Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 13:30   #31

Boat: Various
Re: If you had a million dollars.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
The nature of the business demands 80-100 hours a week to stay successful, and that's loosing it's appeal. Help is extinct, and this kind of work isn't exactly sunshine and unicorn farts. .
I once did insane hours. I stopped. In our business we do not allow even the CEO to exceed 45 hours in a week and expect mostly under 40. When I cut back my productivity stayed amazingly similar to what it was but I see that your productivity is 100% tied to your hours.

The nature of your job and hours throws an entirely different vision of the question. Maybe you're not ready to travel and live on a boat or some of the dreams yet, but I firmly believe you deserve a change of some sort. I think you and your wife should figure it out. As to the business, maybe you raise prices to decrease the amount. I don't know that business. I think surely someone could be trained to do it but I understand still so much is you.

I would work with your wife to figure out what you want life to look like now. Maybe you get a little bit selling your business and train someone briefly, but whatever it is, it's not fair to you, her or your daughter. We have a 22 year old who sort of became our "adopted" daughter at the age of 18 and spend the summer with her as much as possible because I admit the thought of her starting work and having less time with her really gets to me. She's not going to move away anywhere but still and when she gets married and has kids.

Maybe you don't become a dock hand but you become a dockmaster somewhere. The answer may not be retire yet but a few years in a new career. I can't answer as to what is right for you, but I can tell you that you'll be amazed at life if you just work normal hours. Maybe time for a priority shift and I guess some would say shift the top priority to your family, but it's really to you and for you. Your family will benefit but you will more. I admire all you've done and your success and your work ethic, but the world passes by and you age quickly. I know I'm lying to myself but that's fine, I don't feel like I've aged at all the last 17 years.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 13:43   #32

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Thanks BandB. We have started to shift our focus toward product sales, but that has yet to prove fruitful. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but I sure don't want to gamble all we've worked for on a dream of more work. Dreams of fun are more, well, fun.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 14:08   #33

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Similar age, similar aspirations here. If the fence building is slow in the winter, would you consider a half-in half-out strategy? Keep a boat in the Bahamas or the Caribbean, sail in the winter, and then put the hours in hard in the summer?
I do that now, where my full time work is 70-80 hrs/week, but then I take long six month breaks. At our ages (I'm 32), I usually find at the end of six months of off-time that I'm ready to work again. And at the end of six months of work, I generally feel, like your wife, that "it's time" I like these mini-retirements, and much prefer it to full-on retiring which some friends have done young.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 14:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I do that now, where my full time work is 70-80 hrs/week, but then I take long six month breaks.
Very interested in knowing more about this setup. Specifically the mini-retirement aspects. Where do you keep the boat? How does it keep for 6 months without use? I got LOTS of questions... may be best to start a new thread where you can share the details, if you're up for it.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 14:32   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
This is really turning into a great discussion, and I thank you for that.
Indeed, I'm connecting many dots for myself.

What I see in your posts is two distinct issues.
1) You're trapped in your own business success. What now?
2) What will you do once you figure out #1?

The rest (which boat, spending time aboard your house boat, kid's college, financial details) is just noise to me. Figuring out the transition out of the current business is the hardest part. I'm getting clear about that myself. Perhaps not so surprising is that every step I take forward, new perspectives and options open up to me. For now, I'm staying with the process and asking the hard questions of myself. Only I can answer those.
Old 04-08-2017, 14:35   #36

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

In a heart beat, I'm gone, but then I'm 79 and already have a decent retirement and a well found boat and still able to look for love.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 14:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Ok, throw me a bone here. Without turning this thread into a real estate chat, how do some of you even get started in rental properties?
Want to start a new thread elsewhere? Happy to contribute more details to keep this on track.

There is no "in a nutshell" for this topic. Talk to 100 people and you'll get 120 answers. What works for some makes others run away.

It works, and it works well. But, as with boating - it takes lots of learning, lots of creativity, and lots of hands on work (at least in the beginning). It is hard to get off the ground. And it gets easier with time, experience, and scale of resources.
Old 04-08-2017, 15:48   #38

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovak View Post
Very interested in knowing more about this setup. Specifically the mini-retirement aspects. Where do you keep the boat? How does it keep for 6 months without use? I got LOTS of questions... may be best to start a new thread where you can share the details, if you're up for it.
Happy to chime in where I can. There are other that are much better than me the half on/half off thing. Kenomac springs to mind (1/2 the year on a nice, large Oyster on the Med, the other half in New England), and more than a few members who keep boats either in charter or on the hard in Trinidad or the Rio Dulce or Green Cove Springs (and other FL marinas) during the Caribbean/Bahamas summer hurricane months. Start a thread and I'm sure you will not lack for advice
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 15:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Similar age, similar aspirations here. If the fence building is slow in the winter, would you consider a half-in half-out strategy? Keep a boat in the Bahamas or the Caribbean, sail in the winter, and then put the hours in hard in the summer?
I do that now, where my full time work is 70-80 hrs/week, but then I take long six month breaks. At our ages (I'm 32), I usually find at the end of six months of off-time that I'm ready to work again. And at the end of six months of work, I generally feel, like your wife, that "it's time" I like these mini-retirements, and much prefer it to full-on retiring which some friends have done young.
Yes, we have definitely considered that. Certainly pros and cons to that plan. We haven't had a winter off in three years.....it's like friggin groundhog day around here. If we have a hard winter, we could maybe pull it off, but it would be a financial strain. That fixed overhead doesn't go away when it snows. Taking a job in the summer wouldn't be out of the question, but to be honest, I don't think we would leave if we didn't have our finances in good enough order to make it without jobs. The part time jobs would just be to pad us if we wanted it. I do get being ready to work, and being ready to take a break. I think that's where we are now....ready to take a break for a few years and then get back after it. Just want to do it without blowing our nest egg.
Old 04-08-2017, 16:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovak View Post
Taking the discussion in that direction wouldn't bother me a bit, Slovak. No need to fire up another thread. I promise, my feelers don't get hurt very easy. Feel free to share any thoughts you'd like to, since that's what brainstorming is all about. Cheers.
Old 04-08-2017, 16:14   #41

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2768.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	153393[/ATTACH]

Just to cheer things up a bit, here is our current boat before we bought it, and after some fresh paint, new carpet, and most of the canvas. The old stripes were red and blue. New pic ended up first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	153392  
Old 04-08-2017, 17:04   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd say cruise what you have and cut back a few months to do so.
What you have is HUGE by sailboat standards, HUGE.
Take a Summer off, maybe there is an in between wide open and stop?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 17:29   #43

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

If we had a million dollars....

Notice I said we, not the OP, or anyone else, since we cannot make decisions for them. But with the OP's comments and his situation, I would say that it might be a disaster. Too many if's, and not much support by a spouse.

Our situation: Both retired, fit and healthy, and work at staying that way, exercising and hiking. Both of us, not just one of us.

1. A special lady of 34 years, and we are a team and have great love for darned near everything, including, nature adventure, sailing worldwide, use to be active flying general aviation aircraft, SCUBA diving, snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, and partying, etc, etc.

2. We really like sailing, but no longer much interested in say sails, so not sure about buying a boat. To bloody old to go permanent cruising around the world.

3. We would remain domiciled near the beach and marina, like we are now, but upgrade to just a bit larger digs. It that necessary, no, but it would be nice.

4. Probably get a second car. Our present car is a new Mazda 3 hatch back, red, that we really like.

But, I have always wanted a 1958 0r 50 corvette, totally restored .

5. Since we are getting up there, even tho we work out five days a week and add in hikes, we know , at least I am on lifes final glide slope, and we fully intend on having one heck of good time while still able to do so.

6. So, we would do more traveling, and bareboat chartering thru out the planet, and going on eco land adventures.

7. Actually, not sure that our lives would change a whole lot, but any changes would have to be totally accepted by both of us.

Well, that is our idea , not what many others might do. But , that would make us to maintain our happy lifestyle.

Send the checks to............
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 18:26   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvisailing32 View Post
If we had a million dollars....

Notice I said we, not the OP, or anyone else, since we cannot make decisions for them. But with the OP's comments and his situation, I would say that it might be a disaster. Too many if's, and not much support by a spouse.

Our situation: Both retired, fit and healthy, and work at staying that way, exercising and hiking. Both of us, not just one of us.

1. A special lady of 34 years, and we are a team and have great love for darned near everything, including, nature adventure, sailing worldwide, use to be active flying general aviation aircraft, SCUBA diving, snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, and partying, etc, etc.

2. We really like sailing, but no longer much interested in say sails, so not sure about buying a boat. To bloody old to go permanent cruising around the world.

3. We would remain domiciled near the beach and marina, like we are now, but upgrade to just a bit larger digs. It that necessary, no, but it would be nice.

4. Probably get a second car. Our present car is a new Mazda 3 hatch back, red, that we really like.

But, I have always wanted a 1958 0r 50 corvette, totally restored .

5. Since we are getting up there, even tho we work out five days a week and add in hikes, we know , at least I am on lifes final glide slope, and we fully intend on having one heck of good time while still able to do so.

6. So, we would do more traveling, and bareboat chartering thru out the planet, and going on eco land adventures.

7. Actually, not sure that our lives would change a whole lot, but any changes would have to be totally accepted by both of us.

Well, that is our idea , not what many others might do. But , that would make us to maintain our happy lifestyle.

Send the checks to............
I can appreciate your view, but let me make it perfectly clear that my wife is the most supportive wife in the land. We are teammates and partners in everything we do. Whichever way the wind blows us, it blows us together. I'm the one that's hung up on selling our place. She'd leave in the morning if we could.
Old 05-08-2017, 00:22   #45

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

You are one of those good old boys. Have really enjoyed your writing style and the way you think.

Insurance is always a big prickly issue for me and my wife. I would retire tomorrow even without the million dollars. But I'm stuck for another two years securing our life insurance. The long-term planning of your medical benefits is a serious concern for all people. How do you plan on making sure that your child has healthcare and your wife as you age?

A man who is good with tools can find many sorts of work. Is there a way for you to reinvent how you do your work and take some of the stress off of your body? Can you spend a little extra money on equipment to take some of the stress off of your body? I work in the healthcare business and I've seen so many young men with destroyed backs destroyed shoulders destroyed hands due to the heavy manual labor they are put through every day. I think you may be heading down the track and I think you know it's true.

Is there not a way for you to escape during the winter when business is slow for even several months? You need to recharge your soul and allow your family time to enjoy one another and feel the joy of life. You work so hard, don't you think that you and your wife and child deserves some of the fruits of that labor? I know that you feel that! I can sense it in your writing style.

So here is my formula for finding your groove. Next winter plan one month off during during the hard part of the winter. Go someplace and take sailing lessons in the British Virgin Islands or the Bahamas someplace warm in the water is blue and the margaritas are fantastic. You don't have to liquidate anything? You might spend a little money but see if you really like sailing and learn some skills. It will give your health time to recuperate. It will give you time to recharge your soul. He will bind your wife and your child tighter. It will allow your wife to stop worrying about your terrible work weeks. She will see a husband healthier and happier. I am sure she worries endlessly. You know that the path you are on will end badly if you keep up this work schedule. You are a good man. You worry about your wife and your child. Do what is right for yourself and that will be right for them also. There is nothing more important than your health! Nothing! Baby steps first. Then when you understand if it helps with my formula to take bigger steps. That way you don't blow up everything and then find out you screwed yourself
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote