the manager is clearly aware that several of us live on our boats and doesn’t say anything about it. It’s a bit of a don’t ask don’t tell policy.

If we caused a mess or were a pain in the ass to deal with, I’m sure that would change.
Exactly.

I’m sure there are areas that are unfriendly to liveaboards. They seem to be fairly concentrated in areas of high population. But if you live aboard, and especially if you actually cruise, then why would you stay where you are unwanted? Move somewhere else.
Old 21-01-2019, 13:52   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I've found that many marinas that have a no live aboard rule are very happy with "Full time Cruisers." How they perceive you and your boat make a difference. Like clearing into other countries, dress well, pay quickly, and keep the boat looking (and actually) ready for sea.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 08:20   #43

Hi All,

You think coconut grove free anchorage is possible?. Any of you over there...???.

All the Best.

Chavo
chavodelocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 08:30   #44

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavodelocho View Post
Hi All,

You think coconut grove free anchorage is possible?. Any of you over there...???.

All the Best.

Chavo
I was there last weekend and have friends who live aboard at anchor there.

Crowded and again the problem in the outside anchorage is not the liveaboard but the liveaboard that quits and leaves the boat to rot or stays and rots with the boat.

The other thing I noticed was the state of the dinghys at the dinghy dock. Just an absolute mess, looked like a homeless camp.

There was a time you would pull up and see rows of tidy little vessels properly tied off and ready for service. Those days, at least at the grove, are long gone and that is why I think so called liveaboards are getting a bad name.

“Full time cruisers”, now that I like :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 08:33   #45

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Please cite your source. AFAIK, there is no such State law or regulation. There are some LOCAL jurisdictional limits, Marina del Rey supposedly has a 5% restriction, and of course many marinas, either privately or publicly owned, don't allow any liveaboards at all. But most of the restrictions are simply rules established by the management of the individual marina, be it privately or municipally owned.
The Long Beach Harbor Marina system in Southern California allows for up to 10% max live aboards. We put our name on the list and were told 3-5 year wait. Our name came up after just short of a year. After a interview process and boat inspection we were granted the permit. We are transitioning and will be full time beginning April 1st.
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard