Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 12:22   #31

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: In the spirit of "Go small, go now".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Thanks for sharing that.
(btw, 27 ft isn't 'small' )

That's what I keep saying ! My CD28 is a good size. If I went up just one size to the CD30 I know I'd have to spend more on things because I would have the room for them. The 28 keeps me in budget.

Now if I had Forrest Gump's money, well I probably would do things a little differently.
OldManMirage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:38   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

My advice is always: Go with the smallest boat that will do what you want it to do, as opposed to the more standard approach of getting the largest boat you can afford.

Small is beautiful, but I do think it’s possible to be too small. My boat is 37 feet long (actually 36’ 9” — same as Spray ). It provides comfortable, but not luxurious, living space for two. But more importantly, is designed with long-term independance in mind. It’s large tankage and storage means I can cruise off the beaten path, and away from expensive urban areas, for long periods of time. Our solar and wind generates almost all our electricity needs. And our ground tackle and anchoring system allows us to swing from our own hook 90% of the time.

If I ever became a solo sailor (no sign of that … so far ) I would look at something in the 26 to 30 foot range. But in my view, frugal living means having a boat that is livable, self-sustainable, and that can avoid going to a dock for long periods of time.
Old 10-02-2018, 13:52   #33

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My advice is always: Go with the smallest boat that will do what you want it to do, as opposed to the more standard approach of getting the largest boat you can afford.

Small is beautiful, but I do think it’s possible to be too small. My boat is 37 feet long (actually 36’ 9” — same as Spray ). It provides comfortable, but not luxurious, living space for two. But more importantly, is designed with long-term independance in mind. It’s large tankage and storage means I can cruise off the beaten path, and away from expensive urban areas, for long periods of time. Our solar and wind generates almost all our electricity needs. And our ground tackle and anchoring system allows us to swing from our own hook 90% of the time.

If I ever became a solo sailor (no sign of that … so far ) I would look at something in the 26 to 30 foot range. But in my view, frugal living means having a boat that is livable, self-sustainable, and that can avoid going to a dock for long periods of time.
Mike, I hope I run into you some day. I think I would get along with you !
OldManMirage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 14:18   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Small is beautiful, but I do think it’s possible to be too small.

Yeah, I was out at my boat today working on a few things and excluding the V Berth, hanging locker area, and head area, there's about a 7' X 8' living space.

Something to think about if your dream is to live on a small boat for any length of time........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 14:56   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hey, Techo, glad to have your followup posts. I read your posts from... was it Egypt? and wondered how it would go when you finally repatriated. You seemed well grounded and thoughtful in my view, and I'm pleased that things have gone well so far. Keep on having as much fun as you can stand and drop a post now and then... as you have been doing.

Good onya, mate!

Jim
Old 10-02-2018, 20:55   #36

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Great Vid , Thanks for posting. Your doing exactly what I hope to do in the very near future. I too just bought "84" H27 that needed lots of TLC, but all the main systems were good. If things work out as planned this summer we'll be leaving NH next fall, down the coast up to Pensacola FL and back to NH some time next spring.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:39   #37

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Thanks for the notes and the video. I have followed your past posts and it was great to see what you ended up deciding to do. We headed down the ICW in November and it was fun to plot our path next to yours.

I love the idea of a smaller boat and we've discussing downsizing from our 43-footer. Its a compromise with me still working and being on the dock in the Chesapeake during the summer. A/C drove some of our buying decisions. We are planning on heading to the Bahamas/PR/USVI spring 2019 and won't use our A/C on the hook. The reality is that we'll stick with what we have for now. I'm doing our second refit now for sails, updated reliable electronics, solar, batteries, more chain, updated safety gear.

Still, those Baba 30s look pretty fine.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 17:28   #38

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

I had to hit the pause button a few times but your message is clear. Glad to see things going as planned and look forward to more posts.
Old 13-02-2018, 14:28   #39

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey, Techo, glad to have your followup posts. I read your posts from... was it Egypt? and wondered how it would go when you finally repatriated. You seemed well grounded and thoughtful in my view, and I'm pleased that things have gone well so far. Keep on having as much fun as you can stand and drop a post now and then... as you have been doing.

Good onya, mate!

Jim
Thanks for the kind words Jim. MUCH appreciated coming from an old salt such as yourself And yes, my posts started in June or July of 2016 while I was still in Egypt. Repatriated in April of 2017 and have been living aboard ever since. Sometimes I still find it hard to believe that I have been back in the States, and living aboard, for a bit shy of a year already.

Oddly enough, I have experienced little or none of the "culture shock" that I was expecting upon my return to the States after living in Egypt for 20 years. Much of that has to do with, as you correctly stated in one of your earlier posts on the other thread, being part of the boating community. The welcoming nature of boaters and cruisers in general has been a wonderful part of coming back to my home country.

I'll give some examples here of some of the amazing things that I found/re-discovered upon my return that most take for granted:

-That credit/debit card "swipey gizmo" at store checkouts and restaurants (with the cash back option as well!) I had never seen one! Had to be shown how to use them.

-Grocery Stores, Home Depot, WalMart, etc...Fully stocked and with warranties that they honor!

-Being able to order from Amazon.com (or any other online company) and delivery is pretty much always on time (with no customs or duty fees).

-And finally...I have found that I am living better, eating healthier, and getting more for my money here in the States than it was costing me while living in Egypt!

-On the downside: Healthcare and Dental are outrageously expensive here in the States as compared to Egypt.

Am still having fun and am currently in Titusville, Florida for a few days before continuing south to "wherever".

Best to all and I hope everyone continues to have great adventures!
Fleming
Old 13-02-2018, 15:56   #40

Boat: 1979 Chrysler 26'

Teknishn - I also remember your previous posts and I have to tell you I am very impressed at how much you have accomplished in a short time! It was apparent to me from your earlier posts you are a real go-getter, and that you know how to make a plan (plan A,B,C,D like you said) adjust your plans, and see it through to the end.

It would seem you went from feeling worried about how you would enjoy living in the US again, to really THRIVING by putting together a beautiful, and functional vessel for yourself and you are already cruising and living the dream some of us have taken or will take years to set out on!

On top of that you are doing a wonderful job documenting your adventure by creating well-made videos, and posting here to share your experiences with others like myself. Thank you! You are an inspiration to me and my hat goes off to you sir!

Keep going! Looking forward to following your journey and learning from your experience further.
Livinchi is offline   Reply With Quote