Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 05:41   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: if you had $20,000 to spend....

20k might get you oneof the 2 definitely project one bedroom boats made by formosa boat builders or whomever made those formosas/cts in the yards in guaymas/san carlos, mexico....those were last seen at 5000 usd, and needing some work.

the smallest price i have yet seenon a 51 formosa was 40kusd. those have 2 cabins, one with more bunkage for crew and kids.
more than 100k, usually, if in decent shape, and if in sorry shape as a project, over 50k usd.
i have seen vagabond 47s go for 60k, but in dire need...usually they go for over 90k usd--gooood boats ....
have yet to see a westsail 43 for under 100k usd...but i have not been looking as i have my formosa under my feet now....

20k doesnt usually make for a good boat unless you seek a project, 30k could get you a formosa 41 in decent shape, but still wanting more work to be done....

good luck in your search.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 04:16   #17
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i guess we are stuck on a trawler for now then. 43-46' class with two cabins seems to be in our ballpark.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 05:07   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Keep looking, a Formosa 46 went for $15000 a couple months back on Craigslist. Deals do come up but they go fast. The 46 was gone in one day. Look a a bunch of boats so when "the" deal comes along you recognize it. Also make what you think are crazy low offers, you will be shocked how many say yes or come back close to it.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 05:12   #19
cruiser

lol i do make insane offers. sometimes i get chewed out, or ignored, lol.

Quote:
Dear racedude5,

well, new steel is $500 for 2200#. so if the hull weights 20 ton, its less then $10,000 for the steel. at current scrap rates, it would about $4000.
i am not calling it scrap.
the thing with selling a project boat like this is they sit. and sit. i can link to you 5 hulls on a yacht website that have been there for over 8 years.
the truth is to complete this hull of yours you are looking at 120,000-160,000.
however you know that.
at the end of the auction, if you want to email me, i am willing to work with you on a price, and take this off your hands.
Quote:
Thanks for insulting my intelligence and boat. sounds like it is not for you

- racedude5
Old 16-05-2013, 05:32   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Yes some will get pissed then sell for less then you offered months years later. I got into it with a guy on one of the forums about a junk Shannon 38. He said "these boats never sell for under $80000 in good shape" and thought his was worth $90000 or so. A clean fresh water 20 plus years in the Great lakes Shannon 38 just sold on EBay for $35000. I guess never just happened. I you want to see what anything is worth try selling it. The true value of anything is not what "you" would sell for it's what someone is willing to pay.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 06:16   #21

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

If I had $20,000 to spend and was looking for a boat with the features you want, I would park the cash in a mutual fund and work a few more years to get $50,000 together, At 20k, you are not going to be able to buy a boat that will not bring with it an enormous amount of headaches. Somewhere between 45-50, you should be able to find something that will satisfy your check list and not bring you misery.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 06:35   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Forgetting about the initial purchase price, here's a very quick tour of the costs of getting a boat true blue water ready
electronics (new chart plotter/radar/AIS etc) use 8
windvane rudder usd usd 5
new/additional anchors/chain USD 5
new Dinghy/motor (hypalon) USD 5
Liferaft/Epirb etc USD 5
Spare sails USD 15
Etc (what I forgot you want/need
or what the boat needs/tools/spares
you name it USD 10

Total USD 53

All the above is assuming you do not need to do anything really radical to the boat to make it blue water ready.

Better rethink your budget

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 18:47   #23
cruiser

so your talking 1000's right?
chart plotter radar is $2000 now, not 5000
GARMIN GPSMAP® 740s Chartplotter/Sounder with GMR 18HD Radome with No Transducer at West Marine

5000 for anchors and chain? stainless maybe, but zinc is about $1.88Lft

spare sails? who would buy a full set of spare sails?
Old 16-05-2013, 19:11   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
chart plotter radar is $2000 now, not 5000?
That $2000 chartplotter/radar isn't going to do you much good sitting in the Original box... It needs to be installed. You're setting yourself up for a real mess with a $20,000 budget for a 45 foot boat. Didn't you read the posting earlier today about the guy and his family who purchased a 1976, 37 foot boat and were now stranded somewhere in Floriduh after nearly everything onboard broke down just three hours after leaving port... Including the engine.

You're just looking for trouble with your budget.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 20:44   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

You may be able to find a houseboat.

1972 Chris-Craft Aquahome 34' HOUSEBOAT FOR SALE in Other Boats | eBay Motors

But I would go nuts and spend the extra 17k for this one..

Powerboats & Motorboats : Cruisers in Powerboats & Motorboats | eBay Motors

At your budget pretty much any boat of a decent size you get will most likely not be ready for travel so might as well aim at comfort.
Old 17-05-2013, 00:35   #26

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Forgetting about the initial purchase price, here's a very quick tour of the costs of getting a boat true blue water ready
electronics (new chart plotter/radar/AIS etc) use 8
windvane rudder usd usd 5
new/additional anchors/chain USD 5
new Dinghy/motor (hypalon) USD 5
Liferaft/Epirb etc USD 5
Spare sails USD 15
Etc (what I forgot you want/need
or what the boat needs/tools/spares
you name it USD 10

Total USD 53

All the above is assuming you do not need to do anything really radical to the boat to make it blue water ready.

Better rethink your budget
I meant what I wrote. You wanted a big boat and you want to cross oceans (your original post) If you only want to puddle about in the Chesapeake, you don't need the half.

A good chart plotter/radar/AIS including antennas, cables etc will cost you USD 8 or so. Ok you can pick it up cheaper, I was quoting Furono (which will survive a circumnavigation). Your chain at about 2 bucks a foot - A big boat will need at least 3/8 inch chain. I don't know the prices for that in the states, 2 bucks a foot is about 6 bucks a meter, 100 meters of chain is 600. A good Rocna anchor (or similar - no preference indicated) will set you back another grand. A secondary anchor (say fortress) plus 10 meters of chain, plus 100 meters of anchoring rope is easily another grand. How about a tertiary anchor? another grand. So far 3500. Add some for chain snubbers etc and you'll hit 5 grand.

So 8 is maybe a little heavy but no too much

Spare set of sails? Well, once outside of USA/europe/Oceania sailmakers become scare. Not saying you can't sail without a spare set - but how old are the sails on the boat you are buying? Are they in good shape? You probably should consider a spare set.

I'm outfitting a circumnavigator right now. The boat I bought is only 6 years old and has been extremely well-cared for, no essential maintenance necessary here at the start.

I'll be spending that 50 grand to bring it up to snuff.

But people circumnavigate and cross oceans in leaky buckets - it's up to you.

But the 50 grand is not far off in the real world. PM a guy named Rebel Heart - he just sold up and took off. Read his thread "I'm spending so much money it hurts" That will tell you what it costs

Good luck

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 17-05-2013, 00:43   #27

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
chart plotter radar is $2000 now, not 5000
GARMIN GPSMAP® 740s Chartplotter/Sounder with GMR 18HD Radome with No Transducer at West Marine

5000 for anchors and chain? stainless maybe, but zinc is about $1.88Lft

spare sails? who would buy a full set of spare sails?
In my original budget I said USD 8 for new electronics Chartplotter/radar/AIS etc - this is all new electronics since a very old boat , bought for 20 grand - the electronics are generally going to be sh*t.
Add radar to the GArmin you're quoting and it is an additional USD 1200. Add AIS and you'll be looking at a grand more. New SSB radio? Another grand.

MY USD 8 is not far off when you also add lengths of antenna cable, transducers, stainless clamps, you name it.

By the way - in all my numbers I'm assuming you are "handy" and will do every single bit of installation work yourself. If you get a boatyard you to it - double up.

I'm not trying to sh*t on your dream - but if you seriously are thinking ocean crossing and you're buying a 45 ft boat for 20 grand - well you need to be aware that a lot of work will need to be done.

good luck

Old 17-05-2013, 03:31   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: if you had $20,000 to spend....

And now the alternative approach..
Instead of a CP.. get a laptop/notebook and Nimble Navigator ... buy a GPS tracker and an AIS receiver that ties in... should come to around $1K.. less if you already have the laptop...
Your now set up to navigate the world...
Chuck the radar and other toys in the skip... all you really need now is a Depth recorder.... save the dimes for the engine, hull and rig.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:34   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That $2000 chartplotter/radar isn't going to do you much good sitting in the Original box... It needs to be installed. You're setting yourself up for a real mess with a $20,000 budget for a 45 foot boat. Didn't you read the posting earlier today about the guy and his family who purchased a 1976, 37 foot boat and were now stranded somewhere in Floriduh after nearly everything onboard broke down just three hours after leaving port... Including the engine.

You're just looking for trouble with your budget.
the engine is not an issue, at all.
i am a diesel tech.

Old 17-05-2013, 03:40   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And now the alternative approach..
Instead of a CP.. get a laptop/notebook and Nimble Navigator ... buy a GPS tracker and an AIS receiver that ties in... should come to around $1K.. less if you already have the laptop...
Your now set up to navigate the world...
Chuck the radar and other toys in the skip... all you really need now is a Depth recorder.... save the dimes for the engine, hull and rig.
your correct on that. many people i have seen, do that.
but 2000 for a radar, plotter, sounder is too cheap to ignore.