Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 10:41   #106
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: In a marina, what food items can / cant be thrown overboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Same is true of your toilet paper, dear. I live in Canada and the paper industry is a big employer.

I compost the coffee grounds and the paper filters. I have a composting toilet. When environmentalists (or progressive, or for that matter "left-wing" people) spend all their time criticizing one another for not being pure enough to get practical stuff done, we are circling the drain.

"Politics is the art of the possible." Pick your battles, pick your allies and don't be a pest.
I guess our Canadian education system failed at delivering basic geography?...With that train of thought I should support the most polluting companies so they can support the economy?
Why use a filter at all? Use a re-useable one or none at all. The same thought process says that putting plastic in landfills is a carbon capture program and helping the environment! "Politics is the art of the possible", while true it doesn't make these decisions the right decisions and as almost any person on the planet will attest we're all still paying for our various governments past policy F/up's.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 14:55   #107
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I guess our Canadian education system failed at delivering basic geography?...With that train of thought I should support the most polluting companies so they can support the economy?
Why use a filter at all? Use a re-useable one or none at all. The same thought process says that putting plastic in landfills is a carbon capture program and helping the environment! "Politics is the art of the possible", while true it doesn't make these decisions the right decisions and as almost any person on the planet will attest we're all still paying for our various governments past policy F/up's.
This is an international forum, I was pointing out that the pulp and paper industry isn't the worst thing in the world, in spite of your diatribe.

There's an interesting article in the Guardian that I have just read, "I don't have time to argue with idiots on the internet, any more"https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...ernet-any-more.

Cheers!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 14:57   #108

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaabor View Post
This looked like a real question that was worthy of a real answer. Not sure what the vitriol is about. These are things that nature can deal with as opposed to the man made stuff collecting in the oceans. Its been a long time since I sailed in the US but I can remember rowing past human "logs" by cities and garbage barges dumping in the ocean by New York city. I now hear that people can't wash dishes in campgrounds. A search for a more sensible middle seems like a reasonable idea to me.

Exactly. The prohibition against dumping plastics and other non or resistive to biodegradable in rivers, seas and oceans should be absolute. The disposal of biodegradables dictated by the environmental circumstances. Blanket prohibitions seldom work.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 15:52   #109
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
This is an international forum, I was pointing out that the pulp and paper industry isn't the worst thing in the world, in spite of your diatribe.

There's an interesting article in the Guardian that I have just read, "I don't have time to argue with idiots on the internet, any more"https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...ernet-any-more.

Cheers!
It is an international forum and my location is to the left. In actuality the pulp and paper industry is the third largest contributor of industrial air, water, and land emissions in Canada. And you're right, I don't have time to argue with idiots on the internet, any more
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 16:22   #110

Way ahead of us all.

Reference article: Floating garbage can: First Seabin installed in Singapore waters at yacht club

https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...ers-yacht-club

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 16:48   #111

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Dude... it takes a lot more than food scraps to cause algal blooms. The main culprit is runoff from golf courses and houses fertilizing their lawns and of course the healthy doses of sewer overflows that Florida communities regularly pump out.

We donít throw anything in the water in marinas.

You nailed it.
In a marina I wouldnít throw anything overboard, but at anchor why the h*ll not. Itís not like Iím dumping toxic waste, itís potato skins, egg shells, coffee grounds, etc.
You tight asses need to lighten up!
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, overboard