Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 17:21   #46

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: How much cash aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Use ATMs and keep few, very few dollars in your pocket or on board.
So what if you have to pay a $4 ATM fee? It's little price compared to some thug with bolt cutters looking at your wife's fingers as he asks you about the $2k he *knows* you have on your boat.
Damn.. My wifes fingers are gonners..

I might be able to offer $40 and a pack of baby wipes! Maybe he would accept our middle son's Pokemon cards.. He has some good cards!

Joking aside.. If you plan properly you can eliminate those fees.. Its not just Canadians! We have American and Europeon friends that don't pay fees either (I dont' know what banks they deal with). In 18 months of cruising we have paid 2... yes 2 withdrawal fees! Our total fee outlay is under $10cdn!

If you are paying fees.. FIND A NEW BANK!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 17:34   #47
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Some like schwab even refund you the fees the ATM's bank charges you.

In most of Asia I found the exchange rate fixed across the board to what the VISA network posted that morning.

There are much better ways via wire transfer but only worth it for thousands at a time, and not at all time convenient.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 17:42   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Some like schwab even refund you the fees the ATM's bank charges you.

In most of Asia I found the exchange rate fixed across the board to what the VISA network posted that morning.

There are much better ways via wire transfer but only worth it for thousands at a time, and not at all time convenient.
Ive not found exchange rates to be an issue anywhere Ive travelled either. They normally give current official rates.

On the street of course, or even in the bank...your gonna get at least a little less...or a lot less.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:01   #49

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

A tad off topic, but related. Traveling for a living I've had on 4 occasions my debit and or credit cards frozen for 'suspicious' activity. In each case, they had to re-issue the cards. Keep in mind, the USPS will not forward those cards. We use a mail forwarder for our 'home address' and they can send the replacements along. In addition, as noted above, we do not keep all cards with us. Jan had her purse stolen in Palm Coast, FL just last week. The three cards in it have to be replaced, but others were safe.

Final note on fraud - every single one of my fraud alerts happened after visiting a restaurant. On-line purchases, no problem. Guy in the back room of the restaurant with a card reader - very common. We do keep some cash onboard, but not much. Just enough for tips, etc.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:20   #50

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

make your ballast out of gold coins
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:32   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
USD 4 at the machine? You kidding or a genuine kid?

What about the FX rate???

Next time you sail back home have a good long look at the withdrawal fee AND the FX fee. Maybe some other fess, who knows.

You call the other guy a THUG? And the guy who takes like 5 to 10% on every your dollar that you pull is who?

Bankers are thugs in Armani ties. And they are actually the worse kind as they do bad things while having it all.

b.
Just remember the line from Woody Guthrie, "Some will rob you with a six-gun, And some with a fountain pen."
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:10   #52

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

A few hundred and at least 2 credit cards (from different bank networks such as Barclays and City Bank) works for me. A few thousand in $20's hidden away could be very useful in an emergency.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:32   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Avoiding Foreign ATM (ABM) Fees
https://gingyandsama.wordpress.com/2...eign-atm-fees/

See also ➥ http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,8093,00.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:56   #54

Boat: 77' hallberg rassy 41

I use a capital one 360 online only bank account. you can use any atm in the world with no foriegn transaction feel, and no out of network atm fee. That adds up.
bstruebing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:56   #55

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
A tad off topic, but related. Traveling for a living I've had on 4 occasions my debit and or credit cards frozen for 'suspicious' activity. In each case, they had to re-issue the cards. Keep in mind, the USPS will not forward those cards. We use a mail forwarder for our 'home address' and they can send the replacements along. In addition, as noted above, we do not keep all cards with us. Jan had her purse stolen in Palm Coast, FL just last week. The three cards in it have to be replaced, but others were safe.

Final note on fraud - every single one of my fraud alerts happened after visiting a restaurant. On-line purchases, no problem. Guy in the back room of the restaurant with a card reader - very common. We do keep some cash onboard, but not much. Just enough for tips, etc.
I try to remember to phone the bank before traveling, to let them know about upcoming unusual activity. Back when I was traveling more frequently, they knew to expect it, but not so much any more. They call your home phone, and if nobody replies in a day or so, they burn your card numbers. Of course, if you notice the account is frozen and call them before the numbers are burned, they can still unlock it.

Here's an odd thing: My business visa was recently compromised with a bunch of air and train fare charges at places in Spain and Portugal - where I used to travel frequently ten years ago. But I'm pretty sure I had a different card number then. Bizarre coincidence, I guess. Or maybe someone is merging different stolen databases.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 13:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstruebing View Post
I use a capital one 360 online only bank account. you can use any atm in the world with no foriegn transaction feel, and no out of network atm fee. That adds up.

And they use the actual exchange rate, not some inflated rate to gouge you!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 17:25   #57

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
When I climbed Mt Everest i was really surprised up at the summit. I knew there woukd be a flag there - its in all the photos... but also theres an ATM!

[emoji4]

Can't top that....[emoji87]

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 18:54   #58

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

I had to give up hiding cash. Too many surprises.

Pleasant ... wad shows up in an unexpected place, unpleasant, when you move it during a wild night.

Telling the wife doesn't help, as her wild nights co-incide.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:09   #59

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
I had to give up hiding cash. Too many surprises.

Pleasant ... wad shows up in an unexpected place, unpleasant, when you move it during a wild night.

Telling the wife doesn't help, as her wild nights co-incide.
Forgot a stash on the boat years ago...guy cleaning the boat found it...he could have kept it and I would have never known, but he gave it to me.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:30   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Forgot a stash on the boat years ago...guy cleaning the boat found it...he could have kept it and I would have never known, but he gave it to me.
When I was a kid we had a garage sale for my grandma's stuff after dementia took it's toll and she had to move to a nursing home. She had piles of books and, after my parents picked the ones they wanted to keep, we sold the rest for 10 cents each. A few days later my mom started reading one of the books they kept and found 3 $20 US bills. We checked the rest, maybe about 2 dozen books, and all had at least 1 $20 bill in it; some had $100. We'd sold at least 100 books at the garage sale to our neighbours and not a single one of them returned any money, though several bragged that they found the money.

Conservatively, we sold at least $2000 US ($3k CAD at the time) for less than $10.
Rudderless is offline   Reply With Quote