Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2017, 06:20   #46

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Is it possible to pay off debt while sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
My mileage varied...

Back when I had a real job (IT), which was very intense, I used sailing to clear my head. Hung out at a sailing school owned by a friend when I had the time (80+ hour work weeks were my norm). He kept after me to become an instructor, but I wasnt interested in turning my escape into work.

Then I had the opportunity to teach some professional technical classes and really enjoyed it. So, reconsidered and became a sailing instructor. That decision has offered me many great sailing opportunities, on many different boats, in many different venues.

Ive gotten paid to go sailing on all 3 USA coasts (E, W, and S), various E Carib venues, Belize, Guatemala, Panama, Colombia...

For me, the relatively small investment of time and money to become an instructor (and later an Instructor Evaluator) has paid great dividends, both financially and, more importantly, in sailing experiences.

Case in point, I ran an IQC (Instructor Qualification Clinic) in Belize last year. For some of the small boat work, we used a traditional Belizean fishing vessel. Sailing one of these had been on my to do list for years. The rest of the clinic we completed while cruising around Belize on a Leopard 38. Sure beats a week in an office somewhere. Great fun and I made a little pocket change too.

That is very cool, and I am considering doing something similar that what you did. Going from working as a Creative Director at a software company to daysailing tourists. Still got some ways to go with that plan.

What I did before was equivalent of you starting doing IT (something that you knew well) for a Marina or a Sailing business. Not long and you would of hated it both.

Changing a job completely to something that you like is a little different. Paying off debt or stacking cash away with a new gig is probably difficult.
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 07:32   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
That is very cool, and I am considering doing something similar that what you did. Going from working as a Creative Director at a software company to daysailing tourists. Still got some ways to go with that plan.

What I did before was equivalent of you starting doing IT (something that you knew well) for a Marina or a Sailing business. Not long and you would of hated it both.

Changing a job completely to something that you like is a little different. Paying off debt or stacking cash away with a new gig is probably difficult.
In my case I made this transition over many years. I think suddenly waking up one morning and deciding you want a radical lifestyle change immediately is much more problematic.

I started on this path in my 20s. Taught sailing and worked as a charter captain, pat-time for many years (1994 - 2004). Fired myself from my real job over a period of a few years (2001 - 2004)...starting with a cruising sabatical in 2001. We took off cruising for the second time in 2004. Started the first ever ASA affiliated school in Belize in 2005.

I think that sort of long term transitional plan has a much higher probability of success.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 07:53   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
That looks like an Australian sailing photo. . . .
I thought it was intentional. Sailing upside down financially.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 14:13   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I thought it was intentional. Sailing upside down financially.
Ah, didnt catch that at first...it displays right side up on my tablet and in Oz orientation on my phone. [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 15:15   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Your probably fine in the pre-BREXIT EU. Elsewhere you may be seen as a foreigner looking to steal work from the locals and maybe evading taxes as well. You might be OK in the US but you better make sure you learn and comply with local regulations and taxes. Flying under the radar may well work in most places but can make you vulnerable to competitors or unhappy or deadbeat customers. Temporary employment in a local shop is far safer but then you have to pay taxes. Credentials do not mean much in the gig economy, easily faked, not easy to verify.
Thanks for that but I am aware of the aspects of working " black " , what I am looking for is practical experience from people involved in the cruising / sailing world who have either needed , used or are a welder themselves . Not sure what you mean by " gig " economy ( maybe a typo ) nor why you think credentials ( certificates or what we call codings ) do not mean much , I can assure you proper ( lloyds / dnv / api , all of which I have and are easily verified ) are a prerequisite to being considered for any contract in the real welding world .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing