Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 08:52   #1

Introducing myself

Hello everyone, my name is Lucas Bates and I am 24 years old and a senior at Berea College. I myself have absolutely zero sailing experience - this is anomalous for my family as they are from Long Island (Oyster Bay) and moved to St. Thomas when my father was around 7 years old. He spent his childhood dinghy racing and sailing around the Virgin Islands. But enough talking about my pops.
I have one more semester, I graduate in December. And I have just been accepted into a sailing certification program through Seamester. In mid January i will be in Cape Town, stepping onto the S/Y Argo (112ft. schooner) as one of the 26 crew-in-training. The plan is to sail across the Atlantic and over to Brazil, and then up the coast and into Antigua, totaling a little over 6,300 miles. I am very excited about this first step into the life aquatic and have been trying to get as prepared as possible for the journey ahead. I found this forum and figured it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to say hello and make my presence known to the community.
Sincerely, Lucas Bates
vendeedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Introducing myself

Welcome to CF Lucas!

Sounds like you are on the fast track to adventure!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:12   #3

A goal of mine is to, eventually, own a sailboat that I make extended ocean passages on. Traveling and meeting people has always been a great source of inspiration for me, I love it. I have been to England, France, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, China, and of course Mexico. I have made friends all over the planet and I think it would be the most amazing thing to be able to go wherever I want to go, whenever I want to.

p.s. at the end of the program I will have the International Crew Certificate, and if I am up to the rigor, the Master of Yachts 200tn.
vendeedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 10:07   #4

Boat: Alberg 35

Hi everyone,

We are Jim and Jacquelyn, we are in the process of buying an Alberg 35 to semi-liveaboard in Baltimore (Anchorage Marina).

I'm 62, when I was a kid I used to get in trouble tying down my mom's sheets to make sails. I had a Sunfish (my first Pearson!) when I was 12, had a Catalina 22 in Seattle in the 70's and a Tanzer 22 in Traverse Bay in the 90's. This is my first big boat and I'm about to start learning about diesel engines (Yanmar 35). I'm about to start as a minister of a church in Albany, NY, part time. Because of my wife's job, I fly free, so easy to work a few days and get to Baltimore for a couple days.

Jacquelyn is a flight attendant and new sailor, very excited about learning. She's messed about in some small boats at Mystic Seaport but more or less learning to sail from scratch.

Hope to meet some of you in person as well as on here.
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote