Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 01:11   #1

International Banking Info Please

We are 20 year + liveaboards and have been out of the USA for 17+ yrs. In all that time we have belonged to a small credit union which gave us personal service. Now they have merged with a larger CU and the service went away. One problem is our not having a US phone # for any transaction verification. As I see it we have two options; get a US phone # that will receive SMS messages internationally, or move banks. I'm looking for info/advice or personal success in one or both of these areas. We will not be going back to the US.

Rob
SY Joyeux
Marmaris, Turkey
Old 19-12-2020, 01:47   #2

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: International Banking Info Please

Get a Google Voice number. You won't even need a phone. Any voice mail can be accessed via internet and you can make calls via a computer or tablet and the internet. If you do have an international mobile, you can point your calls to transfer to that number and answer your bank or whomever right on your mobile phone should you want.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 03:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
Get a Google Voice number.
"You must have an existing US-based mobile or landline phone number to qualify."
https://voice.google.com/u/0/signup

I would get cheapest prepaid US mobile.
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 03:30   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

What type of service do you want from your bank. I think I d talked to mine once in the last 12 months
Old 19-12-2020, 03:31   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Personally I’d open a Revolut account
Old 19-12-2020, 03:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What's a Revolut account...?
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 04:06   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

This was discussed recently -- a lot of cruisers have this problem.

I don't know any good solution -- my bank (Bank of America) knows and does not accept "virtual" mobile numbers which accept text messages. I do have a code generator card which works with most transfer instructions -- see if you bank can give you one of those.

Prepaid mobile plans are not that cheap and a PITA to keep up. For years I had a very cheap (I think $3 month) TMobile plan that worked, but if you forget to top up in time it burns the number, and that plan is no longer available. A $10 plan is $120 a year; $20 is $240. This is a lot of money just to be able to receive a few text messages a year.

One of our guys on here, Jedi, suggested a mobile phone subscription which works on wifi. You might do a search in the archives for that.

Or just forget the U.S. bank account and go Revolut or Transferwise.

I have European bank accounts, but I have been really loving Transferwise, which is brilliant. A particular advantage of Transferwise is that you get frictionless conversion of currencies, which will save you a ton of money over converting currencies through banks. You can get a debit card with it, too, and there is no authentication via text messages. You authenticate biometrically using your smartphone.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 06:16   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I have a skype account linked to a real phone number (that has a area code matching my mailing address). I've never had a problem with banks, brokerage houses, etc using it.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 06:19   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
I have a skype account linked to a real phone number (that has a area code matching my mailing address). I've never had a problem with banks, brokerage houses, etc using it.

I have a Skype number too. It works fine for voice, but not for text. The problem is text message two-factor authentication.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 06:46   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

If all you need is a US-based phone number that can receive texts, take a look at MagicJack. They offer US (and Canadian) phone numbers. You can access their full services through their app, so you don't even need their dongle. Pretty modest cost.
Old 19-12-2020, 08:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I second that. I’ve been a Revolut customer for three years and I’m very satisfied with the service.
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:56   #12

Boat: Hanse 430e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
Get a Google Voice number. You won't even need a phone. Any voice mail can be accessed via internet and you can make calls via a computer or tablet and the internet. If you do have an international mobile, you can point your calls to transfer to that number and answer your bank or whomever right on your mobile phone should you want.
This. Do it, you will be happy. With a data connection anywhere in the world you will receive phone calls and texts. My bank texts me to verify wire transfers and this is how i can receive and respond.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:59   #13

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Same here, "Skype number" worked even in Japan, surprised even Japanese, obtained a Japanese driving license within 24h, address was hotel, tel. was skype-out

N26, a free German internet bank, active in US & neighboring countries as well as in 22 countries in Europe, registration over internet is easy. I use them but I am European. N26 work with transferwise for money transfer. Read
www.howitravel.co/n26-turkey/
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 09:04   #14

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I don't know about revolut or transferwise, it would be nice if people using those services could chime in on them.

I remember a Gone with the Wynn's episode where they had an issue with their bank that could only be resolved with an in-person meeting. Once resolved, there was no further need to be in-person. Got me thinking. My plan is to have a very trusted friend be a signatory on my accounts. If there's an issue, he will deal with it for me.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 09:09   #15

Boat: Azimut 74 Solar

Finance Industry professional here that also is a US citizen, living aboard, internationally. ID verification is going to be a hurdle if you are switching banks, domestically and even more so if you want to open a foreign account depending totally on your public records footprint.

The advice regarding Revolut (which I also have) and similar services are good, however make sure if you go with a service like these, you are fully understanding of the fee structures.

There are several MSBs that are held to far greater FINCEN, FINRA, standards regarding licensure and safety than even your FDIC brick and mortar bank. These companies specialize in moving money internationally whether it be cash or electronically with less transactional fees as well as lower exchange rate spreads.

Transferwise is one of those mentioned here. Although a decent service, there are many more that are faster, cheaper and far more INDIVIDUAL customer service oriented which is what one of you pain points are.
JEMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease