Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 18:35   #181

Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Don it's been great following your story and your steadfast determination has been inspiring. I look forward to reading the next leg of your journey as well as what transpires in between.
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 18:56   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I had a beautiful sail down the Waccamaw River today from Osprey to Georgetown. Deep water all the way, wide channels, nice gentle passage. A bit diecy getting into the channel for Georgetown, but I made it.

Then I looked at the rest of the journey. The channels get narrower, the depths get shallower, and my nerves are shot. I have fretted over this all day and could only come to one conclusion, I am going back to Myrtle Beach and will spend the rest of the year there. I am going to take a few more sailing courses, get some more experience, and settle my nerves. I will first stop at Osprey Marina for a week or two then go back up through the Rock Pile to a marina that is more "in town" than Osprey. Osprey is a great marina but it is too far out in the sticks for someone without a car. I can also beat their price and get better amenities, like a pool. Maybe by the middle of summer I will have the experience to sail to Florida direct. Well I can sleep peacefully tonight knowing that I will have a better trip tomorrow than I thought I would. I am sorry to disappoint those following this trip with a quick end, but I really don't think I can do the next part. If you don't have confidence you are 3/4 of the way to failure. And failure on this route could cost lots of money.

Another thing, I am 1 month into this journey an I am barely 1/2 way there. I expected to be at least in Savannah by now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up the boat, just the passage through lower S. Carolina and Georgia (I hear Georgia is worse.) But I will get to Florida eventually.
I doubt that anyone is disappointed Don. I'm sure everyone wants you to make the choice that is right for you. Going slow is what it's about anyway.

You might consider Patty's suggestion. Having another hand can really make a difference. You don't have to make all the decisions, you have an extra pair of eyes and maybe you could find someone who has done that stretch before.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:13   #183

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I had a beautiful sail down the Waccamaw River today from Osprey to Georgetown. Deep water all the way, wide channels, nice gentle passage. A bit diecy getting into the channel for Georgetown, but I made it.

Then I looked at the rest of the journey. The channels get narrower, the depths get shallower, and my nerves are shot. I have fretted over this all day and could only come to one conclusion, I am going back to Myrtle Beach and will spend the rest of the year there. I am going to take a few more sailing courses, get some more experience, and settle my nerves. I will first stop at Osprey Marina for a week or two then go back up through the Rock Pile to a marina that is more "in town" than Osprey. Osprey is a great marina but it is too far out in the sticks for someone without a car. I can also beat their price and get better amenities, like a pool. Maybe by the middle of summer I will have the experience to sail to Florida direct. Well I can sleep peacefully tonight knowing that I will have a better trip tomorrow than I thought I would. I am sorry to disappoint those following this trip with a quick end, but I really don't think I can do the next part. If you don't have confidence you are 3/4 of the way to failure. And failure on this route could cost lots of money.

Another thing, I am 1 month into this journey an I am barely 1/2 way there. I expected to be at least in Savannah by now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up the boat, just the passage through lower S. Carolina and Georgia (I hear Georgia is worse.) But I will get to Florida eventually.
Followed you right from day one, and you have made the correct decision every step of the way in my opinion.

If you're not comfortable, don't go ahead...do what you need to do to get comfortable..and then carry on! I like the way you are making it happen Don.

Next summer, or WHENEVER you feel comfortable, maybe Patty has a good idea, and have an extra set of eyes and hands for the next leg of the voyage...good for the soul!

I have envied you right from the start, and I STILL DO! (not shouting, just making my point<grin>)

Enjoy the pool, the poolside bar, and take the time to check out every inch of your boat now that you really have the time on your hands!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:32   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Singlehanding is a lot of work, specially in narrow channels. Its actually easier away from land and all the hard stuff. Seems like your being wise. It helps also to have time piloting the boat enough so you know what it does in different currents, tides, winds, etc. Takes time to trust yourself and trust the boat.

ALL in all sounds like your having a good adventure. No disappointments here. after all its not a race...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 21:05   #185

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

You are right, Patty, I need a crew.

I have met a few of the nicest people I could ever want to meet on this trip. Tim and Andria (And their baby son!), Jerry and Jeff from Wyld Ride to name just a few. I have been corresponding with Jeff and he will be back again on a delivery so he will get his experience. This month has been a fantastic time and I will have it forever. Anyway, Thank you all for your support.
Old 21-01-2012, 16:48   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500
I am 1 month into this journey an I am barely 1/2 way there. I expected to be at least in Savannah by now.
I think a slower pace will let you discover the area around the river. One of my favorite things is to stop,smell the & enjoy what the area has to offer. You never know what you may find. Hopefully in town there are places to visit,local cuisine to try, & people to converse with over your favorite beverage. You mayl be he highlight of their day/week/etc -depending how many boats come by & sit a spell! Hope you have a great time until YOU are ready to continue.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 15:13   #187

I have met many more people on this trip, and I liked Myrtle Beach so much I stayed for all of February, and will stay till the end of March. Then I plan to go back up to the Chesapeake and spend the summer really sailing, singlehanded and with a crew. I want to try for Florida a bit earlier next year and hopefully with a crew, and also outside.

My mad rush this season wore me out more that I really knew. I was stuck with a bad feeling, loved the boat, started to hate motor sailing down the ICW. Going back up I will be visiting places I have been and have fond memories of. Like the Pongo - Alligator River Canal, Oriental, and Coinjock.

I would not mind having someone sail back to Hampton with me, so if you are looking for a ride leave me a message. I depart April 1st from North Myrtle Beach, ICW all the way.
Old 11-03-2012, 15:20   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Don, I feel like your cruising partner, following your trek on more than one forum. We are northbound until mid summer in Maine. We'll likely come across you on the water. 'looking for Kayleo....
Old 11-03-2012, 15:55   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Don, I feel like your cruising partner, following your trek on more than one forum. We are northbound until mid summer in Maine. We'll likely come across you on the water. 'looking for Kaleo....
That's great!, Where are you now? As I have said I am in NMB.
Old 11-03-2012, 16:43   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We'll be in Daytona tomorrow and in Maine July 4th. As for the extrapolation of all the space between and the velocity made good, we don't have a clue! ....and sometimes we don't end up where we expected to be!
Old 11-03-2012, 18:00   #191

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic
Don, I'm in Long Key, FL and hope to be home in Jamestown, RI before the end of June, so will also keep an eye out for you as I slide North. Be good.
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 17:18   #192

I'm coming back to Hampton, Va. Yesterday morning I was in Belhaven, NC, and took off for points north. I got caught in a blow, 25-30knts in my face, used twice as much fuel as I planned and almost ran out. Had to anchor on the Alligator river and wait for the tow company (BoatsUS) to bring me 10 gal. Spent the night on the hook in the River. In the AM I started up the river and across the Albemarle Sound. Again 25-30 Knots of wind in my face, 3-5 ft seas from every direction, got the crap beat out of me but I made it to Coinjock. Tomorrow they say there will be 5-10 mph winds and 1 ft seas on the Back Bay, a 15 mile crossing. We'll see. This will be the last open water crossing until the Chesapeake.
Old 12-04-2012, 18:56   #193

Boat: Beneteau 393

Eat that prime rib, Don! It is good for the soul. We caught some crappy weather a week ago between Coinjock and Pungo. Safe and happy travels- lots of good places to hang out for a day or three once you get away from Coinjock and the $$ needed to stay in the marina.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 04:19   #194

Getting set to head back south. I have had enough of the cold up here in the Artic (Hampton, Va). I was going to go north but there is no place I have a hankering to see up there. I want heat, clear water, the sun, sand bottom, and more heat. Looks like I will be casting off by the end of the week.
Old 21-05-2012, 06:49   #195

Nice to hear you are heading south. I would love to hear of your trip. Are you still going ICW or outside? I've always wanted to see the ICW so this may be it-vicariously. I'm on the West coast so it's a long trip unless I do like you did & sell my boat here. Have a wonderful trip and hope you find he heat and clear waters. Gloria
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle