Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2023, 16:55   #16

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
Re: Internet Connection for working remote while living aboard/sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I recently setup Starlink and didn't find anything in the settings to disable the motors. I have seen folks disable them, but my sense is the newer square Dishy uses half the power (or less) of original antenna so I suspect need to disable is reducing.

Dishy appears to be a pretty tight enclosure. Idea of hacking it with a penetration was not appealing. I too don't mind breaking a warranty, but "the juice has to be worth the squeeze." Didn't meet that threshold for me .
I disabled mine. You just have to cut open the bottom of the dish in the back and pull the motor cable. I used a mount from star mount systems to force it to face straight up and never ever have a lost connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28ADEC27-6EEA-497D-B6D6-16BC7287D9B1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	269420  
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 17:03   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The life of the mechanism is finite. Limiting the number of cycles is to your benefit.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 18:31   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
...The only options for internet while "out at sea" is the Starlink Maritime version which costs $5,000 per month, so not an option.

The only other option is Iridium GO which could not be considered real "internet access" at all, but works globally and costs about $150/month...
You leave out a whole host of options that can be considered. Starlink and GO! are FAR from the ONLY options.

As others have mentioned it depends a bit on where you are cruising (regionally) and how far from shore (within a few miles?, within? 150 miles, ocean crossing?) and what you really need to do.

There is a whole gamut of options from Go, to Go Exec(coming soon), to Fleet One, to Iridium Certus, to KVH, to Viasat, VSAT, and Starlink Maritime. Cost is variable for both hardware and airtime.

If, for example, you came to me and told me that you were in the Americas (North, Central, South, and Carib), coastal cruising, needed in motion service, emergency voice calling, and really just needed email and weather and to send/receive some files via FTP, Dropbox, or Email, I would suggest taking a look at Fleet One. But again, many factors to consider before a true recommendation., which incidentally is what I do generally.
Old 01-01-2023, 19:20   #19

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
You leave out a whole host of options that can be considered. Starlink and GO! are FAR from the ONLY options.

As others have mentioned it depends a bit on where you are cruising (regionally) and how far from shore (within a few miles?, within? 150 miles, ocean crossing?) and what you really need to do.

There is a whole gamut of options from Go, to Go Exec(coming soon), to Fleet One, to Iridium Certus, to KVH, to Viasat, VSAT, and Starlink Maritime. Cost is variable for both hardware and airtime.

If, for example, you came to me and told me that you were in the Americas (North, Central, South, and Carib), coastal cruising, needed in motion service, emergency voice calling, and really just needed email and weather and to send/receive some files via FTP, Dropbox, or Email, I would suggest taking a look at Fleet One. But again, many factors to consider before a true recommendation., which incidentally is what I do generally.
Yes, I left them out. I am still trying to understand why you want to put them back in.

> really just needed email and weather and to send/receive some files via >FTP, Dropbox, or Email, I would suggest taking a look at Fleet One.

I would love to see the numbers on that and how it competes with StarLink. Also, no one wants JUST email and weather and to send/receive some files IF they can also have true broadband for the same cost. How can the cost of Fleet One be lower than the cost of StarLink?
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 19:46   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
Yes, I left them out. I am still trying to understand why you want to put them back in.

> really just needed email and weather and to send/receive some files via >FTP, Dropbox, or Email, I would suggest taking a look at Fleet One.

I would love to see the numbers on that and how it competes with StarLink. Also, no one wants JUST email and weather and to send/receive some files IF they can also have true broadband for the same cost. How can the cost of Fleet One be lower than the cost of StarLink?
I didn't say it was cheaper. I am just saying there are more options than a Go, and Fleet One provides more coverage than Starlink RV as well as inmotion support, at a lower cost than Maritime. So depends on what they need of course. The OP did say they needed email, weather, and file transfer.. So if a customer needed something that worked inmotion and outside of RV coverage, it's not just a matter of price. Fleet One is much more capable vs Iridium Go at only slightly higher airtime cost.

But as I said earlier, without more info on the users needs its hard to make a real recommendation.
Old 01-01-2023, 20:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
I didn't say it was cheaper. I am just saying there are more options than a Go, and Fleet One provides more coverage than Starlink RV as well as inmotion support, at a lower cost than Maritime. So depends on what they need of course. The OP did say they needed email, weather, and file transfer.. So if a customer needed something that worked inmotion and outside of RV coverage, it's not just a matter of price. Fleet One is much more capable vs Iridium Go at only slightly higher airtime cost.

But as I said earlier, without more info on the users needs its hard to make a real recommendation.
I see FleetOne's "Coastal" plan to 200nm of home country (vs "Global") is $150/mo for 25mb data. $5.80/mb thereafter. 25mb isn't much - for work, I've blown through 500mb before lunchtime without video calls. Even today with just casual use, I've probably done 25mb per hour.

How is the FleetOne value proposition holding up in the marketplace now that Starlink is on the hockey-stick part of the acceptance curve? Especially since Starlinks stated policy doesn't throttle mobile use of RV until 10mph? I would think its in category of perrenial brides maid, no?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230101_195824_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	269421
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:44   #22

Thank you Zanshin. We are looking to sail from Maine to the Bahamas and I would need to be able to connect remotely/daily for work. Does the Starlink RV allow for this or do you need to be in close proximity to land? Once in the Bahamas we would most likely anchor off shore.
Sailing-FC2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:36   #23

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Here’s an add-on question. Looking at starlink RV, there are two types of dishy things available.

First, there is a regular one. That’s the one that I think everyone has here. It’s like $600. It sits on a pole.

Now they have another one for $2500 that is bigger and connects to more satellites and provides a more reliable connection. Does anybody have this one?

Do we know the difference in performance?

Also, how about the power drain? These things seem to draw as much power as my deep freezer.

When people cut off the servos, does the power drain improve a lot? Or no?

These things draw over 100 watts.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Here’s an add-on question. Looking at starlink RV, there are two types of dishy things available.

First, there is a regular one. That’s the one that I think everyone has here. It’s like $600. It sits on a pole.

Now they have another one for $2500 that is bigger and connects to more satellites and provides a more reliable connection. Does anybody have this one?

Do we know the difference in performance?

Also, how about the power drain? These things seem to draw as much power as my deep freezer.

When people cut off the servos, does the power drain improve a lot? Or no?

These things draw over 100 watts.
Good write-up by Seabits HERE.

The newest "in-motion" $2500 panel is indeed more power-hungry. He saw an average of 85w vs 35w for the rectangular RV/Residential antenna. He also cut the servo motors. From other sources, the hi-watt readings for some are related to the 1st gen antennae, and from heating-elements for cold weather.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:11   #25

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Good write-up by Seabits HERE.

The newest "in-motion" $2500 panel is indeed more power-hungry. He saw an average of 85w vs 35w for the rectangular RV/Residential antenna. He also cut the servo motors. From other sources, the hi-watt readings for some are related to the 1st gen antennae, and from heating-elements for cold weather.
That was a very good read. Thanks for the link.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:29   #26

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing-FC2023 View Post
What do you all recommend for the best reliable and AFORDABLE internet service for working remote while sailing? We won't be in marinas much longer than a day or so and I need something that will provide coverage while out to sea or anchored off remote islands? Still have to work for a few more years but would like to also start living the dream thanks!

as mentioned by others.. it kinda depends how we define "affordable" (and reliable)

for me..
i'd be looking at $3000-$9000+ usd to get in the game with a rock solid rig (ranges depends what type of RV dish(s) desired)
..and then $300-$400/month depending on local cellular.

right now my best practice..(and this could be power hungry..so we'e assuming you have the prereq battery/solar/power input) :

dual starlink RV dishes ($1200-$5000 pair)
ethernet adapters ($50 per pair)
Peplink balance two or MAX BR2 Pro (~$1000-$3000)
/i currently use a balance two...100% rock solid but not really made for mobile/marine use... if i were purchasing again, i'd slurge on the MAX BR2 pro
peplink max adapeter (multi Cell modem..$600usd) with antennas (+$400)

dual starlink gives you reliability.. the peplinks provide gigabit routing and bandwith bonding (MAX BR2 is also gives an energy efficient wifi 6 AP)
-can connect additional WAN via usb or multi sims via max adapter.

-multiple local sims give you as much fallover/redundancy as you desire
ie for when you're at anchor and the cruise ship/super yacht/jet is in the vicinity and your RV plan get "de-prioritized"....and you absolutely need to be "connected".

chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:03   #27

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
as mentioned by others.. it kinda depends how we define "affordable" (and reliable)

for me..
i'd be looking at $3000-$9000+ usd to get in the game with a rock solid rig (ranges depends what type of RV dish(s) desired)
..and then $300-$400/month depending on local cellular.

right now my best practice..(and this could be power hungry..so we'e assuming you have the prereq battery/solar/power input) :

dual starlink RV dishes ($1200-$5000 pair)
ethernet adapters ($50 per pair)
Peplink balance two or MAX BR2 Pro (~$1000-$3000)
/i currently use a balance two...100% rock solid but not really made for mobile/marine use... if i were purchasing again, i'd slurge on the MAX BR2 pro
peplink max adapeter (multi Cell modem..$600usd) with antennas (+$400)

dual starlink gives you reliability.. the peplinks provide gigabit routing and bandwith bonding (MAX BR2 is also gives an energy efficient wifi 6 AP)
-can connect additional WAN via usb or multi sims via max adapter.

-multiple local sims give you as much fallover/redundancy as you desire
ie for when you're at anchor and the cruise ship/super yacht/jet is in the vicinity and your RV plan get "de-prioritized"....and you absolutely need to be "connected".

Wow. Are you an Air Traffic Controller working from your boat? Luckily, I would suspect, most remote workers do not require 99.99% uptime which you seem to need.

If myStarlink wigs out during a zoom, no problem. I'll be back on in 3 or 4 minutes. And if not, no harm no foul. I think for most people, our employers are understanding enough about these things because even house and apartment dwellers occasionally have drop outs in service. But it is interesting to hear about what is at the other end of the spectrum! Very impressive setup.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:36   #28

Boat: Chris White, Atlantic 48

We use Starlink with great success. We've used it all around the Spanish, US and British Virgins since November.

I saw someone post that Starlink did not work offshore. This is NOT correct. We sailed from Newport RI to Bermuda and then from Bermuda down to PR and it worked flawlessly the entire trip. I did multiple video calls while underway on this trip.

We have Iridium Go as our backup for email and weather but found Starlink to be a very solid solution at a great price.

BTW...I did disable to motor. The dish sits in a fishing rod holder on the pushpit. It has a perfect view of the sky and it holds a connection very well. I heard from a friend that they were able to contact Starlink and ask them to "lock" it flat. A couple days later their dish went flat and stayed that way.
Sure it drops on a Zoom call every once and while but that happens to everyone no matter how you're connected so it makes no difference.
Atlantic48Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:11   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

I see this so many times (people stating you have to turn the motors off) and it’s just not true. You don’t need to turn them off. Starlink did an update 6 months that cut back on its motor usage.

You got a few options starlink or cellphone with a cellphone boaster,

We have had starlink for 3 months now and in my opinion it is the way to go. You don’t need the marine version the rv version will do.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:27   #30

Boat: Fleming 58

Over the years I've tried numerous solutions. All have changed for the better as technology has changed.

My current set-up uses T-Mobile SIM Card. Service is 300Gb/month unthrottled. Good enough to achieve excellent streaming.

Cost is $70/month with no extra charges.

It works fine when in cell range....which varies based on actual location.

Hardware is a PEPLINK rounter MAX-BR1-8597. This can be configured to accept local ground based wifi and retransmit your vessels wifi signal. Both wifi and the SIM service can coexist. Use what's best
Carlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, living aboard, remote, sail, sailing, work