Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2022, 19:58   #1

Boat: Don't have one
Insurance for nomadic liveaboards

Hi everyone, I have a newbie question concerning insurance.

I will be taking ownership and moving onto a boat next week in the Isle of Man. My plan is to coast hop around to the south coast of UK, cross the channel and head south through the French canals and enter the Med. From there, who knows?

I'm attempting to insure the boat but am consistantly rejected as I don't have a permanant place to moor her. Each company I've contacted so far requires me to name a particular port or marina which is the boats home. I don't plan to have this as I'm buying a boat to enjoy a nomadic lifestyle.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this so there must be some insurance companies who understand and cater a product for such travellers.

How do you all get around this problem and can you suggest any insurance companies I can try?

Many thanks
andy53981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 04:58   #2

Boat: Looking to buy
Re: Insurance for nomadic liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy53981 View Post
Hi everyone, I have a newbie question concerning insurance.

I will be taking ownership and moving onto a boat next week in the Isle of Man. My plan is to coast hop around to the south coast of UK, cross the channel and head south through the French canals and enter the Med. From there, who knows?

I'm attempting to insure the boat but am consistantly rejected as I don't have a permanant place to moor her. Each company I've contacted so far requires me to name a particular port or marina which is the boats home. I don't plan to have this as I'm buying a boat to enjoy a nomadic lifestyle.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this so there must be some insurance companies who understand and cater a product for such travellers.

How do you all get around this problem and can you suggest any insurance companies I can try?

Many thanks

Well I'm no expert, but isn't the boat already moored somewhere now?
If so, just extend the period until you have confirmation from the insurance company and then move on to your sailing, once in the med, advise your company that you have changed the mooring address to this new location, if this is ever the case of course.
If I'm in error, I'm sure someone will most certainly correct me.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, liveaboard