Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 11:36   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: IS CRUISING DEAD or DYING, STABLE or GROWING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Every time I walk into a local TV store, I am amazed with 4 K footage displayed on the demo machines.

A 4K TV set here is about 3-8k. A boat is say 30-80k. Why pay the 10x extra for being able to enjoy Marquesas while sipping Martinis?

And the sofa is not rolling either.

barnakiel
not sure the wife would approve of me emptying a bag of builders sand on the floor to dig my toes into.....or the hula girls i met at the bar on the way home
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:10   #137

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSB View Post
A very interesting article on change in cruisers numbers. Data is a little old but I think still relevant.

https://cornellsailing.com/2017/08/j...-the-boats-go/

Yup, the closest thing I know of a global census of cruisers. It's interesting that Cornell notes a decline in most areas, and suggests the blame lies in both politics and climate change.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:48   #138
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I need to be rocked asleep....end of story....must sleep...need boat !!!
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 18:14   #139

Boat: William Atkin Cutter
IS CRUISING DEAD or DYING, STABLE or GROWING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Come up to my cruising ground (Newfoundland). There is still plenty of mystery here. Heck, many of the charts are sufficiently off to make it very interesting at times.

Thanks Mike, charts are like that, but my GPS places me on land sometime also. Just very old school here and prefer using charts as primary with GPS as backup. That said, I simply cannot function without a depth sounder.

Just intrigues me how so many old school sailors managed at all. I do believe that age is seeping into our decisions too.

Of course, we still only do primitive camping too, when we go.

Really enjoy all of your post Mike !
Old 02-08-2020, 18:44   #140

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Every time I walk into a local TV store, I am amazed with 4 K footage displayed on the demo machines.

A 4K TV set here is about 3-8k. A boat is say 30-80k. Why pay the 10x extra for being able to enjoy Marquesas while sipping Martinis?

And the sofa is not rolling either.

barnakiel

Don’t go into many TV stores and seldom watch the tube at all, so, cannot relate, to each his own, enjoy!
Old 02-08-2020, 19:44   #141

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou-In-NJ View Post
Well, the question I'm really interested in getting feedback on is: Is there a waning of interest in sailing in particular, and cruising in general?

Despite a few popular young cruising YouTubers, are young people into the responsibility of sailing and boat ownership, enough to turn that interest into owning their own boat, to the point where we have a stable population of people entering the hobby/lifestyle, equal to those retiring from it?

What do you see in the marinas and harbors?
Over the years, have you seen the average age of folks in these places, go up, down, or stay about the same?
Are you seeing as many new boats added to the fleet as years ago, or is seeing a new(er) boat, a rarity?
Are you seeing the same trends over the years, like, are the same number of folks retiring into the cruising/liveaboard lifestyle, young families getting their first boat for weekend excursions, 20 somethings interested in buying their first 20+ foot handyman special, is there a growth in the minimalist/"tiny house" lifestyle that has added to the number of liveaboards?

This may not be a good year to use anecdotal experience to base a trend on, but at the same time, this may be the year more boat owners than usual, decide to sell their boat. I'm really interested in what folks in this forum have seen over their years, not just this year.
-Lou
Why??
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 21:23   #142

Boat: Rafiki 37

Here's a news story that seems to back up the theory that Covid restrictions are leading to a boom in smaller boat and RV sales. At least this seems to be true in Canada.

Old 05-08-2020, 19:19   #143

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31

I'm 32 and started living aboard when I was 26. The first marina I was at did not allow liveaboards but everyone looked the other way for me, because I was young and I think they, as older aging non-active cruisers, enjoyed having the youth and vigor in the marina of a young ambitious sailor. I'm not rich and worked full time. After 2 marinas and eventually finding my way into a private slip my refit is almost down and now corona sets in. My new mainsail from precision sails is allegedly a month out and my passport application is on indefinite hold. I love the liveaboard life style but cannot recommend it to new people in today's world. I am willing to outlaw travel and as a paramedic in the corona virus perhaps a foreign country would allow me to enter without it. Any opinions on that? I definitely feel alone as a young cruiser though. It's certainly not popular as a life direction despite friends enjoying daysails and the such.
TheSarahTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 21:07   #144

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

^^^ No definetly not. You must have your Paper work for you and your boat, radio. And get your MMSI lots of countries may, in the wake of this contagion, will require you to have a transmitting AIS. Already one country has opened its borders to sailors but with caveats (Fiji). You may be right cruising may be frustrated, but you already invested heavily into this, don't give up.
Old 05-08-2020, 22:57   #145

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSarahTonin View Post
I'm 32 and started living aboard when I was 26. The first marina I was at did not allow liveaboards but everyone looked the other way for me, because I was young and I think they, as older aging non-active cruisers, enjoyed having the youth and vigor in the marina of a young ambitious sailor. I'm not rich and worked full time. After 2 marinas and eventually finding my way into a private slip my refit is almost down and now corona sets in. My new mainsail from precision sails is allegedly a month out and my passport application is on indefinite hold. I love the liveaboard life style but cannot recommend it to new people in today's world. I am willing to outlaw travel and as a paramedic in the corona virus perhaps a foreign country would allow me to enter without it. Any opinions on that? I definitely feel alone as a young cruiser though. It's certainly not popular as a life direction despite friends enjoying daysails and the such.

I wish I could say what I want to here but I'm rooting for you!
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 13:08   #146
Marine Service Provider

you want to know if it's a hot marine market ?

I put my fishing boat up for sale.

Within 12 hours of being put on the market it was sold....at full ask.
Old 06-08-2020, 15:30   #147

Boat: Seaward 22

A neighbor sold his 3 jetskis because the market is so hot. Said he sold them for about $1k each less than a new one. Evidently new jet skis are hard to find. He said he will just buy next year after the price falls or new inventory comes in.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 15:38   #148

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
A neighbor sold his 3 jetskis because the market is so hot. Said he sold them for about $1k each less than a new one. Evidently new jet skis are hard to find. He said he will just buy next year after the price falls or new inventory comes in.
TP by the roll did well a while back also.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 15:53   #149
Marine Service Provider

have started shopping for my next boat....he he he....such fun
Old 06-08-2020, 15:55   #150
Marine Service Provider

the brokerage guy sez powerboat sales are hot right now...sailboats not so much....
will report back after the weekend...gonna look around...

Tags
cruising