Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 06:36   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

I've been living aboard for two years in New Haven CT. I have a two mile commute to work. Slip fee is less than $250/month (plus electric) at a full service yc with the best restaurant in the State on premise.
munimula62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:45   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 77
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

I am concerned why we attach sterotypes to groups of people such as “live aboards”. Why blame a life style for what a few trashy people do? Our marina does allow live aboards for a reasonable extra fee, but the main thing here is the marina has standards that everyone not just live aboards need to follow. I have seen plenty of boats in marinas that are barely still afloat covered in green mildew and not live aboards. Why not just not enforce standards to keep your boat in a marina reguardless of what life style you chose to use your boat for. If you keep the standards up then your welcome to stay, if not then don’t complain when your asked to leave. I don’t think a whole group of people should be forced out because of a misconception that because they live on their boat they are trashy people.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:19   #33
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Unfortunately once the boat becomes their abode legally, enforcement can become very difficult legally.

A smart business looking to maximize profits would proactively prevent any such problems from developing in advance.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:33   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 77
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Your not evicting them from their home just the marina where they are tied. It is just as easy or difficult to make someone remove their boat from the marina regardless of weather or not they live on the boat or not.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 77
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

The link below is a good read supporting my argument. People tend to spread legal rumors as matters of fact when if fact they have no knowledge other than what someone else with improper knowledge has told them. One of these that I always hear in my part of the world in East Texas is how a game warden has more authority than any other law enforcement officer and can just waltz into your home with no probable cause or warrant. (NOT TRUE)

What Rights Do Legal Liveaboards Have in Marina Evictions? - Boating World
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44   #36
Registered User
 
bmonteiro's Avatar

Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 13
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM1968 View Post
I am concerned why we attach sterotypes to groups of people such as “live aboards”. Why blame a life style for what a few trashy people do? Our marina does allow live aboards for a reasonable extra fee, but the main thing here is the marina has standards that everyone not just live aboards need to follow. I have seen plenty of boats in marinas that are barely still afloat covered in green mildew and not live aboards. Why not just not enforce standards to keep your boat in a marina reguardless of what life style you chose to use your boat for. If you keep the standards up then your welcome to stay, if not then don’t complain when your asked to leave. I don’t think a whole group of people should be forced out because of a misconception that because they live on their boat they are trashy people.
Agreed.

Plenty of stereotypes and opinions how people should live or treat their boats. As long as they aren't affecting anyone, let them do as they wish.
bmonteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 14:26   #37
Registered User
 
fish53's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 336
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes to me the liveaboard lifestyle is the opposite of using marinas frequently, the whole point is the freedom that comes from the ability to live off-grid.

Thread title should IMO be changed to something like

"Where is full-time marina living still possible?"
I'm with you, marinas are at best a ripoff and are usually a depressing ripoff, they're sort of like wet campgrounds, ick. Anchoring out for a night or two and moving on while avoiding tourist traps and crowds is more my style. I'm heading up to Newfoundland and Labrador for my next foray.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 14:59   #38
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,694
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

I think people confuse and combine as they see fit for whatever makes most sense for their position, the terms:

liveaboard
anchor out
cruiser

and there is no "point" really other than the doing it for whatever reason sounds good to each person

I sure don't feel there's a "point" to what I'm doing other than to have a good time and to stay on the sunny side of the dirt
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 15:34   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Boat: 2000 Outbound 44
Posts: 29
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Well, here in ridiculously expensive Seattle, liveaboard has become a housing option - I mean literally. I've had students come take sailing lessons with the expressed goal of buying a boat so they could have somewhere to live. Yes, owning a boat and paying moorage is cheaper than renting a house or an apartment in this city (let alone trying to buy one), especially if you don't fix the shifter cable or anything else. Of course, the waitlist to be legitimately living aboard at the municipal marina is now 2 years. Private marinas in this area generally don't allow living aboard.
seabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 15:55   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Posts: 613
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabum View Post
Well, here in ridiculously expensive Seattle, liveaboard has become a housing option - I mean literally. I've had students come take sailing lessons with the expressed goal of buying a boat so they could have somewhere to live. Yes, owning a boat and paying moorage is cheaper than renting a house or an apartment in this city (let alone trying to buy one), especially if you don't fix the shifter cable or anything else. Of course, the waitlist to be legitimately living aboard at the municipal marina is now 2 years. Private marinas in this area generally don't allow living aboard.
I live aboard on Bainbridge. Multiple reasons, but one is due to cost of living. I make a good income, and can afford a costly apartment, but I refuse to do that to my financial self.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:37   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,892
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonteiro View Post
Agreed.

Plenty of stereotypes and opinions how people should live or treat their boats. As long as they aren't affecting anyone, let them do as they wish.
The problem is a higher than normal percentage of live-aboards do affect the marina...so some marinas rule them out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:37   #42
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 40,487
Images: 241
Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, munimula, TCM, & bmonteiro.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
liveaboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the Liveaboard Life Still Free and Easy? DockDanger Liveaboard's Forum 57 23-08-2014 05:26
Is Cayman a Viable Option ? xeon_tsd Atlantic & the Caribbean 5 07-05-2011 10:29
Is This a Viable Idea to Make Money While Cruising? AdventureBoy Boat Ownership & Making a Living 10 25-08-2009 06:52
Upholstery Business? Viable CharlieRay General Sailing Forum 10 16-04-2009 11:50
Is repairing a cracked head viable? tylerz Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 02-09-2005 20:05

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.