Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 16:31   #1

Howdy !

Hello everyone,

My name is Kyle, I am a 26 year old male who loves the ocean. I am not much of a forum kind of man but I have found myself returning to this forum over and over again. I just spent the last hour or so I would say reading about Don1500 getting his dream boat! AWESOME! I am a US Navy vet and current engineering student at Ohio State. To me there is just something about walking topside and looking at an ocean with no sight of land, birds of other humans. It is peaceful, beautiful, and just breath taking (as most on here probably know). When I was in the Navy I always loved pulling into a port but there was just something about leaving that made me feel good, even when that port was Virginia.
I have an idea that my be a little off the wall but I wanted to throw it out there for two reasons; 1) See if there are people interested 2) advice.
I would like to find 3-4 like minded people to buy a sailboat with, sail it around were ever we want as long as we want. The thought is 3 years a least
, maybe more and if some one did not want to keep on the trip we could buy their share. Of course there is a lot more details to figure out but no point in going further with that thought if people are not interested.
I am a creative person who thinks none stop about how to improve flaws in everything. I would love to find someone with that kind of compassion for creation. When out to sea there is nothing but time. Slow and steady wins almost every time. So it would be great to brainstorm ideas off of another creative forward looking person (maybe even earn money). I also enjoy fish, diving, swimming, hiking, and giving a helping hand. Every port I stopped in I volunteered with whatever local stuff I could. Not only did I find that It was a great way to really see a place and culture but one of the greatest ways to meet new people. This would be about a year and a half away so I will be completely done with my degree, it also gives time save, plan and learn. CHEERS
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:20   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Hi Kmart,

Welcome aboard the good ship Charlie-Foxtrot.

Hope you manage to meet the peeps you're seeking!
Old 21-03-2012, 05:45   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat
Re: Howdy!

Hi Kmart, am welcoming you as I was welcomed recently!

Now you have made your decision as to what you want to do I am sure you will achieve it. However, once you have lived aboard you may well not want to return to land.....my plan was just for a two-year trip, UK to Caribbean and back and that was 10 years ago. I never went back sand am still happy being a grotty yachtie, as some people call us liveaboards!

Keep the faith and keep on track!
GypsyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 05:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF. Kyle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 06:14   #5

Hi there, and welcome! I am also new, and happen to be in Virginia, which you mentioned! And yes, there are some beautiful places to 'pull away from' here :-)

I think your idea is fantastic, will (and should) probably take a while to find the right mix of crew to pull it off, but if you (when) you do, would be great to have a blog or fb, etc to post pics and how the journey goes!
Laffangurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 11:42   #6

Thank you all! I just got back from Peru, hiked the inca trail to Machu Picchu! It was AMAZING! I suggest it to anyone who loves to hike and learning more about older cultures! I have a blue print set up to have my own sail boat by this time next year, as long as I don't get hit by a bus I will be in the water by the time I am out of school! After, lots of thinking on how I want to go about sailing, I have figured I would like to have my own boat and let people join me as I go! I will be making a facebook account of my adventures, and hopefully that will include my sailing very soon.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote