Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58   #1

Is It Possible -

to live on a boat away from the states without coming back or working retail? I am guessing yes and if so how? for example maintenance that is required to keep the boat afloat. I was told that bottom cleaning every 6 weeks is a good idea and was thinking going with no electric would be the way to go considering all the possible malfunctions. One concern of mine is I hear the bilge pump is a common malfunction that could cause the boat to take on water. Are there none electric bilge pumps for boats in the 80's that are safe? I thought somone might have some experience with this and be able to help with some ideas on preventative maintenance to keep the sail boat above water. Anyway I know I sound like a newb but I read the survey that said like 70% of sailers just did it, so I dont feel to bad
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Electricity can be simple and effective. When you ask about "boats in the 80's", do you refer to length or year of production? There are some devices that use the rocking action of the vessel in the water to pump water out of a boat. You certainly can live on a boat in or out of the US unrelated to your return or working in retail! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I don’t think you can get away with out having some electrics on board.
By law you will need certain navigational lights and VHF.

Yes you can have a manual bilge pump and should, but I don’t see electric bilge pumps on there own generally causing a boat to sink.
It’s more a question of how they’re connected.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:00   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
You should understand that living on a boat without electrics is much tougher than in a house without electrics. Compare it to living in a cave to get a feel of how it would be. I never met a liveaboard without electrics aboard.
Your question about the bilgepumps make no sense to me; install good electric Rule (or similar) submersibles. Manual is nice for backup when you are aboard.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:02   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
If you are not rich you will have to generate income somehow.

Bottom cleaning needs to be done periodically but six weeks is a very short interval in my experience.

You will need an electrical system for navigation lights at an absolute minimum. Solar panels and a 12 volt battery will suffice for that. Everything else can be hand-held and operate off internal batteries: VHF, depth sounder, GPS.

All boats should have at least one fixed-mount manual bilge pump like a Whale Gusher 10 and preferably two or three. Electric pumps are not necessary on a boat that will not be left unattended for long periods.

Here is your homework assignment:

Go to the library and look for authors Lin and Larry Pardey, Eric Hiscock, Joshua Slocum, Hal Roth, Don Casey and Bruce Bingham

There will be a pop quiz on Monday
Old 02-04-2009, 09:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Manual Bilge Pumps, for instance, are available from:
* Beckson Marine: Pumps by Beckson
* Bosworth
* Edson
* Patay
* Plastimo: Plastimo USA
* Victory
* Whale: Marine : Whale Pumps 12V Henderson Plumbing Bilge Diaphragm Submersible Pressure Water Systems Marine Caravan RV Shower Drain Portable Sanitation Purging Groundwater Solutions Voltage Electric

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 18:21   #7

Boat: s/v Annapurna (Contessa 26)
The electric system on the boat is only one of the many systems aboard that has many possible malfunctions intrinsic within its design. DC is necessary. AC you could do without, but it's nice to be able to entertain yourself with at least one comfort of land life inport- a computer.
Philosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:05   #8

I will check those books out Gordmay

My idea to go minimal electronics seems to fit in line with low budget as my ideal sail boat will be in the 2-4.5k range. And I'd like to avoid all the bells and whistles of electronics. Preferabbly by useing a wood stove/heater. And a solid sailing rig with a solid hull. I just dont know how long at max yall stay out at sea before for example X and X have to be done. Or coming to port for example. Sure its gotta be nice to be out on the water but mainly I want to know when to draw the line and how to be safe, preventing any preventable accidents.

I am more of a do it myselfer and would like to learn how to maintain the boat myself as I wont be able to pay for much. But could probably afford the supplies to do it. What should I know
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
Did the laws on VHF change recently? I thought they were on REQUIRED on boats over something like 15 meters. (regardless of the reg, I wouldn't go out without one, even if it is just an hand held).

Is a portable 1 burner propane stove possible. I'd think it would be as cost effective as trying wood or other types. One bottle would probably last you about a year with only one burner!

Don't the polops that generate barnacles start solidifying after three weeks? Before they start hardining they wipe off pretty easy. After that... While we were cruising we would find a shallow spot, anchor and wipe the bottom with a rag while walking around the boat. A mask is handy for this operation, but didn't take any 0ther equipment per se.

Bilge pumps are such a pain. The auto switches are the weekest point in my opinion. I have replaced all my switches at least once. Haven't found anything particularly robust yet. Manual pumps are only good if you're there to provide the manual.

Get a good anchor and at least 60 feet of chain. You'll need that because you won't be in marinas. Get a solid dinghy, they are the easiest to row. Skip the motor. Jerry cans for ferrying water. Solar light as a makeshift anchor light. Home Depot is probably the best/cheapest source. Hand held GPS is cheaper than a sextant, check ebay. Public domain charts and free readers.

Fishing lures and inexpensive tackle may suppliment the food stores. Libraries and book exchanges for entertainment.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 18:54   #10

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Noway,
Love your attitude.

Here is a link that you might enjoy...
13 - Reflections on the voyage of The Aegre
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote