Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2020, 11:44   #1

Boat: Cal 2-29
insurance companies on board the boat

Guys please tell me which of the insurance companies work with owners living on board?

Stanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 13:05   #2
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch
Re: insurance companies on board the boat

Hi. We go through Geico as liveaboards. Used to be a different company, but Geico purchased them. I don't know if they grandfathered us in or if they accept new liveaboards. Good luck.

KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 13:14   #3

Thank you very much.
Old 23-02-2020, 07:21   #4

Hi, I found out that Boat US insures with accommodation on board but it requires a call from an inspector who will inspect the boat by issuing a document that must be submitted to the insurance company. Please tell me, you probably went through this procedure, what does the inspector pay attention to?
Old 23-02-2020, 08:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanis View Post
Hi, I found out that Boat US insures with accommodation on board but it requires a call from an inspector who will inspect the boat by issuing a document that must be submitted to the insurance company. Please tell me, you probably went through this procedure, what does the inspector pay attention to?
Are you talking about what would normally be called a "survey"?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 08:15   #6

Boat US said that I should call a boat inspection, they will inspect it and issue a document that I will send them. Yes, this is called so.
Old 23-02-2020, 08:27   #7

An insurance surveyor will inspect all parts of the vessel to be sure that it meets basic safety and seaworthiness standards and regulations. Rigging, engine, electrical, plumbing, the integrity of the hull, safety equipment, pretty much everything. You will be insuring a sailboat, not a floating house. The boat must be seaworthy and suitable for its intended purpose, I.e., it must be able to be safely sailed.

The surveyor is the "eyes" of the insurance company. He is looking for anything that would increase their risk of a claim from you above what they normally expect from a well found boat.

There are three possible outcomes from a survey:

1.) "The boat is a good insurance risk, as is." This is kind of rare, surveyors almost always find SOMETHING, even if it is very minor.

2.) "The boat is a good insurance risk if the following items are corrected." The list can be long, and expensive, or short and easy. Depending on the state of the boat. Typically an insurance company would give you 60 days to correct any findings. If you SAY you fixed them, but do not, your insurance will not be valid and ANY claim can be denied.

3.) "The boat does not meet underwriting standards." You will not get insurance and are stuck with the cost of the survey.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 08:56   #8

Thanks, thanks. But now I am insured in the Progressive company I had no problems with it and they did not require inspection of the boat but they do not allow permanent residence on board.
Old 24-02-2020, 14:33   #9

Please, the last question, is it necessary for a successful inspection to be carried out on the boat such devices as an echo sounder, speed sensor, engine oil temperature sensor and chart plotter?

Tags
boat, insurance