Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 08:02   #1

Im Moving to Sea and Torn

Hey all,
I plan on moving from land to the joy's and sorrows of being a liveaboard here in about 2 months or so. So I have researched, studied, shopped and researched some more (man my brain hurts). Which has lead me to my current decision. A 1984 Catalina 30 with electric propulsion, or a 1979 33 Morgan Out Islander diesel. I plan on refitting the one I purchase with solar panels, new AGM batteries and a water maker.
I plan on harboring in south Florida and spending most of my free time in the Bahamas, gulf of Mexico and such. But eventually I would like to venture around the world ( probably 10 years or so down the road).
Just wondering if anyone had any opinions about these subjects they would like to throw my way.
Rico_Leprichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 08:22   #2

Re: Im moving to sea and torn

Dont over think it Do it and you will learn all you need to know...Oh and get a good dinghy
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 08:29   #3

I over think everything, I like to be prepared, that and I'm a wee bit ocd.
Old 20-12-2012, 08:33   #4

Well then you may make yourself crazy The things you may thing are a big deal may not be . The thing you over looked may be a big deal You only know once you are engaged
ME ......I have been aboard 4 years now.....way past crazy at this point. What I have learned a v birth kills my back A queen berth is heaven
Old 20-12-2012, 08:35   #5

Rico
My thoughts, a diesel set up is well proven, simple and reliable
my advice is buy the biggest boat you can afford,within reason
Old 20-12-2012, 08:38   #6

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Good for you in taking the plunge! I like Catalinas and I am a partner in a Catalina 42, but for extended cruising beyond the Horizon, I would definitelay opt for the full keel and heavier build of the Morgan. Of course the condition and costs of the boats weigh heavily on any decision.

I also have a Cartwright 36 full keel cutter that we are just finishing prepping for extended time in the Blue...

Todd
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 08:44   #7

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Rico
My thoughts, a diesel set up is well proven, simple and reliable
my advice is buy the biggest boat you can afford,within reason

More space and size is always good. My mantra is slightly orthogonal to this:

Always buy the smallest boat that will accommodate everything you need. (Not everything you want)
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 08:44   #8

I will admit the biggest attraction to the Catalina was the electric propulsion since I want to be as self sufficient as possible being I am poor and the would limit or even negate the need for fuel.
Old 20-12-2012, 09:20   #9

I'd probably go for the Morgan for your trip. Nothing wrong with a cat 30, but if it's old enough, check the keel bolts and surrounding hull.
The cost of diesel on a boat like that is almost nothing. The cost of replacing electrical componants could be large... depending on how well the installation really works. I guess you need to assure yourself that the electical system is working very well and bulletproof.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 09:26   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you're going cruising you might want to rethink the AGMs.
Old 20-12-2012, 09:32   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you think you can sail everywhere and won't ever need the engine except to get in and out of the harbor, go for electric. If you want to be equipped for the real world, go with the diesel. First, if it takes a 20hp engine to propel the boat satisfactorily against wind and waves, think survival, it will take a 20hp equivalent electric motor to do the same job. A motor that size will flatten a battery bank in minutes, not hours if run at anywhere near it's maximum output. What happens to the toys like the water maker when the sun don't shine?? With a diesel, you can always fire it up to charge the batteries.

Electric propulsion has a future Unfortunately, the present is for dreamers except if you can get by with very short range propulsion capability.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 09:33   #12

OK, I'm 86'n the Catalina 30. So that puts me back to a 33'-40' ship with the Morgan at the top of the list right this moment.

thoughts on watermakers, solar/wind, generators, battery types? I know most will be dependent on needs, size and things. Maybe brand recommendations
Old 20-12-2012, 09:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you think you can sail everywhere and won't ever need the engine except to get in and out of the harbor, go for electric. If you want to be equipped for the real world, go with the diesel. First, if it takes a 20hp engine to propel the boat satisfactorily against wind and waves, think survival, it will take a 20hp equivalent electric motor to do the same job. A motor that size will flatten a battery bank in minutes, not hours if run at anywhere near it's maximum output. What happens to the toys like the water maker when the sun don't shine?? With a diesel, you can always fire it up to charge the batteries.

Electric propulsion has a future Unfortunately, the present is for dreamers except if you can get by with very short range propulsion capability.
And that removes my electric propulsion conversion plans, I like to be prepared for the real world.
Old 20-12-2012, 09:39   #14

If you just want to go get any reasonable boat and go.. If you want to fuss and tinker and over-think the problem go with the electric. Your fuel cost is what you make it. I've been out cruising this boat for 3 years, many thousands of miles. Maybe $1000 in fuel so far. Dumb old wet lead acid batteries. Having a fabulous time.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 09:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
If you just want to go get any reasonable boat and go.. If you want to fuss and tinker and over-think the problem go with the electric. Your fuel cost is what you make it. I've been out cruising this boat for 3 years, many thousands of miles. Maybe $1000 in fuel so far. Dumb old wet lead acid batteries. Having a fabulous time.
I don't want any reasonable boat, but defiantly reasonable for my purchase budget, modification budget, and need's (wants) accomadations ( queen berth/ fun room ).