Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 07:47   #61

Re: How much is enough.....$$$$

I would like to thank everyone that offered a response. Judging from the number of views, this subject is one in which people are interested. Most likely because it can only be answered by the individual.

I think most people looking into the cruising life (myself included) are looking for that last bit of motivation to cut the lines and go. Kind of like the baby bird perched on a branch wondering if it's wings are strong enough. Money is the safety net, at least that is what our American culture has pounded into us. Maybe that's the point, that this is different. It's not about the money, the safety net. It's about a different life.

Again thank you.
Timeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 15:11   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeguy View Post
I think most people looking into the cruising life (myself included) are looking for that last bit of motivation to cut the lines and go. Kind of like the baby bird perched on a branch wondering if it's wings are strong enough. ................
This implies that all rests upon one giant leap and I don't think that's the case. It must be said that, even though I've been living aboard and cruising for 44 years, I'm lacking some experience. I've never had a house or accumulated more than would fit in a small car, but even if you start from a large house with many burdens, there does not need to be a huge leap to the move aboard or begin cruising.

I think these would be the "baby" steps:

1- Shed the excess possessions and sell the house.
2- Rent a small trailer or apartment
3- While living "small" shop for the boat.
4- Move to the boat while keeping a slip at a suitable live-aboard friendly marina.
5- Take short weekend and holiday cruises becoming proficient with the boat.
6- Make those improvements that will be needed for longer cruising.

(All these steps 1-6 can be completed while still employed and saving money)

7- Take that next step to full time cruising which at this point would not be much of a leap!
Old 30-01-2016, 15:24   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
BY the way ours will be going up this year. We have to haul and paint and after last years shoulder surgery in my left shoulder and earlier surgery on my right shoulder it gets very difficult to keep my arms working hard especially out in front or above me so will have to get someone to help or do it -- what happens when you have those kind of issues -
Sounds like a bum rotator cuff? I had a BAD case about 15 years ago. I refused surgery. I found a book called "the 15 minute rotator cuff solution" (I think it was 15, maybe 7?). I was unable to touch the back pocket with my hand, let alone work overhead.

In short it solved my issues. Took a long time but it calls for a lot of very high rep/low weight exercises. I didn't like the way they suggested doing it so I contrived an alternative that worked for me and did the same thing.

Now once in a while I get a few twinges but a wee bit of exercise keeps me going.

Changed my life.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 15:32   #64

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
This implies that all rests upon one giant leap and I don't think that's the case.
Agreed - the financial side isn't a great leap into the unknown.

The leap, I think, is giving up all that you know and have for something you *think* you'll love. But you don't *know* what it'll be like, so it's a scary thing to do. There are so many 'what if's' for which you have to give up most, if not all, "certainties" you (think you) have on land ...

As far as the budget goes, I personally believe all you have to do, really, is look at your spending habits now.
People don't change suddenly cos they're out on a boat. If you like city trips, restaurants etc. now, you'll want that while sailing too.
If you're happy with very little now, you'll be happy with very little while sailing.

If you only want to go when you have a fairly large boat with all the bells and whistles, you know you're not a low budget cruiser and you'll need a cruising kitty to match. If you don't mind going on a small, basic boat, you can leave with a much smaller cruising kitty.

TL;DR: people focus on the money most, I think, while that's actually one of the few "know factors". The harder part is cutting the lines - literally and figuratively, and saying goodbye to all you know for 'the great unknown'.
Old 30-01-2016, 15:35   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
This implies that all rests upon one giant leap and I don't think that's the case. It must be said that, even though I've been living aboard and cruising for 44 years, I'm lacking some experience. I've never had a house or accumulated more than would fit in a small car, but even if you start from a large house with many burdens, there does not need to be a huge leap to the move aboard or begin cruising.

4- Move to the boat while keeping a slip at a suitable live-aboard friendly marina.

7- Take that next step to full time cruising which at this point would not be much of a leap!
We did a version of this.

1-I started working part time, 36 hours a week, accumulating vacation time to sail more
2-Bought our big boat
3-Down to 24 hours per week, working on boat and other stuff in interim.
Wife decreased hours also. We spend 5 days every other week on the boat. All year.
4-Wife moved her business into our apartment, forcing us to live in a 1br/1bath space.
5-Upgraded boat (and refit small boat) while getting used to living there. Got comfortable with being boat bums.
6- Retired 2 weeks go, fixing up apt and throwing stuff out.
7-moving aboard March 1 or shortly thereafter and casting off.

The one thing I think you missed, or that I would like to stress more, is the transition from full time work to retirement, or sailing. For at least some, if not most, making the transition away from work is stressful and frightening. It is often best to make it a more gradual change if possible.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 22:24   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
The one thing I think you missed, or that I would like to stress more, is the transition from full time work to retirement, or sailing. For at least some, if not most, making the transition away from work is stressful and frightening. It is often best to make it a more gradual change if possible.
You're right, I didn't think of this at all and it's a great way to take another smaller step!
Old 31-01-2016, 02:10   #67

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Sounds like a bum rotator cuff? I had a BAD case about 15 years ago. I refused surgery. I found a book called "the 15 minute rotator cuff solution" (I think it was 15, maybe 7?). I was unable to touch the back pocket with my hand, let alone work overhead.

In short it solved my issues. Took a long time but it calls for a lot of very high rep/low weight exercises. I didn't like the way they suggested doing it so I contrived an alternative that worked for me and did the same thing.

Now once in a while I get a few twinges but a wee bit of exercise keeps me going.

Changed my life.
Not a rotor cuff - I wish - right one was thought to be a rotor until they got inside and found a torn ligament and excessive bone growth on the collar bone and into the shoulder blade and did a lot shall we say trimming and sanding and 2 screws

On the left shoulder was a torn ligament last year while changing out my anchor chain while in the water and reaching over and hauling the big delta and a lot of chain on a dead pull up and over the railing with one hand while leaning over the boat and holding on with the other. 2 screws fixed it

but thanks for the thought I will look at it -- I just need to build a lot of strength and flexibility into both shoulders and at 70yo it does not heal as quickly as when I was younger --

But hey I am still out here sailing and putting a bunch of miles under the keel and doing a lot of the work myself -- some place along the way I learned that somedays my physical abilities and mental attitude are not on the same page and as much as I want to I find can't - but I do not stress about it -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:48   #68

Boat: a sailing boat

I think the 'steps' vs. 'leaps' mentality it just reflects how different people will react in the same situation: remember the old fashioned distribution into flegmatic / sanguine / choleric ;-)

We can't expect a hare to act as if it were a lion, nor otherwise. Likely both proponents of the radical and of the evolutionary are right.

Find your style. Know thyself ... and carpe diem.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 09:00   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How much is enough.....$$$$

Quote:

We are doing this, except a little out of order. We have sold the house, but already have the boat, still shedding stuff. Harder than I thought it would be, not emotionally, just difficult to sell stuff.
I told the Boss last week that starting this year I plan to spend more time with the Family, I have not told him of my retirement plans, don't burn bridges, sometimes life happens.
We have been doing step 5 and 6 for two years now, step 4 happens the day after our youngest graduates from High School, also when the wife and I retire.
I agree with your steps though, easier than just diving in

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 21:05   #70

Here's an article that may offer some perspective: How Much Will Cruising Cost You?, by Beth Leonard who knows what she is talking about (I'm sure forum member Evans Starzinger can corroborate!). While it's now a bit dated - ten years old - apparently a 2006 US$ is now worth about US$1.20 so if you multiply the amounts she cites by 120% you should have an approximate idea of the current costs for each of the three cruising style examples ("simplicity", "moderation", "highlife").

Quote:
I would get a copy of Voyaging on a Small Income by Annie Hill and give that a read. It's a good resource for folks living on the cheap, and inspirational.
A good read. I would also recommend a couple of the Pardey's books to anyone interested in low-budget cruising: Self Sufficient Sailor (1997) and The Cost Conscious Cruiser: Champagne Cruising on a Beer Budget (1999). And Don Casey's Sensible Cruising - The Thoreau Approach: A Philosophic and Practical Approach to Cruising (1990) also has some useful tips and suggestions.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 15:37   #71

Boat: Currently boatless

I've been keeping a list of published cost of cruising for various boats. Right now there are more than 40 boats on the list. It can give you a sense of the range out there:

The Cost of Cruising | Team Giddyup

If anyone knows any published-on-line costs not on the list, I would love to add them.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 00:18   #72

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I've been keeping a list of published cost of cruising for various boats. Right now there are more than 40 boats on the list. It can give you a sense of the range out there:

The Cost of Cruising | Team Giddyup

If anyone knows any published-on-line costs not on the list, I would love to add them.

did you see ours in the dollars and cents area of this forum? 8 years of cost data
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:21   #73

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
did you see ours in the dollars and cents area of this forum? 8 years of cost data
You are already on the list (or do I have your boat name wrong? SoulMates?)! Thanks.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote