Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 06:36   #31

Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

I've been living aboard for two years in New Haven CT. I have a two mile commute to work. Slip fee is less than $250/month (plus electric) at a full service yc with the best restaurant in the State on premise.
munimula62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:45   #32

I am concerned why we attach sterotypes to groups of people such as “live aboards”. Why blame a life style for what a few trashy people do? Our marina does allow live aboards for a reasonable extra fee, but the main thing here is the marina has standards that everyone not just live aboards need to follow. I have seen plenty of boats in marinas that are barely still afloat covered in green mildew and not live aboards. Why not just not enforce standards to keep your boat in a marina reguardless of what life style you chose to use your boat for. If you keep the standards up then your welcome to stay, if not then don’t complain when your asked to leave. I don’t think a whole group of people should be forced out because of a misconception that because they live on their boat they are trashy people.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:19   #33
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Unfortunately once the boat becomes their abode legally, enforcement can become very difficult legally.

A smart business looking to maximize profits would proactively prevent any such problems from developing in advance.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:33   #34

Your not evicting them from their home just the marina where they are tied. It is just as easy or difficult to make someone remove their boat from the marina regardless of weather or not they live on the boat or not.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44   #35

The link below is a good read supporting my argument. People tend to spread legal rumors as matters of fact when if fact they have no knowledge other than what someone else with improper knowledge has told them. One of these that I always hear in my part of the world in East Texas is how a game warden has more authority than any other law enforcement officer and can just waltz into your home with no probable cause or warrant. (NOT TRUE)

What Rights Do Legal Liveaboards Have in Marina Evictions? - Boating World
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM1968 View Post
I am concerned why we attach sterotypes to groups of people such as “live aboards”. Why blame a life style for what a few trashy people do? Our marina does allow live aboards for a reasonable extra fee, but the main thing here is the marina has standards that everyone not just live aboards need to follow. I have seen plenty of boats in marinas that are barely still afloat covered in green mildew and not live aboards. Why not just not enforce standards to keep your boat in a marina reguardless of what life style you chose to use your boat for. If you keep the standards up then your welcome to stay, if not then don’t complain when your asked to leave. I don’t think a whole group of people should be forced out because of a misconception that because they live on their boat they are trashy people.
Agreed.

Plenty of stereotypes and opinions how people should live or treat their boats. As long as they aren't affecting anyone, let them do as they wish.
bmonteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 14:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes to me the liveaboard lifestyle is the opposite of using marinas frequently, the whole point is the freedom that comes from the ability to live off-grid.

Thread title should IMO be changed to something like

"Where is full-time marina living still possible?"
I'm with you, marinas are at best a ripoff and are usually a depressing ripoff, they're sort of like wet campgrounds, ick. Anchoring out for a night or two and moving on while avoiding tourist traps and crowds is more my style. I'm heading up to Newfoundland and Labrador for my next foray.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 14:59   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

I think people confuse and combine as they see fit for whatever makes most sense for their position, the terms:

liveaboard
anchor out
cruiser

and there is no "point" really other than the doing it for whatever reason sounds good to each person

I sure don't feel there's a "point" to what I'm doing other than to have a good time and to stay on the sunny side of the dirt
Old 02-04-2019, 15:34   #39

Boat: 2000 Outbound 44

Well, here in ridiculously expensive Seattle, liveaboard has become a housing option - I mean literally. I've had students come take sailing lessons with the expressed goal of buying a boat so they could have somewhere to live. Yes, owning a boat and paying moorage is cheaper than renting a house or an apartment in this city (let alone trying to buy one), especially if you don't fix the shifter cable or anything else. Of course, the waitlist to be legitimately living aboard at the municipal marina is now 2 years. Private marinas in this area generally don't allow living aboard.
seabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 15:55   #40

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabum View Post
Well, here in ridiculously expensive Seattle, liveaboard has become a housing option - I mean literally. I've had students come take sailing lessons with the expressed goal of buying a boat so they could have somewhere to live. Yes, owning a boat and paying moorage is cheaper than renting a house or an apartment in this city (let alone trying to buy one), especially if you don't fix the shifter cable or anything else. Of course, the waitlist to be legitimately living aboard at the municipal marina is now 2 years. Private marinas in this area generally don't allow living aboard.
I live aboard on Bainbridge. Multiple reasons, but one is due to cost of living. I make a good income, and can afford a costly apartment, but I refuse to do that to my financial self.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:37   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonteiro View Post
Agreed.

Plenty of stereotypes and opinions how people should live or treat their boats. As long as they aren't affecting anyone, let them do as they wish.
The problem is a higher than normal percentage of live-aboards do affect the marina...so some marinas rule them out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:37   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, munimula, TCM, & bmonteiro.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard