Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 08:46   #61

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: In a marina, what food items can / cant be thrown overboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
[QUOTE

Ask yourself "would you throw it in your garden at home?" Or are you one of those people that flings banana skins from the car as you drive along?
Yes and yes.

Why do you think biodegradable garbage is better in a landfill? Ideally, we would all separate our garbage into recyclable material and organic material, which we would compost in our gardens or in public composting bins (and make biogas at the same time).

Tossing vegetable matter in the sea from a few boats won't have any effect on the environment. In my region of Brazil, the tropical rain forest comes down the mountains to the water's edge (and often hangs over it). Imagine how many tons of leaves, branches and other organic matter goes into the ocean from the forest, especially after a rain. I think we sometimes lose sight of priorities...

Anyway, the OP was asking about tossing stuff in a marina. I suppose it would be better to put everything in the trash to avoid annoying your neighbours with floating potato peels and whatnot. I'm not sure there is much of an environmental argument to make concerning the tiny amount of organic waste produced by boats.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any idea how long it takes for a banana skin to rot? Decades!

Leaves and branches from trees are not the same as food waste disgarded by lazy people who can't be arsed to walk to the garbage and dispose of it properly. That's why we have a marine waste problem with plastics and other wastes.

Do you like sailing or living in a waste tip? Really?

Food waste should be composted where facilities exist but that does not give us the right to throw food into the sea willy nilly. If nothing else it attracts vermin (furry and feathered varieties)
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:56   #62

A number of folks have stated that they didn't think there was any harm in tossing food waste overboard in marinas. Has anybody seen data that supports that claim?
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:58   #63

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

You're kidding me, right?

Seriously, why do you think a cabbage leaf or a potato peel in the sea is any different than the leaves, sticks and branches that fall into the sea?
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:38   #64

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Since legally it is 3 miles off shore to dump food waste overboard, what exactly other than aesthetics is the difference in a marina?
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:38   #65

Boat: Bruce Roberts 345 35'

I can’t believe you think it acceptable to throw anything over board in a marina or anywhere for that matter. I don’t throw anything overboard even when I’m out sailing or at a anchor. I put all waste in a thing called a garbage bag inside of a garbage bin that is kept under the sink. Then properly dispose of it once on land into an appropriate waste bin.
Antares Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:41   #66

Nothing except, screw drivers, nuts, bolts, washers, 12mm sockets ad the occasional outboard motor!
CruiserBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:50   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Since legally it is 3 miles off shore to dump food waste overboard, what exactly other than aesthetics is the difference in a marina?
A marina is typically an enclosed and restricted waterway. It also likely has a high density of boaters. The biodiversity within is likely less, or certainly different, than surrounding open waters. As such, it should likely be treated differently than open waters.

As I say, it really shouldn’t be hard to know whether it is appropriate to heave your garbage over the side. If it’s an area of good flow/large volume, like when offshore, then it’s likely better environmentally to dump organics and biodegradable over the side. Otherwise, a landfill is likely the better option.
Old 13-05-2019, 06:51   #68

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

I confess to having thrown stuff overboard in a marina. Well, not exactly thrown, but shall we say, released. OK, dropped. A few nuts and bolts, a small Crescent wrench, a stainless tube fitting, and a sword (don't ask).

Oh, my very much more careful wife had a strap break on her bag and donated an iPhone to deep. I guess it can happen to anyone.

This is one of the reasons I gave my GMT Master Pepsi to my Grandson and now sport a very serviceable Seiko.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:51   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
The same people who write the laws are the same people who have to answer the phone when people call in to complain about stuff. On the one hand there are quite valid science/safety issues at play, on the other hand there are aesthetic issues that makes the phone ring. We are all familiar with rules/laws made mostly for regulatory expediency and this appears to be one of them.

If people really wanted to improve health and safety around marinas they'd outlaw alcohol, or a host of other things, before getting so excited about vegetable scraps in the water. But they don't.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 07:00   #70

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserBrad View Post
Nothing except, screw drivers, nuts, bolts, washers, 12mm sockets ad the occasional outboard motor!
How about an ATV? I was in one unnamed marina and someone forgot to engage the hand brake on the marina’s ATV. It was parked on a hill above the marina. I was awakened to a large splash and a sizeable wave as the thing dumped in the water, right beside our boat.

Spent the morning hours fishing the damn thing out. That was a lot worse than any table scraps.
Old 13-05-2019, 07:17   #71

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Thumbs down Re: In a marina, what food items can / cant be thrown overboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Yes and yes.

Why do you think biodegradable garbage is better in a landfill? Ideally, we would all separate our garbage into recyclable material and organic material, which we would compost in our gardens or in public composting bins (and make biogas at the same time).

Tossing vegetable matter in the sea from a few boats won't have any effect on the environment. In my region of Brazil, the tropical rain forest comes down the mountains to the water's edge (and often hangs over it). Imagine how many tons of leaves, branches and other organic matter goes into the ocean from the forest, especially after a rain. I think we sometimes lose sight of priorities...

Anyway, the OP was asking about tossing stuff in a marina. I suppose it would be better to put everything in the trash to avoid annoying your neighbours with floating potato peels and whatnot. I'm not sure there is much of an environmental argument to make concerning the tiny amount of organic waste produced by boats.

Leaves and branches from trees are not the same as food waste disgarded by lazy people who can't be arsed to walk to the garbage and dispose of it properly. That's why we have a marine waste problem with plastics and other wastes.

Do you like sailing or living in a waste tip? Really?

Food waste should be composted where facilities exist but that does not give us the right to throw food into the sea willy nilly. If nothing else it attracts vermin (furry and feathered varieties)[/QUOTE]

Environmentally, food waste thrown overboard consumes O2 in the water, accelerates growth of algae(algae bloom) and lures wildlife normally not seen in marinas, amongst other problems.
Bad Idea‼️
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 07:39   #72

Boat: 2004 Hunter 456 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to seafox9

Simple; NOTHING!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
Questionable things:

Bacon grease, chicken / steak bones (dont know about these)

Obvious things:

veggie scraps

Feel free to add items.

Thoughts?

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.
seafox9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:50   #73

Boat: Prairie 29

Unless you’re from Nigeria or Haiti....

It’s against the law! Find your ‘polution placard’. Read it. It in NOT just concerning Petroleum.

There are five specific areas around the country.
1. No Discharge zone. (Which means NO, NADA, ZIP ZILCH. And is location dependent)
2. Less than 3 miles.
3. Less than 12 miles.
4. Less than 25 miles.
5. Past 25 miles.

I’m pretty sure sitting at your marina qualifies for either NDZ or Less than 3 miles.

So Nothing would be the correct answer.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:20   #74

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post

At home, we compost banana peels along with all organic stuff from the kitchen. They are gone in a month or two.

Decades??? REALLY ??????

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:25   #75

Obviously nothing but.. my dog alway leaves a few pieces of kibble in his bowl, or around the deck. I keep feeling that fish would eat this right up, and would be fine for the environment, and better for the fish (organic brand of course). However, it does look bad, and I suppose would be against marina rules. I'm talking about a few pea size nuggets.... what do other pet owners do about this?
loneranger2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, overboard