Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: I want to be a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
what's "NFI" mean
No further info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Just yesterday I heard the story about a probably-mid-80's 33' Bertram sportfish that had been on blocks on our marina's storage lot... um... forever, at least in my time here. Apparently the new owner bought it for "nothing" (NFI), had the fuel tanks emptied, maybe tanks cleaned (NFI), and put new fuel in... then replaced "all the hoses" (NFI, but that must have included at least some of the engine-related hoses)... had it launched... and it started right up.

The story is he maybe put about "$5K" (NFI) into it so far, and now has a boat maybe worth about "$20K." Hard to say, but the boat was filthy, and he's been cleaning it and at least parts I can see are beginning to look better, so...

Maybe shows there are deals out there.

In this case, I think it has probably taken an owner going in already possessing knowledge, skill, and apparently time...

-Chris
I just heard more of the story. The boat's earlier owner bought it, repowered with new Cat 3208s, used it maybe one year or two, had some health issues, put the boat into storage status (at least 15 years ago), it's been sitting ever since. New 3208s now had 140 hours at that point.

Deals are out there, I guess. Not easy to fall into one...

-Chris
Old 23-06-2019, 09:44   #47

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
No further info.

I just heard more of the story. The boat's earlier owner bought it, repowered with new Cat 3208s, used it maybe one year or two, had some health issues, put the boat into storage status (at least 15 years ago), it's been sitting ever since. New 3208s now had 140 hours at that point.

Deals are out there, I guess. Not easy to fall into one...

-Chris

That one was sweet, alright. The buyer won the powerball on that one.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:51   #48

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

a boat budget of $10-15 is going to buy you a smallish used sailboat, emphasis on " used" , probably 30' or less....think very basic...very old.....no air conditioning, old engine, old sails, etc.
You won't find a trawler for that price unless it's not running...come to think of it, even it were'nt running....you won't find one...

secondly, being a " liveaboard" puts you in the mix of a different branch of society. It's a mix of the good, bad and the ugly, but from 35 years plus of living abroad it's been mostly " good" with the odd " bad" and " ugly' here and there.
Is $2K a month doable?......lets's start with the basics.
Boat dockage is usually done by the foot, though some marinas charge by the slip....but definitely smaller is better.
I think $5-600/month is a basic minimum to expect for a " smallish" boat....say 35' or less.....plus tax off course and most all marina's charge an " environmental" fee...call it what you want, but, add it to your monthly bill. This is for a "yearly" fee, monthly and daily fees are more.
Marina rates in the Florida Keys are about twice as much as anywhere else.
So, let's say, $650 for slip, tax, etc.....
Now add electric....figure at least $150 for 30 amp service (basic).....more if you have 50 amp service..
So now you are up to $800.
Most marina's require you to have boat insurance to covers the marina as well...
Figure $50 a month.
Now you are at $850.
Not all marinas' provide potable water, so add this your budget.
Say another $50/month...
Now you are at $900.
You have to factor in some boat maintenance, bottom paints, haulout's and stuff that will break and replacement stuff.
At the very least you should "budget" $200/month....and that is a bare bones minimum..
So, now you are up to $1,100.
Here comes the big one....health insurance...you can live without it, off course...or get plans with a high deductible, etc...but I don't see you getting away with anything under $500 a month...especially for a couple..
Ok, so now you are at $1,600.
Factor in a vehicle, gas, insurance, repairs, etc....( assuming the vehicle is paid for)....an easy $200 a month.....
Ok, we are up to $1,800 and we haven't eaten yet.
Even on a budget, figure food at $200 a week for that....$800/month....
oops, now are at $2,600.....
off course, you could choose to live on a mooring ball, but then you have to dinghy in to shore, leave your car on some street, etc...
or you could cruising and eliminate some of the dockage fees, etc...being mindful that " transient" dockage rates are very high should you decide to tie up somewhere..
The B'mas are lovely, but food is generally more expensive as is gas or diesel..and mooring balls profiliate these days...
Off course, a cocktail or two in the evening is another thing....
All in all.....that's a reality check for you....

...I've known people that have sailed around the world on a 24 footer using a truck inner tube is a liferaft...but that is the exception....

...your basic good cruising "old" boat (35-40' ) is going to be north of a $100K without breaking a sweat....figure at least $150K...and then figure another $20K fixing stuff up...

One last thing....you could go to Green Cove Springs or some other " do-it-yourself" yards and peruse the 100's of derelict and abandoned boats there.
You will likely find something to fit your budget, but factor in several months of elbow grease...

And never forget that the definition of boat is a hole in the water in which you throw money.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 05:36   #49

Those figures are way, way out there, or for those with pockets deep enough to have never lived the other side of the "Dream". The question that must be answered first is this: What can you as an individual or couple live with, and most importantly live without.

Once that question is answered then it must be tested in reality. Reality is what lets one continue the "Dream". You see a Dream is only a Dream until you make it a Reality.

Only then can it become a way of life. For me, as an example, I had a slip in Federal Point Yacht Club in Carolina Beach for a few years. Stayed many weeks at a time, many times. Rented it from the owner for $250.00 a month paying him for a year at a time in advance which covered his HOA dues which were $235.00 per month. My electricity was metered, I left my 16k BTU air conditioner on from the moment I arrived until leaving, and I was there at least four days a week. I never paid more than $55.00 per month. For Water, Cablevision, and Internet it was $45.00 more per month. We mostly short hopped to other Marina's in SC, and NC, with a few anchor outs in between, but we were going somewhere cool at least once a month, and party'd on the docks the rest of the time. We always did dinners as a pot luck and had a dozen or so couples providing food, we had several great guitar players and we howled at the moon many a night. We were very close to the Boardwalk by dingy and went there for many meals also. I would say I had a bar on my boat that had at least 25 bottles of quality booze at all times.....we were not known as "Slip 5 Rest-or-rant and Bar" for nothing. We kept the boat in tip top shape for an old girl too. I bought the boat for 16k, spent another $4600 on the initial go through to make sure she was ready to travel, and after that we had a budget of $10,000 per year for everything and we never even got close to busting that. Now, granted, we were mostly dock queens as people call it, but we were ready to go at all times.

The one poster who does not understand why someone would live on a boat or on the water vs on land? WOW! Lets see.......rocking to sleep with the lapping of water on the hull, fishing all day and all night right off my boat or the dock, and catching lots fish doing it. And the people you share these days and nights with! It's a cottage on the water close enough to the beach to hear the waves crashing.......coffee in the mornings on the back deck.......good Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee ordered from the right folks at a price worth every cup.....I'll go on if I need to, but I think you get the picture.......you simply don't get "this" feeling sitting in town at the house. And the house is nice, with a lake for bass fishing, and a pool in the backyard too. It does not matter. I would rather be on that 33 foot boat any day of the week, period. No comparisons.

For ya'll that have the opportunity to cruise full time, I am envious. I want to do that too. But real life says right now, just Dream On........and so we will. But folks, don't be afraid to go live your dreams, even on a lower budget than those with huge boats and even bigger bank accounts. Trust me, one of our good friends, their house sat right there in front of the docks, a 1.5 million dollar beauty, and his boat cost at least a half a million and was stunning. And he usually sat right there behind ol' Trippin' Daisy, eating good food and drinking good toddy's and living life with the rest of us. Who cares who has the mostest and the bestest. What matters is loving life to the fullest!
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 07:45   #50

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

The above is an example of a man with a good attitude. My hat is off to you sir. It's not money, it's making the most of what's available.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 09:48   #51

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the liveaboard lifestyle is not what it once was....

when I first got into the boating thing I was poor as a church mouse. The only way I was going to get my boat was to build it myself...which I did.
" deep pockets" to me meant having $10 in my pocket. I became a master scrounger and if there was a less expensive way to do something I would find it.

I did my own " howling at the moon" many a time. Off course, I was in my 20's then when sex, drugs and alcohol was the rule of the day, but now my " howling at the moon" days have passed.

I'm just telling you that living aboard while anchored has become very difficult to do in Florida due to the many local town and county ordinances.

True, you might be able to score a slip behind someone's house on a canal, but it will be deathly hot there without a/c and it won't take long for someone to start bitching about it and trying to throw you out.

Illegal overboard discharge of poop is what started the whole " anti-anchoring" movement in Florida. Now almost every ICW town has mooring fields or "dinghy" tie up fees,etc, etc, etc...
Marathon in the Keys, for instance has a large " mooring field"....if you are lucky enuff to find an open one. Then expect to pay a monthly mooring fee in addition for the poop guy to come pump out your holding tank...if you have one...in addition to the " dinghy" fee, etc, etc, etc...You could try using a porta-potti, but I doubt your relationship with such device will last longer than a week.

Not trying to blow your bubble. Most people thought I was crazy when I told them I wanted to live on a boat, but against all odds, I managed it.

My dream started back in the early 80's, so I've seen a thing or two.

Many area marina's have been converted to condo's with private marina....ha ha....you have to " buy" the slip.

I defy you to go north and find " free" anchoring spots in Maine, NH, etc.....the gazillion of lobster pots there make anchoring all but impossible, so a mooring ball or marina become your only option.

My experience has been that while many men are willing to accept a few hardship in order to live a " free" life, this same attitude is not shared by a woman. A woman wants a clean and functioning bathroom and a few basic luxuries. True, there are exceptions, but it is rare. Most " singlehanders" are men for a reason!

In a previous past I mentioned Green Cove Springs as a place you could find an " inexpensive" sailboat and place to anchor or tie up.. GCS also hosts a large liveaboard community that are all mostly working on their boat.
I advise and recommend you go there to get a first hand look of what is involved. GCS is probably one of two or three places in Florida where you can still work on your own boat. Talk to some of the people there and have a beer with them in the evening at their local " clubhouse" and you will get a first-hand account of what it's all about.

I love people that chase a dream, but I know what I'm talking about......it took other people's advice, help and guidance to get me thru' countless rough spots...so been dere, dun dat....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 10:12   #52
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Well personally I don't think it is all that hard to liveaboard at anchor in Florida. The biggest challenge really is finding a spot reasonably close in order to dinghy in as most good spots are filled with delick boats.

And I know of at least 4 DIY yards in Fl without thinking too hard. One of which I hate, but would still go to before GCSM (been there on the boat)

Just saying my opinion and not interested in a battle over it.
Old 24-06-2019, 10:37   #53

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

In a reoccuring theme, the OP came in for a day........... proposed ridiculous ideas about living aboard with no money, hasn't been heard from since.

Four days later, you all are still discussing the obvious troll thread.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 03:52   #54

Thanks Davy J, but I already forgot about the OP and fell back hard on my own dreams. Be that what it may, we can come to one conclusion, and that is that some folks think they can live a live aboard life without a fortune, and others think it takes a pretty good bank to do so. I imagine to have enough to do it the way that pleases you personally, is the right answer. I do agree that the girls will require just a bit more lux than some of us guys might!But anyway, I hope that you all are living the dream that "you" want, that is my hope for you all!
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 10:38   #55

Boat: Com-Pac 16/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
But now that I'm 70, hire young gorillas when doing heavy stuff. Is it go-rillas or ger-illas?
Depends on whether they're male or female
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 10:55   #56

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

The above is classic.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 11:36   #57

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ask Captain Ron...

Good thing about this forum is that there aren't a whole lotta "yachties' here.
A classic!

https://youtu.be/QyG0G96UB6k
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:05   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think you donít have the budget and funds. Sorry this isnít what Iím sure you want to hear.

You must be joking.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:06   #59

Boat: TBD

Iím just moving to my liveaboaurd boat this weekend. Iím way behind due to an unexpected emergency 5 day hospital stay. This points to a very real thing about being out on the water. What do you do in an emergency? I could have navigated the river even at night but it would have been painfull. Docking without help at night could have been an issue but I could have simply tied up at the end of the pier. I discussed this with my neighbors. Nothing new there.

Personally Iím not rich....I have retirement income but it is limited. Slip fees are an annual thing so you have to budget this each month. Liveaboards get free pump outs in the summer but hire a company in the winter as a group. I live in Minnesota which is one of the coldest states in the winter. Heat is very important. Most use propane but a diesel boat is preferred. Interestingly few have diesels. Most are various houseboats. I donít want a house boat, I have a cruiser one of two liveaboards here. There is not as much room but itís well laid out for me and my dog.
You definitely need to be ready to fix and repair most everything. Tight spots like the engine room might require help unless you are very fit. If it has ďMarineĒ atteched to it expect to pay a priemium price. Remember what BOAT means: Break Out Another Thousand.

Our marina fees are much less than the ocean side ones. Possibly you could consider the Great Lakes.

My concern would be venturing out in big water with a less than perfectly operational boat. Losing a motor a long way from shore could be dangerous and very expensive.
On the river here it may be a little cheaper but equally dangerous due the barge traffiic. Also there are hundreds of wing dams on both shores that are rock and just below the surface so you donít just pull into shore anywhere.
If you are new to big boating you are going to have to learn navigation and have proper equipment for this. Also an alternate Incase it fails.

Morse to consider.
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:24   #60
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancor01 View Post
You must be joking.
nope!

Tags
liveaboard