Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 19:01   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
I'm Not Gumby Anymore - Quarter and V-Beth Use

The Mrs and I are on the precipice of purchasing our retirement live aboard. We're late blooming newbies with about 3 years of recreational sailing on our Cat 25 and starting our ASA courses this spring. We've anchored out a few nights on our C-25 and that was enough to convince us both that climbing in and out of a quarter berth or v-berth is a struggle for us. Once she spotted a centerline aft cabin the center cockpits moved to the top of her list. A Moody 38 to be more specific. Now, I know this has probably been beat to death but, from personal experience, do they really sail all that bad? I have to admit, not having to do yoga just too get out of bed sounds pretty good. How do you all bunk in your aft cockpit boats?
Kper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:54   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: I'm Not Gumby Anymore - Quarter and V-Beth Use

Our aft cockpit boat has a huge v berth, more that 6’ wide by 6’6” deep. And about 3’ wide at the foot. It would be a climb up to get in so we keep a plastic step there to get in easier. We also have a quarter cabin that is a legitimate double although it is positioned fore and aft. We prefer the v berth and keep the quarter berth for guests. Of course that means it is the storage garage mostly.

That said, we have often admired the centerline queen berths on other boats. While not great sea berths they are attractive for most nights at anchor or in a slip.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:14   #3

Our biggest pain is crawling in the berth and spinning around. I actually like the v-berth because I like the vent above my head but, it's getting harder and harder to spin around once I'm in there.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kper View Post
. . . A Moody 38 to be more specific. Now, I know this has probably been beat to death but, from personal experience, do they really sail all that bad? . . .

Which Moody 38? There were three different versions.

The last version, starting in 2000, was a very good sailing boat and beautifully made and finished. This boat was part of the last generation of Moodys which bankrupted the company as they tried to get their historic clientele back from Oyster etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	m38_p15.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	187761

You can read more about this version here:

https://moodyowners.org/Moody_Archives/86_boat.htm

A friend of mine entered this boat in the Fastnet a few years ago and did very well -- I think second or third in class, IIRC. They are reasonably fast and very good sailing boats, very strong, and beautifully fitted out below.

Unfortunately the prices reflect this as you will need to pay up to $200,000 for a good example. Here's one for sale in the U.S. for about $120,000, but will need a lot of upgrading: https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...dy-38-3487619/

If you're talking about the '90's version, this one:

https://moodyowners.org/Moody_Archives/27_boat.htm

Then that is much cheaper, but much less nice, at least in terms of finishing -- all Moodys are built like brick outhouses.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Which Moody 38? There were three different versions.
The Mrs has been eyeing centerline rear berths off and on for a couple years but it wasn't until she saw this example that changed everything. She doesn't care how this one sails, she just knows she could live on this one.

https://youtu.be/6QNzDprtVz4

As far as which model, I know she doesn't care for the walk-through berth of the older models.

She and I approach boats two different ways, she's all about appearance in livability and I focus on sailing characteristics, ease of maintenance and price. She eventually wants to end up in the BVI so I keep a close eye on draft... I'd like to keep it under 5 feet but if she finds a boat she likes, which it seems that she has, I guess I'll just find a shoal keel model and work-arounds on everything else.

She spotted the example that you posted on the Northeast coast but we've slipped next to dark hulled boats before and they just look like a maintenance nightmare to me. I've also been told they get hot in the southern climates.

I know you can't believe everything you hear but I've been told the Moody 38 CCs built prior to 2001 where the best sailing and the later models were piggish. Not exactly what they were thinking when they said that but I don't always believe what I hear, either.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:04   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

When we bought our boat avoiding vberth acrobatics was at the top of the list. We settled on a Hunter because they had some goos solutions and were reasonably riced. They tend to have a bad rep, but you will find plenty of defenders out there as well. Take a look at the Hunter 40...
Old 11-03-2019, 09:54   #7

Well, I have a HYLAS 44 1991 for sale in the Netherlands. Center cockpit and centerline double bunk in the aftcabin.
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:13   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
The Mrs has been eyeing centerline rear berths off and on for a couple years but it wasn't until she saw this example that changed everything. She doesn't care how this one sails, she just knows she could live on this one.

https://youtu.be/6QNzDprtVz4

As far as which model, I know she doesn't care for the walk-through berth of the older models.

She and I approach boats two different ways, she's all about appearance in livability and I focus on sailing characteristics, ease of maintenance and price. She eventually wants to end up in the BVI so I keep a close eye on draft... I'd like to keep it under 5 feet but if she finds a boat she likes, which it seems that she has, I guess I'll just find a shoal keel model and work-arounds on everything else.

She spotted the example that you posted on the Northeast coast but we've slipped next to dark hulled boats before and they just look like a maintenance nightmare to me. I've also been told they get hot in the southern climates.

I know you can't believe everything you hear but I've been told the Moody 38 CCs built prior to 2001 where the best sailing and the later models were piggish. Not exactly what they were thinking when they said that but I don't always believe what I hear, either.
Well, that's the Mark II, and possibly the highest quality sub 40 footer you can buy. But for that money you can buy a 50 foot something else - you sure it makes sense?

As to sailing ability - my friend did very well in the Fastnet in that boat and claims it sails very well. I have no personal knowledge as I only spent evenings in the very elegant salon, tied up in port. I guess you'll need to arrange a sea trial, and make up your own mind.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:24   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

My wife and I have been looking at a lot of boats lately, as our old boat got crushed by a 100ft motor yacht. Like you, we don't want to perform stuntwork to get in and out of bed, and certainly don't want to have to climb over each other to get up in the middle of the night to check the anchor or take a leak. A centerline island queen quickly became a must-have on our list. Also on our list was a sugarscoop stern with a walkthrough transom to make it easier for our dogs to get between the dingy and the boat without us having to carry them. Imagine trying to lift a pair of Rottweilers! The latter requirement largely eliminated center-cockpit boats, which generally support the big aft cabin layout that we also like. Fortunately we found a very suitable compromise, at least for us, in a Catalina 470. It met all our requirements - stern, transom, cockpit, aft island queen, etc - with the additional benefit of a companionway ladder that is more dog-friendly than most.

We're in the midst of buying it now, next step is the survey and sea trial. Of course every boat is a series of compromises, and what works for us may not work for the next guy. But just know that there are aft cockpit boats that still have spacious aft cabins too, it can be done...

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1).jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	187775  
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:35   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
... How do you all bunk in your aft cockpit boats?
We prefer to bunk in our aft cabin, although our forward V-Berth is spacious.

Looking aft into stateroom:

We lie the same way we enter the berth— with our heads aft. [i.e., Enter head first]

The Queen sized mattress is oriented fore-and-aft. [i.e., not athwartships]

Best wishes finding your retirement boat!

Cheers! Bill
Old 11-03-2019, 11:39   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Looking aft into stateroom:
Hmmmm, and you added a stripper pole too
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:46   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Hmmmm, and you added a stripper pole too
We strive for everything onboard to have more than one function...

Cheers! Bill
Old 12-03-2019, 15:30   #13

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Just finished typing a reply and the website disappeared it. I'll try to recreate:
My 74 Morgan OI 41 has a spacious aft berth. I suppose sleeping in the center would be more comfortable in rough weather at anchor, but that's rarely been a problem for us. I love being able to open and look out the stern ports: stays dry at anchor in the worst weather. Good headroom (I'm 6-4) in the cabin and adjoining head. We sleep at right angle to the centerline, and the berth is full width, so one person has to climb over the other ( or below their feet) to get in and out. Doesn't bother me.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 17:53   #14

Obviously we're going to have to step into every boat we can until she declares the search is over.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, I process and reprocess this info over and over. Part of the hell of living in my head. Once she finds the right one I can start a new process of prep and repairs.
Old 19-03-2019, 11:52   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Center cockpit boats tend to have small cockpits. We wanted a big one. We had a Jeanneau 42 do which has a huge cockpit and aft stateroom with king size bed. Compromises included a high cockpit requiring a long staircase, modest, but acceptable headroom, so so ventilation and occasional hull slaps from flat aft section. We wouldn’t use v berth because of the difficulty of getting in and out of as well as putting sheets and blankets. We compromised and got a 47 foot catamaran with three walk around berths. Offshore we generally slept on a salon settee.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote