Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2018, 07:25   #46

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1
Re: Intresting situation need advice

A free kitten is not free.

But that having been said. I recently gave away my Gulfstar36 that was ready for circumnavigation. Perfect condition. I first offered it to friends and when they all turned it down without looking,I gave it away to a stranger. Then I began to get feedback from the friends that went something like this,"I didnt know it was such a nice boat."...."Why didnt you tell me?"......."A friend that knew your boat told me I passed up the deal of a lifetime,"..... An it went on. Why did Ido it? Because I just didnt want it anymore. I wanted a motor sailor which I bought, a Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler.

OTOH, After hurricane Harvey I was offered a free 5 ton, NEW, central AC that was new in the crate and had been scheduled to be installed in a building that no longer existed. It was a perfectly new, good AC that had been stored away from the hurricane area by the supplier, but it had already been paid for so it was free. Then I found that to get the 3 phase power I needed would take two poles and a transformer...$6K....A new firewall in my building...$5K....and a new electric panel for the 3 phase power....$5K.... So the FREE AC would cost me $16,000.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:35   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
I wanted a motor sailor which I bought, a Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler.
Other Mainship owners will be surprised to discover they actually own a motor sailor
Old 13-07-2018, 07:53   #48
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

I agree, run sir.

You (generally) get what you pay for.
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:53   #49

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

NOPE DONT do it ! 8K for nothing is not a cheep mistake. !Look around Im in the area there are plenty of good boats close. Dont get the "GIMMEYS " relax take a deep breath and STOP
Im in Tarpon Get in touch I know boats been where you are. This can be done. NO RUSH

lee 727 741 8510
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 08:15   #50

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecat22 View Post
One important thing to consider, at least in Florida, is that any liens on the boat are transferred with the title. You need to have a title search done before you agree to take over ownership.
The above is good advice.

FRAUD - Not saying it is, but be careful.
Have you talked to the diver? When was the broken strut discovered?
Sound suspicious to me - asking 8 grand for a boat, found a buyer, then decided to give it away..... Why not sell for a big discount instead?
Put a pinch of salt on everything to avoid stress and high blood pressure
But OTOH if everything checks out, I'd go for it.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 09:01   #51

Better yet see if he will pay you to take it.
refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 10:12   #52

Boat: O'Day 28

Every boatyard is full of broken dreams. I can't imagine not knowing the strut was broken.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 10:46   #53

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Other Mainship owners will be surprised to discover they actually own a motor sailor
That was a brain fart.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:41   #54

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by refuge View Post
Better yet see if he will pay you to take it.
Typical of some of the cheap-skate boat owners who post here. Not content with driving the price down; or eventually getting it for free, they now want the PO to pay them to take it off his hands. How much lower can you go guys?

This kind of response typifies the mental outlook of some of the kind of people I would rather avoid. Some of you are so irresponsible, I believe I shall stop visiting this forum. I equate many respondents with the type of boat owners (who were) evicted from False Creek in Vancouver … because, they were just that … Cheap-skates willing to survive off other peoples goodwill etc. They are what might be considered the 'water-borne' equivalent of 'street-people' … Never paying their fair share; always looking for something for nothing;
Could it be you are part of the reason for why the average family sailboat has lost all market value???
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:50   #55

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Typical of some of the cheap-skate boat owners who post here. Not content with driving the price down; or eventually getting it for free, they now want the PO to pay them to take it off his hands. How much lower can you go guys?

This kind of response typifies the mental outlook of some of the kind of people I would rather avoid. Some of you are so irresponsible, I believe I shall stop visiting this forum. I equate many respondents with the type of boat owners (who were) evicted from False Creek in Vancouver … because, they were just that … Cheap-skates willing to survive off other peoples goodwill etc. They are what might be considered the 'water-borne' equivalent of 'street-people' … Never paying their fair share; always looking for something for nothing;
Could it be you are part of the reason for why the average family sailboat has lost all market value???
I, on the other hand, have chosen to support the marine industry with my money and tips. SMILE
Old 16-07-2018, 08:05   #56

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

I'm not sure I see the parallel between people leaching at the marina and the possibility of someone being paid to haul off a boat that has no real market value. Disposing of a hulk can be an expensive proposition. Pay someone far less than the disposal cost and let it be their problem.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:18   #57

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
I, on the other hand, have chosen to support the marine industry with my money and tips. SMILE
Then you are NOT one of the people I refer to.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:20   #58
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:

Never paying their fair share; always looking for something for nothing;
There is no objective way to assess "value"

Except what a buyer and seller agree on **that** boat, in that place at that time.

It's all down to supply and demand; going sailing as a family activity used to be a **lot** more popular than it is today. Therefore there are a **lot** more boats out there for sale, therefore they are worth a **lot** less than they would be if people sailed more.

And if legally disposing of a given boat costs say $4,000, and that boat would only fetch $5,000 after the buyer has to spend $30,000 to get her seaworthy

how can anybody say the boat has anything but a negative value?

The person tricked into accepting it for zero cost is the one getting ripped off.

Now, a relatively poor man who thinks he has the time and skills to fix her up and go sailing comes along. He offers to help the owner out, stopping the endless expenses, saving him the $4,000 he'd have to otherwise spend scrapping it.

Even if the owner pays him $2000 to take it away, he is the one doing the owner a favor.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:41   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

When a boat has negative value it makes some sense to get paid to haul it away.
Old 16-07-2018, 09:01   #60

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I think I would go for it, actually, if I wanted a boat and didn't have one. Get a heavy duty compensated outboard bracket and hit Cabelas for a 6hp tohatsu and your boat is once again powered. The strut is not a deal killer. Keep in mind that with a bad strut, possibly you might have some shaft damage. Still not a deal killer. Figure $2k max for strut replacement and possible shaft straightening or replacement. Yeah you could still get screwed by some other thing but you could also end up in a ready to sail or motor boat for $4k, and a rather decent boat at that. Feel lucky? Good at working on stuff? Go for it. Got cold feet? That's okay. Another good deal will come along if you are patient and you have the ready cash for purchase set aside. That's the nature of buying boats. There will always be another one.

But me, I would throw the dice and take it. It sounds like a thing.