Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2018, 14:27   #1
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Ideal Albin-like liveaboards?

Hi folks,

My search for a liveaboard boat for an upcoming purchase probably next year has included, in the following pecking order:

Contrast 33
Albin Nova
Contessa 32
Albin Ballad
Albin Vega

I hope to keep my boat for at least 10+ years. Sometimes the Nova and the Contrast are stated as 33ft even though looking at their LOA they are listed as 9.xx metres. This is a little puzzling. Could someone explain?

One factor that I have considered is that while cruising I would probably have to pay per ft for berthing / marina / other services. If a C33 is 9.85m (32.3ft), would this be charged as 33ft? This would probably add up even if just an extra foot and I am looking to maximize my cruising time since I am not sure of my future income. Although I'm not entirely sure if such a minor length difference is a problem. I know that most marinas charge per meter anyway and in that case this doesn't really apply to me. Thoughts?

The location of the mainsheet traveller has also been a point of contention as has standing headroom, tiller and a lead keel. From videos of the Vega it looks like it might be out of the question, even though I'm sure I would enjoy it too, just probably not for 10+ years. I must add that the sailing performance of the boat would take some precedence over the comfort factor and I am leaning towards the Contrast 33 now. Budget is ~200,000 SEK roughly. I don't have that much sailing experience and I am currently improving on that, but the boat should still be good for single-handing and a possible lady-friend addition later on in life.

Long term goal is to sail it across the Atlantic and into the Carribean and god knows where else.

I have settled on a 30 - 32ft for living aboard, but if someone has any opinions and personal experiences I would love to read about them for hints on anything I have missed in my considerations.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 15:21   #2

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26
Re: Ideal Albin-like liveaboards?

Hmm. If you're looking for performance don't look at a Vega. Also the weird prop arrangement is a minus (prop behind rudder). But spacious, more or less like the ballad. And more budget friendly, if you buy a decent ballad then there is nothing left to actually convert it to a cruising boat.

I owned a pretty similar boat to the ballad (iw-31), for me personally to small for a liveabord, but not by much.

I don't have any experiences with the other boats.

This guy documented a complete refit of a ballad (older videos, changed to another boat since then)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x...PNWdVtl9PkDmgA

Most marinas in the baltic charge by "length group" for short term stays, mostly something like below 10m, 10-12m, above 12m. But if you're cruising you'll probably be at anchor most of the time anyways because its much cheaper and nicer as well.
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 18:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy! Welcome Aboard CF!

You are interested in Albin boats, various models.

I suggest reading back through some of the many previous discussion threads about the Albin boats.

Here is a link to them. Lots of good info in them. Go back several pages on the link list too.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...bin&gsc.page=1

Here is a link to another list, on another site, which may help you with photos and specifications on Albin boats. Good resource.
Sailboatdata.com, Sailboat List, Sailboat search, Sailboat builders, Sailboat Links

Good luck on your decision on which boat to buy.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 00:44   #4
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31

Hi Steadman,

Yes, thanks for that. I had previously read into these boats a bit on the forum. However I wonder if the Contrast 33 and Albin Nova suffers from the same mast step problems as the older Ballads do?
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
Hi Steadman,

Yes, thanks for that. I had previously read into these boats a bit on the forum. However I wonder if the Contrast 33 and Albin Nova suffers from the same mast step problems as the older Ballads do?
Hi.
I have not done deep research on those boats, because I am not in the market to buy one. So I don't have more info to answer your concern.

Since you are doing the research, please write a synopsis of what you find, regarding model issues, and send it to me or post in this thread, and I will include it in my notes for the future when people ask.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard