Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 05:49   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: I need a liveaboard marina

The airport is on the Bay (east) side of St. Pete. All of the marinas I know are on the Gulf coast and cross town travel is not fast or easy. You might have to decide between Bay side living on the hook making a local arrangement for dinghy and auto parking or a longer commute to the Gulf. As I recall from years ago, there are few live-a-board slips and long waiting lists. Dunedin was very nice but wait was years. You might have to go north to Tarpon Springs or further to find something.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 07:12   #17

Boat: Scout 30

I think the St Pete Municipal Marina is your best option. St Pete has become a vibrant city & you'll be right in the heart of it. The drive to the airport couldn't be much easier, 15 minutes most of the time & not too much more at rush hour. Once the new pier is completed this may well be the best location in all of Florida.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 07:38   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
The airport is on the Bay (east) side of St. Pete. All of the marinas I know are on the Gulf coast and cross town travel is not fast or easy. You might have to decide between Bay side living on the hook making a local arrangement for dinghy and auto parking or a longer commute to the Gulf. As I recall from years ago, there are few live-a-board slips and long waiting lists. Dunedin was very nice but wait was years. You might have to go north to Tarpon Springs or further to find something.
I can name several marinas off the top of my head that are located on the St Pete side of the ICW including the St Pete Municipal Marina, Harborage Marina, Pasadena Marina, Oneil's Marina, Gulfport Municipal Marina and Loggerhead Marina. All of these are close to I 275 which drops you on Ulmerton just a couple of miles from the airport. This actually is a fast, easy drive.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 18:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Regatta point and twin dolphin marinas are south on the manatee river. They allow liveabourd but are at least a 45 minute drive. In downtown st pete the municipal Marina is great but usually has an extended waiting list. Maximo Marina off Boca Ciega bay is being renovated to cater to large yachts now owned by IGY. Gulfport municipal Marina is reasonable and about a 25 min drive from Clearwater airport. One small Marina nestled behind the Wendy's off Pasadena ave is Pasadena Marina. Really a nice place , not a party place, quiet safe nice pool and showers. Really friendly liveabourd community there. 25 to 30 min to Clearwater airport. I just left there, nothing but good things to say.
Home | Pasadena Marina St Petersburg Florida
Anything up by Clearwater beach will be a longer drive and I don't know about liveabourd.
Good luck
Thank you for the help
bwollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 19:16   #20

The airport is right off the bridge. Anything Davis Island or Tampa bay will be a faster drive than clearwater beach
parrotsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 20:33   #21

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Tampa is great as long as you never need to cross the Howard Franklin bridge during rush hour.
Old 16-04-2017, 12:08   #22

Boat: Westerly, Corsair, 36

Regatta Point and the marina across the river in Bradenton are both liveaboard marinas. Because of wait lists it's good to try to get your slip off season, in the summer. Some non liveaboard marinas don't mind, so if there's one you like walk the docks to see what the situation is. You might run into people who are living there. I found that out when I got towed into a marina that I had previously checked out. Lots of cars in the lot, every night. I was surprised.
Kismet36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard