Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2019, 21:03   #16

Re: Is liveaboard life still viable?

Hi guys and gals I'm looking at a 30 ft Hunter my dream is to travel up and down the coast. Docking only for food and work. I have small children and a wife that will be with me. I plan on later sailing to other countries.but for now I'm taking it slow and working my way up. Thank you for any help. Also my wife has no experience.my experience is I've worked on them as I've worked in marinas . I'm also a heavy diesel marine mechanic. I've worked on different class of ships but not much sailboats. I'm still resurching and this has been my dream since I was little
6nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 05:36   #17
Marine Service Provider

Well said.
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 06:38   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

6nomads,

I take that as 2 adults and 4 children. In a 30’ Hunter? And neither of you have experience?

It’s hard for me to respond to this proposal without sounding sarcastic or dismissive. Frankly the chances of success are almost nil. I can think of innumerable arguments against it. My guess is that if you proceed it will end badly, and beyond your imagination, should you press the matter.

One simple example:
6 people, one head, small holding tank. You will never leave the dock. And WHEN it breaks?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:27   #19
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Depends on the people.

I've lived for decades in circumstances more primitive than most Americans do tent-camping, including raising two crops of kids.

Do not assume everyone values comfort and "modern conveniences" as much as you do.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:45   #20

Contrary to what some people have suggested, in common usage "liveaboard" typically implies someone who lives on their boat and stays in the same marina with the possible exception of day sails and short trips. (Yes, technically anyone living on a boat is a liveaboard but words often have multiple meanings and this is the commonly used meaning in cruising circles and by marinas.)

Particularly in the southeast USA, liveaboards have gotten a bad reputation as some bad apples have picked up derelict boats on the cheap, parked them in a slip and generally make a nuisance of themselves....so some marinas have instituted no liveaboard rules.

Generally though if you are a cruiser passing thru, they don't have an issue...passing thru can include stopping for a month...sometimes 3...by the time you hit 3 months, if you keep the boat shipshape and don't make a nuisance of yourself, they will often won't have an issue if you stay permanently.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 08:13   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Depends on the people.

I've lived for decades in circumstances more primitive than most Americans do tent-camping, including raising two crops of kids.

Do not assume everyone values comfort and "modern conveniences" as much as you do.
Sounds like a book in there somewhere.

Maybe you should respond to 6nomads post above. Sounds like he could use your advice.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 09:38   #22

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The past 2.5 years I’ve been the length of the eastern USA 3 times. I haven’t really seen this “anti liveaboard” thing that always gets screamed about on cf. i haven’t seen it, because it doesn’t apply to me, but I bet there is an “anti boat trash” at most marinas and this gets called anti liveaboard by many.

Im a cruiser and am anti boat trash also. Only other boat trash likes boat trash.
Out of curiousity, how long do you stay put before moving alone?
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:05   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
6nomads,

I take that as 2 adults and 4 children. In a 30’ Hunter? And neither of you have experience?

It’s hard for me to respond to this proposal without sounding sarcastic or dismissive. Frankly the chances of success are almost nil. I can think of innumerable arguments against it. My guess is that if you proceed it will end badly, and beyond your imagination, should you press the matter.

One simple example:
6 people, one head, small holding tank. You will never leave the dock. And WHEN it breaks?
Maybe I missed it but where do you see four children? I only see a mention of children in the plural without reference to whether that meant two or ten.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 11:07   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

On the left coast most all marinas have a limited number of live aboard slips. They charge a premium to cover the extra cost of full time residence. In the marinas I've been to they are in very good shape. In part, perhaps, because there is such a high demand for those slips that being kicked out for non compliance is something they seem to want to avoid. I'm sure it depends on the marina.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 11:12   #25
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6nomads View Post
Hi guys and gals I'm looking at a 30 ft Hunter my dream is to travel up and down the coast. Docking only for food and work. I have small children and a wife that will be with me. I plan on later sailing to other countries.but for now I'm taking it slow and working my way up. Thank you for any help. Also my wife has no experience.my experience is I've worked on them as I've worked in marinas . I'm also a heavy diesel marine mechanic. I've worked on different class of ships but not much sailboats. I'm still resurching and this has been my dream since I was little
sounds like a recipe for misery and failure

no experience, wife, 2 small kids, 30' boat that I assume is older

braver than me, much much much braver
Old 25-03-2019, 11:36   #26
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Out of curiousity, how long do you stay put before moving alone?
on anchor?

1 to 14 days normally
Old 25-03-2019, 12:15   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
The past 2.5 years I’ve been the length of the eastern USA 3 times. I haven’t really seen this “anti liveaboard” thing that always gets screamed about on cf. i haven’t seen it, because it doesn’t apply to me, but I bet there is an “anti boat trash” at most marinas and this gets called anti liveaboard by many.

Im a cruiser and am anti boat trash also. Only other boat trash likes boat trash.

Your going to cruise the Gulf coast this year right?
When you get to Clearwater, stay in one of the City Marina’s, the one under the bridge is nicer.
Ask them after you get there and they see your well kept and your boat is too, and see if they allow “Liveaboards”.
What the dockmasters face as you do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 12:46   #28
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your going to cruise the Gulf coast this year right?
When you get to Clearwater, stay in one of the City Marina’s, the one under the bridge is nicer.
Ask them after you get there and they see your well kept and your boat is too, and see if they allow “Liveaboards”.
What the dockmasters face as you do.
Well I still wouldn't be a liveaboard even if I stayed on the boat 24/7 for a month. In Florida the term "liveaboard" has a meaning and I'm not it.

But what would I expect the dockmaster's reaction to be, as I doubt I would ask and open up a can of worms.
Old 25-03-2019, 13:48   #29

Quote:
. Only other boat trash likes boat trash.
Double upvote on that!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 18:14   #30

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

Quote:
Only other boat trash likes boat trash.

This is a classic quote you'll surely see again.

Tags
liveaboard