Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2019, 22:58   #16

Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Please cite your source. AFAIK, there is no such State law or regulation. There are some LOCAL jurisdictional limits, Marina del Rey supposedly has a 5% restriction, and of course many marinas, either privately or publicly owned, don't allow any liveaboards at all. But most of the restrictions are simply rules established by the management of the individual marina, be it privately or municipally owned.

My sources are the two dock masters where my boat has been moored in MDR.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 05:36   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I don’t think that a “liveaboard lifestyle” was ever as popular as some think, and is probably getting less popular over time.

I disagree, what we are both likely thinking as a live aboard lifestyle is increasing, it may be due to population increasing, more people moving into the cities or the near impossibility of Urban living on minimum wage, or I think it’s all the above.
But for many, it’s either live on an old boat at anchor, or under the bridge, cause they can’t afford anything else.
It’s also the reason I believe that so many people that live in expensive waterfront houses want them gone, and guess who controls the local governments?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 07:48   #18

Boat: None

Fair or not, marinas view "liveaboards" and "cruising sailors" as very, very different things. We have had no problem staying as long as we want, even including at Halifax Harbor. But we have a seaworthy and fully operational boat, no junky car in the parking lot, no crap piled up on the dock or decks, no wash hanging on the lifelines, and a boat that is (mostly) ship-shape and neat. We are "living aboard" at a nice marina in Ft. Lauderdale at the moment, and it hasn't even come up in conversation with the marina staff or dockmaster.

I advise you not to ask if they allow liveaboards, because that has become a trigger phrase. Just ask if a slip is available, and if so, reserve it. I suspect that, in most cases, the "liveaboard rule" will be invoked only if you turn out to be one by their definition of the phrase. And as to that, well, while many, even most, people who live in a trailer are not trash, the phrase "trailer-trash" exists for a very good reason. Based on a few conversations with marina employees, it's my impression that they view "liveaboards" as trailer-trash on a boat.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 08:08   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

RV parks will often have an age limit on the RV’s and it can be as little a 5 years.
Our 5th Wheel was considerably older than many of the age limits, but in good shape as I kept it in an aircraft hanger when it wasn’t being used, so it aged well.
I was never asked the age, nor was I ever turned away either.
I suspect those requirements are used as a way to make a troublesome Tennant leave.
Old 20-01-2019, 08:12   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

However some places based on need, just won’t consider you staying on your boat.
I was in Clearwater City Marina a few years back and talking to the one of the dockhands and asked if they allow Liveaboards, he looked at me like I was insane and said that they are a nice Marina, they aren’t ever going to allow those kind of people, then went on to complain about the ones that anchor out close by, how they come in at night and steal showers, throw away their trash etc.
Old 20-01-2019, 08:37   #21

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But for many, it’s either live on an old boat at anchor, or under the bridge, cause they can’t afford anything else.
IMHO, this is exactly why the "live aboard" community has become synonymous with "trailer trash" in many marinas and cities.

People who get an old dilapidated, un-navigable boat to live on because they "can't afford anything else" has done a complete disservice and has generated severe restrictions in the US. The problem is that politicians don't differentiate between vagrants and mariners who live-aboard.

On the other hand, with many people in S.F. and other west coast cities pitching tents on the side of the freeway or public parks...perhaps it is just a matter of time until people get dilapidated hulls and start dropping anchors because they are 'homeless.'
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 08:39   #22

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
In the US, that wait list is what's going to bite you in the butt. I have not seen a drop in liveaboards in the SF Bay area (USA west coast), It's more that pretty much all marina's are 100% full up.

The option then is to take a transient slip (pay by day), which can get spendy. Though when factoring in liveaboard fees may not too high.

I would take a transient slip for a few days, then go anchor hither and yon for a few weeks, then rinse and repeat. I myself enjoy that far more then just being tied to a dock, 24/7

I have found that taking a transient slip for a week or so, allows the harbor master to get to know you. Sometimes slips open up for you then.

For a liveaboard slip, calling rarely works. You pretty much must show up. Ideally with the boat.

Finding a liveaboard slip is much like a job interview. Both you and your boat have to look good.. Many liveaboard boats tend to look a bit Appalachian after a time. That is a bit too lived in.

Also watch out for minimum length requirements as many marinas are starting to require 35 to 40 foot boats for liveaboard. I've seen 30' boats kicked out then. Varies by marina.
This is the right answer (at least in our experience WITH a 50’ Cat.

Take a transient slip and get to know the dockmaster and staff. If you’re cool long term slips tend to open up magically.

If you’re not cool or act entitled not so much :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 09:22   #23

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

My husband and I were looking for a "live-aboard marina" in Florida at one time. We found a marina we LOVED but they advised us they didn't allow Live-aboards. So, I asked them.. "well.. what if we were just there a lot?". They answered... "We love our members to be here a lot"... then I asked... "what if we were there SOOO often that you saw us all the time"... to which they answered.. "the more you are here the better... it makes our marina safer to have people here a lot". Then I asked... "What if we were here so often that some might think we actually live here?" The yacht master smiled and said "even better".. My point is... sometimes local rules don't allow living aboard, but the marinas aren't concerned. Most places just want you to pay your bills... and keep your boat clean and in good repair... and not be disruptive to your neighbors. And, certainly don't advertise that you are living on board.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 09:43   #24

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I don't know if this has anything to do with the lack of "live-aboard "slips here in Florida, however, the marina that we kept our boat at five years ago had about ten boats that were live-aboard's. Then one month, the marina staff told them that they would have to leave. When asked why, the response was that their insurance company was going to require them to install pump-outs at each slip.

Don't actually know if that is the reason or not................
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 09:48   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
...I advise you not to ask if they allow liveaboards, because that has become a trigger phrase. …
Like I said: “Don’t ask, don’t tell.” Don’t draw attention to yourself. Be helpful to the community, and don’t be an ass.

Of course your boat should appear presentable (although sometimes I do laundry and hang my skivvies on the lifelines ). But I think it’s important to stress that the concerns being expressed here mostly coming from a small part of the cruising world.

As cruisers, and especially as full time liveaboards, if I was being harassed or felt unwanted, I would move. There’s a lot of options out there. You can leave the densely populated areas, and get away from these problems.
Old 20-01-2019, 09:49   #26

Boat: Stamas, 320 Express, 34' LOA

I agree with JPA Cate above! I’m not a liveaboard but LOVE liveaboards!! I’m in Ventura, Ca and have a couple liveaboards on my dock and like JPA Cate says...they watch your boat notify you when something is up! Had very bad fires in Ventura last year and the liveaboards kept me informed, sent me pictures! I love them. I wish more marinas did too!
Ahneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 10:04   #27

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Here in the northeast it's possible. The real issue here is the cost of a slip. Several have correctly pointed out that less is more when it comes to declaring you intentions. It should also be noted that they type of live aboard you are goes a long way towards determining how the marina treats you. If you are TBS, transient boat scum, then you will have a harder time. If you are responsible, clean, well maintained, then you will be fine. Good luck.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 11:23   #28

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
My sources are the two dock masters where my boat has been moored in MDR.
They are making it up, or just repeating what somebody (their bosses) rrtold them. There is NO California state law limiting liveabords in marinas, either by percentage or minimum boat length. The only requirement in state law is to have a functioning marine sanitation device (head with holding tank, porta-potti, etc.) which mirrors USCG requirements such as overboard discharge disabled, etc.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 16:24   #29

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If your boat looks great and you seem a decent sort of crew--and you front up and do as Sailor Chick 34 said--your chances are infinitely better.

No harbormaster wants to see any rubbishly looking vessel and scruffy looking folk of dubious appearance in with the fleet under his/her control. Stands to reason. The fleet won't want them either.

I anchor out when I have to, but a marina berth is definitely easier living with water and power on site. Some even have pump-out facilities.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 19:27   #30

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Here in Portland, Oregon, it is now very difficult to find a liveaboard slip. (It is also hard to find full-time RV spaces.) The large immigration to Portland in the last few years has put pressure on our housing market. For low-income earners a cheap boat in a marina looks very attractive, and the marinas are deluged with requests. While there is no law, the marinas have decided to draw the line at 10%, even though they collect a $200/month insult for living aboard. My port neighbor lived aboard for a year or two but has since bought a house. The starboard neighbor moved back from Australia and has now bought a house as well. Both boats had broken engines and never left the slip. In years past liveaboards were wannabe cruisers, or returned cruisers, plus a few water rats; now it is often folks looking for a cheap place to sleep. With the price of slips increasing and boat values dropping a number of boats (and RVs) have been given away to get out from under marina and insurance fees. So the rivers have a substantial fleet of floating wrecks (and the streets have run-down RVs). And thanks to those floating wrecks on the rivers we are all lumped into the same undesirable group. Ugh.

As for not telling the harbormaster - best to ask around first. My marina just upgraded its security with person-specific access codes and a large number of high-res cameras. We don't have security problems in the marina, where the cameras are mostly located (we have horrible security problems in the parking lot where little has been done); the HB told me the enhanced security was to catch sneakaboards, which admittedly have been an ongoing situation.

To answer the OP's question, living aboard here is very popular - just for the wrong reasons.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard