Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 06:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Immigration check in via phone/internet

Just did a three day passage from the Bahamas...so very tired..had no luck with Customs and their on line ROAM app ..wanted online video conferencing..but getting errors..tried to make phone contacts with nearest immigration and customs office here inJax..they’re off checking in people on a cruise linner.. just received a notice on line we’re not permitted back in the US.. have no car to straighten this mess out..currently in Sisters Creek tied up to their public dock..anyone nearby with car to help us so we can back in the US legally?
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Immigration check in via phone/internet

I had a similar problem clearing into MD. Submitted my stuff when we can by Norfolk. Made Annapolis and still has not been cleared. I ending up calling port of Baltimore. And they cleared us.

Seems ROAM is only monitored Mon-Fri 9-5 up there.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:25   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I once checked in at Beaufort NC from Bermuda and asked the customs guys about how lax things were - It would have been possible to bring anything/anyone in on my boat and they would have been long gone by the time Customs got there. One of them said "Oh we know what boats are out there and where they came from. If you looked questionable you would have been boarded before you got here". Not sure how accurate or uniform this is but it is what they told me.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Now I can (partially)see why illegals don’t bother with being legal...

Now proudly flying our pirate flag..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:30   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

We've had issues with the android checkin process to, and ended up going in in person to accomplish checkin. Turns out we tried to do in enroute BVI to USVI, and must have not quite been over the boundary (or so we were told). Tried it again checking into Culebra from USVI (yes I know, both are US possessions, but checkin is required). It took about 20 minutes after we input all the data, but it (finally) came back cleared! Not a very impressive system!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:13   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Try calling the office in Fernandina Beach or St. Augustine. They were very helpful to me. They are not as busy, I guess... give them your passport numbers, etc.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:16   #7

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Try twitter ... seems to work for the president 😉
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:28   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

You can also take the ICW (International waterway, so you are legal, I guess) north to Fernandina Beach. it's no very far. If you haven't been there you will find a mooring field or the Municipal marina, which is going to be rebuild, I think it silted in... From there it is a very pleasant walk to the Customs office. But call ahead to make sure it is open. Lovely little town. Good luck.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:55   #9

We had an amazingly simple checkin KeyWest from Cuba-Grand Cayman. And this was on a Saturday night at around 4 pm. We think here is what helped make it easy.

We all had TSA precheck and Global Traveler status, so were preverified.
We checked OUT of previous ports.
We used the video conferencing closer in to get better cell signal.
We were on AIS most of our trip.
bluedotvoyages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:58   #10

ROAM failed (Android) crossing from Canada into US in the Pacfic Northwest. Kept getting error that I did not have location turned on, but I did, both at the operating system level and the app had access. Yes, rebooted phone. Determined that focus on phone made for a hazard to navigation and gave up. Checked in at kiosk at port of entry, waited for CBP agent who came down and checked my passport, just like the old days.
Old 07-05-2019, 17:23   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"You can also take the ICW (International waterway, so you are legal, I guess)"
Uh, no. That's IntraCoastal Waterway, it is very much domestic waters well inside the three-mile limit.
Our borders are SO porous, except where extensive resources are used. And meanwhile officialdom tries to pretend they are omnipresent...and they forget who funds their paychecks. A nasty farce it so often is.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 17:42   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Just did a three day passage from the Bahamas...so very tired..had no luck with Customs and their on line ROAM app ..wanted online video conferencing..but getting errors..tried to make phone contacts with nearest immigration and customs office here inJax..they’re off checking in people on a cruise linner.. just received a notice on line we’re not permitted back in the US.. have no car to straighten this mess out..currently in Sisters Creek tied up to their public dock..anyone nearby with car to help us so we can back in the US legally?
First are you US citizens? Second do you have the local boaters option? Third have you tried the 800 number ?

Tags
internet, phone