Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2023, 08:38   #31

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Internet Connection for working remote while living aboard/sailing?

Currently moored on the south coast of Grenada and a very happy Starlink RV user. On an average day I do 7-8 video conf calls and so far, so very good. My other half is an accountant and she’s also very impressed with it. For $100 a month, you can’t go wrong really😁

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:40   #32

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
I disabled mine. You just have to cut open the bottom of the dish in the back and pull the motor cable. I used a mount from star mount systems to force it to face straight up and never ever have a lost connection.
If you don't mind, I curious what you're using to hold your mount up?
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:07   #33

Boat: Chris White, Atlantic 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRedcoat View Post
I see this so many times (people stating you have to turn the motors off) and it’s just not true. You don’t need to turn them off. Starlink did an update 6 months that cut back on its motor usage.
For the record - I could care less about the power consumption. We have enough solar and wind to manage its minimal draw. Our only purpose for disabling the motor was connectivity. When the boat swings at anchor or underway the flat orientation holds a better more consistent connection. Tested and proven on our boat. It just works better when it's flat.
Atlantic48Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:11   #34

Boat: Chris White, Atlantic 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
If you don't mind, I curious what you're using to hold your mount up?
We just dropped ours into a fishing rod holder attached to our pushpit. The cable drops out the bottom of the rod holder and runs into a cowl vent to our engine room and leads to an AC receptacle. Very easy to mount and dismount.
Atlantic48Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:29   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Few cruisers, even circumnavigators, spend more than a percent or two of their time far offshore.

The classical solution for this is mobile telephone data. Not as good in the U.S. where mobile phone data is expensive, but in Europe this is much cheaper than Starlink and, obviously, a lot simpler to set up.

I have truly unlimited 5G data which is good in the entire Baltic and Nordic region, for €27 per month. It works usually to some miles offshore.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 14:13   #36

A conundrum to say the least... I had to ask myself if I did venture off shore what would I do...for centuries we managed with out the convenience of computers... other side of the coin astronauts need em....
my cell phone can do more than I can... I know how to send a reply on my phone (thats about my limit). I knew a gentleman who sailed oceans with a sextant and a pocket watch.... Is it easier... I wonder... more peaceful... assuredly... I wish all who do cut the lines good winds clear skies no matter which route they take
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 15:03   #37

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation

SV Delos internet solution anywhere anytime just like the big yachts.
https://svdelos.com/sailing-videos/h...-delos-ep-260/
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 15:31   #38

Don’t get bogged down with issues like the motors. Starlink as delivered will easily do what you listed. Small issues like the motors are not significant. You can always change later.Like many I considered disabling my motors but didn’t. With the updated software I don’t feel any reason to disable them.

Your problem is that operation 1) in motion, 2) offshore and 3) out of the country for more than 60 days is not permitted under the RV terms of service. All three work today. No one can tell you when or if Starlink will change this.

A year from now I expect we’ll all know but for now you are taking a risk as an early adopter.

If Starlink does change things in a way you don’t like you can always cancel the service and sell the dish on EBay and find something else. It’s a risk we are all taking.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 21:14   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
@mvweebles - you cannot. The unit is sealed and you need to drill a hole into the back in order to reach the motor connectors. There are several YouTube instructional videos.

The motors only need a couple of seconds to reposition the antenna. The power consumption is less important to me than the temporary interruption of services as the antenna goes horizontal and then to the correct angle.
There's a STOW function accessible from phone app to turn off the Starlink when desired.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 02:40   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 57

@billdomb - the "STOW" function makes the antenna slot down to the base for transport. I don't know how that is relevant to the antenna finding the correct angle.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:05   #41

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
SV Delos internet solution anywhere anytime just like the big yachts.
https://svdelos.com/sailing-videos/h...-delos-ep-260/
I believe you missed the "affordable" part of the question. Only reason they have that setup is they get it for free. I was quoted more than 1200USD/month for that setup + significant purchase costs.
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Few cruisers, even circumnavigators, spend more than a percent or two of their time far offshore.

The classical solution for this is mobile telephone data. Not as good in the U.S. where mobile phone data is expensive, but in Europe this is much cheaper than Starlink and, obviously, a lot simpler to set up.

I have truly unlimited 5G data which is good in the entire Baltic and Nordic region, for €27 per month. It works usually to some miles offshore.
Hi Dockhead,

This sounds a great option. I also looked into it but in Europe if you have a mobile data subscription, the service provider only allows you using it for 4 months outside the country, where it was subscribed. After that the service provider reminds you to stop using it abroad and then stops your access. Which service provider are you using? (I spent days on searching for a solution without any luck.)
Krisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:08   #43

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
Hi Dockhead,

This sounds a great option. I also looked into it but in Europe if you have a mobile data subscription, the service provider only allows you using it for 4 months outside the country, where it was subscribed. After that the service provider reminds you to stop using it abroad and then stops your access. Which service provider are you using? (I spent days on searching for a solution without any luck.)
You can have more than one PAYGO SIM but make sure they are first used in the country where you buy them. Or you can get a local SIM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:08   #44

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Don’t get bogged down with issues like the motors. Starlink as delivered will easily do what you listed. Small issues like the motors are not significant. You can always change later.Like many I considered disabling my motors but didn’t. With the updated software I don’t feel any reason to disable them.

Your problem is that operation 1) in motion, 2) offshore and 3) out of the country for more than 60 days is not permitted under the RV terms of service. All three work today. No one can tell you when or if Starlink will change this.

A year from now I expect we’ll all know but for now you are taking a risk as an early adopter.

If Starlink does change things in a way you don’t like you can always cancel the service and sell the dish on EBay and find something else. It’s a risk we are all taking.

please correct me if i'm wrong..

..but wouldnt starlink simply require you to update your address if you are outside your original shipping country for 2 billing cycles..?
(for same continent..just put the address of your local marina/grocery store/watering hole)

https://www.starlink.com/legal/docum...-1020-91087-64

is starlink even enforcing/limiting use outside the original continent...yet?
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:06   #45

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
please correct me if i'm wrong..

..but wouldnt starlink simply require you to update your address if you are outside your original shipping country for 2 billing cycles..?
(for same continent..just put the address of your local marina/grocery store/watering hole)

https://www.starlink.com/legal/docum...-1020-91087-64

is starlink even enforcing/limiting use outside the original continent...yet?
Anecdotal reports I have read indicate that you are correct - you can change your address on the web page, you can use any address in whatever country you are in at the time, according to several reports I have read (have not tried this myself yet, still in the USA/Mexico). I have read numerous reports (esp. on Facebook group starlink on boats) from people who have used their SL on other continents, for more than 2 months, and have had no negative consequences, without changing their address.

As others have said, this may change at any time, but so far, they do not seem to be enforcing their terms of service in this regard.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, living aboard, remote, sail, sailing, work