Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 15:45   #31

Re: How much is enough.....$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Welcome to CF!

Ima go with a minimum of $750 a month x 12 = $ 9,000
$ 9,000 x several = total cruising budget
Total cruising budget + some left = answer to your question.

(Based on one person, not sure what exact boat, no clue as to locations or duration or anything else to base any kind of answer on. And based on you being *very* frugal since your boat will eat most of this budget.)

Yes, this reply is useless, but I thought I'd humor you since this is your first post
I don't think it's useless, I think it's a very good starting point.

Everything depends on not being in debt, and then staying out of debt. Then it's down to practice, and learning how to supplement income. If you can catch fish, and like eating fish, this will help enormously of course. Reminds me, I must get a good fish identifying book for the Caribbean.

With going through everything before casting off, I'll be starting off basically sound with the boat (though something always shows up), so I'm budgeting to start with $500 a month put by in the boat maintenance and upgrade kitty. So the boat doesn't deteriorate, it steadily improves over time. If I am not quite keeping up, then I'll increase it. If I am easily keeping up, then a surplus will go into the new engine fund (not expensive bought direct from China, just a bit of a wait).

As a 3 month cruising and fishing license in Bahamas is $300, I'll try and go in once to pay them, and go back in again near the end to provision up and clear out.

If I manage that, I'll reward myself with a nice meal ashore before leaving.

$100 a month for mooring isn't too bad. Other places are free, so it evens out even better. For me though, it will be an ideal start for the boat and me to get used to each other, plus apply some TLC to the bright work and cleaning and polishing, and give the sewing machine a hammering (there's going to end up being zigzag stitches in everything, probably including me). I'm not in any rush, other than to be South of the hurricane belt by June 1st.

PS Boat size is important, I know I can be happy and comfortable on a 32ft boat (less really, a 32ft is a bonus without going nuts on 'too big'. It's also why I am budgeting for 7 Coppercoat antifouling kits for it, and a pack of plastic scrubbers to clean it off regularly. Shouldn't have to haul out for about 8 to 12 years then - a BIG saving every year.

Also, I read an interesting insight somewhere yesterday. In a survey of long term cruisers, whatever size boat they started with, the vast majority downsized with their next boat. So odds are you need to think of a smaller boat than you first intended. Don't buy a boat for guests and entertaining, buy a boat for what 'you' need.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 16:24   #32

If you both turn saving money into an Olympic level, highly enjoyable Sport, you will do fine. Boat maintenance costs will be the same for both of you remember, though you can have extra costs for things like visitor permits.

To make the most of that, a 32ft boat actually will serve me better than a 28ft. I will have the space extra to store more water, and if useful stuff shows (say like a big discount offer on engine oil and filters for example) then I will have the room for them.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 18:56   #33

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Interesting stuff guys. Thanks for the thinks & tips!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 19:29   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Also, I read an interesting insight somewhere yesterday. In a survey of long term cruisers, whatever size boat they started with, the vast majority downsized with their next boat.
Dunno where that survey was made, but does not agree with what I have observed over our nearly 30 years of cruising, where we hung out with a lot of long-term cruisers (which I call "lifers"). I can only think of one such case, and there the folks involved stopped full time cruising (after a RTW ++) and moved ashore, wanted a boat to do WAGS racing and local weekending.

Jim
Old 26-01-2016, 19:49   #35

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Muckle, thanks for sharing your stories of these sailors. Thanks for taking the effort to illustrate there are so many ways to go about one's business.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 20:02   #36
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Reminds me of the joke...

Two old friends Bill and Frank were sitting in rocking chairs on a front porch...

Bill: So where were you yesterday afternoon.

Frank: Oh, I went to the doctor.

Bill: Why?

Frank: Had some kind of bug.

Bill: Did he find out what you had?

Frank: Almost, I walked in with $200 and he charged me $150.

Waw, waw, waw!
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 20:03   #37

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

One other thing comes to mind...everyone's personality differs. For example, the way I am wired. I love to sample the local foods and cultural sites. When in Cancun I wanted to see the Mayan ruins. So, you have to get on a tour or hop a bus. So depending on what things "get you off" you should factor in also. If you were cruising the Med...would you not go to Florence to see the fabulous art treasures there? When in Greece..would you not go Athen's National Museum at the base of the Acropolis? Talk about one of the best museums on this planet...I can't imagine not spending the cash to witness these historical national and world treasures. I digress
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 20:56   #38

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Muckle, thanks for sharing your stories of these sailors. Thanks for taking the effort to illustrate there are so many ways to go about one's business.
Hi Alan,

You are most welcome, and I appreciate the thanks!

Aye,

Steven
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 00:03   #39

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I gave up counting the cents, the $, the '000s.... too stressful, and purposeless..

In the end, boat has forcing needs... and what is big and can be waived (anti-fouling, new sails..) is being postponed to the next season.

But, YES!, Indulge in all little add ons in the 50-200EUR bracket

Also, a couple of things I thought being a MUST, or a NECESSITY, do not look alike anymore..

1... repainting the hull!? OMG, never in my life, aged pale blue is sooo chic!
2... bowsprit and 9000EUR code0 !? Please, better lay the anchor if wind is F1-2
3... a large Genoa!? The most stupid sail ever, that one sail-makers pretend to sell you at ANY COST, just because it is cool lol to have a laaarge sail!? Please.......no way for me...jib+staysail is enough
4... outboard engine!? Not yet, ..maybe....not!..never..
5... new teak deck!? No no no!

Please note, I pretend to live in "luxury", although I (try to) avoid marinas, women in need, alcohol and tobacco.
But, I have antique-dealers working on my boat..(300/1000 EUR items) for extra features of my own design, same for steel items of use....all around, etc....

Just avoid market-driven necessities and develop YOUR STYLE IN NAVIGATIONAL GEAR, AND LIVEABOARD NEEDS.

Sailing is a way to develop your own understanding and priorities, FUN is much into these details, not into those promos, ads, sale offs that civilized people live in full time.

"If you ask how much it costs, you can't afford it" (any luxury item)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 00:49   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
spend some time in the dollars and cents area of this forum --

we put 6 years of cost data -- I mean everything we spend from a pencil to flights to see family to food bought while visiting family -- our totally yearly expenses

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-141717.html
BY the way ours will be going up this year. We have to haul and paint and after last years shoulder surgery in my left shoulder and earlier surgery on my right shoulder it gets very difficult to keep my arms working hard especially out in front or above me so will have to get someone to help or do it -- what happens when you have those kind of issues -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 11:54   #41

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayrbelhaven View Post
"take two at low eight" ummmm what's that translate to for a new sailor? a REALLY new sailor . . . JHL
Has nothing to do with sailing.

I have another expensive hobby. And in that hobby the phrase "take two at low eight" translates in sailing lingo to "fair winds and following seas".
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:56   #42

What great info.. Thanks to everyone that responded. I guess I left it vague enough to get a wide variety of answers, which is what I needed.

Some additional info about ourselves. (not that anyone asked)

I sailed as a marine engineer on cargo/tankers all over the world. I've made more Atlantic/pacific crossings than I can count. I learned to sail as kid and sailed small craft all thru high school and college. I have always told my wife that if I ever talked about buying a boat she should hit me in the head with a 2x4. I know what it is to properly maintain a ship. It was my job for along time.

Something snapped and at the age of 55 I wanted to start living a life again. The kids were out of college, house was paid off. My wife was well ahead of me in this regard and was anxious for me to catch up. I bought a very basic Catalina 30 from the original owner. It was an old boat, nothing fancy, great shape and real cheap. I called it a throw away boat.
I used that to sail around the Great Lakes. First year just around the islands. Second year week long trips around Lake Eriie. Third year, up to Huron, Michigan, Superior exploring the bays of Canada. Mostly 1-2 weeks. 4th year one trip for a month.

I now have a Morgan OI 41. An old boat but now in great shape. It's been worked over very well. We'll do a little coastal cruising as we cut the last entanglements and figure out "the plan".

Everyone's input was very helpful.

Ps. My wife and I have worked together for 30 yrs. w spend almost 24hrs a day together. She's up for just about knuckle head idea I've ever come up with, so this is not a problem.
Timeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 14:03   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Timeguy, this last post makes a big difference in how I regard your chances of becoming a long term cruiser! To me, it sounds like you have a great background personally, enough sailing experience that it is a non-issue, and a great wife to keep you on the path (ain't we lucky?).

So, I reckon you will make do with whatever funds you have, and you will enjoy doing it.

Good cruising to you (and her).

Jim
Old 27-01-2016, 14:07   #44

Boat: Ohlson 29

Okay, now that "I" has become "we" and the 30' boat a 41' boat, here's the latest edit:

Ima go with a minimum of $1500 a month x 12 = $ 18,000 a year
$ 18,000 x several years = total cruising budget
Total cruising budget + some left = answer to your question.

Once you've posted all the bells and whistles you have on the boat and your planned route, I'll probably end up having to make it a $2k minimum
Old 27-01-2016, 14:21   #45

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Timeguy, this last post makes a big difference in how I regard your chances of becoming a long term cruiser! To me, it sounds like you have a great background personally, enough sailing experience that it is a non-issue, and a great wife to keep you on the path (ain't we lucky?).

So, I reckon you will make do with whatever funds you have, and you will enjoy doing it.

Good cruising to you (and her).

Jim
Yep, a big difference from his OP.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote