Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2015, 01:32   #16

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Hull cleaning help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha just don't use detergents and acids at the same time! I wondered why nothing happened when I was scrubbing grime and rust stains of a 100 foot brigantine. The gang working in the bow of the dinghy ahead of us in the stern was using an alkaline detergent, and we were using phosphoric acid. Both were nicely neutralised by each other...

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ha! No, I rinsed well between each product. I just resorted to adding the lemon juice to the baking soda hoping in vain that the foaming action would help.

Hand cleaner, alcohol, and toilet bowl cleaner...at least I have new list.

The only other thing that has occurred to me is to put the boat in the slip backwards after this week's pump out, to let it get some daily sunshine in that area. Unfortunately, my husband has a pinched nerve and I already kicked out of his home once to take it sailing, I don't think he is going to sanction that again without our overall standing in the racing series at stake.
Old 25-11-2015, 11:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Like, dishsoap? I thought the degreaser was shoo in if it was oil, but I am willing to try something new. It certainly needs waxed after all this scrubbing, but I would like to actually get the stains off, first.
Yes, I prefer Joy for salt water. Laundry soap is even stronger.. many have TSP in them, but not the Eco Friendly ones.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 11:56   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Cheap toothpaste like Pepsodent works great for this. Also works really well for removing grease, oil, and black smudges from diesel exhaust. It is also pretty much harmless to gelcoat and the environment.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 21:03   #19

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Unfortunately, I don't have cheap toothpaste on hand. I wonder if I should try the Crest tomorrow?

Hand cleaner (which is alcohol) and It Works toilet bowl cleaner were also failures.

I may just have to come to terms with one quarter of the boat being brown spotted.
Old 27-11-2015, 15:09   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Greenhand,

Not regular hand cleaner--try waterless hand cleaner. You'd wipe it on, let it set a minute or two and then rub like all get out. If it is a grease, oil, or tar stain, that should take it off. Then flush with fresh water. You could also try diesel fuel and a rag. Or acetone.

Good luck with it.

Tags
cleaning, hull