Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2012, 06:52   #46

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: How many Liveaboards Actually Sail?

Quote:
I give it up,- you're the man!
Do I detect a note of sarcasm? This is one of those funny Internet discussions where I think most of us basically agree, but we go 'round and 'round as if it is an argument. In any case, I really don't care what someone does with their boat, as long as they enjoy it, it doesn't impact other boaters' pleasure, and it doesn't harm the environment. I know a bunch of folks who spend a lot of time onboard but rarely go anywhere--they just like being on the water. What's wrong with that? I think there's another large group that just likes to own a boat, even if they rarely get to use it. What's wrong with that? Earlier in the thread I tried to point out that to me the term "liveaboard" implies someone who is using the boat mainly as a place to live, and only secondarily as a boat, so naturally they probably don't go boating very much. Again, what's wrong with that? The answer is nothing, as far as I am concerned.
Old 16-12-2012, 07:32   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
................... If someone calls themselves a liveaboard they think of their boat................ A cruiser thinks of the boat...............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Do I detect a note of sarcasm? This is one of those funny Internet discussions where I think most of us basically agree, but we go 'round and 'round as if it is an argument...........
Yes, I confess to the sarcasm. ....and I do think that we are in agreement. I always try to remain positive and not be trapped into sour thoughts by semantics and phrasing; however, I succumbed to your telling me and others how we think. I doubt if you were really proposing that you had the knowledge of how others define themselves, but this presents a very common event on internet forums where people, without the moment's question, response and non-verbal communications avoid these interpretations. Here, I fell into the same trap from which I so often try to drag people to safety. So, you're right, we do agree and there are many boats and people not sailing. ....and there are liveaboards like Wing n Wing and ourselves that are avid cruisers.
Old 16-12-2012, 08:25   #48

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Yes, I confess to the sarcasm. ....and I do think that we are in agreement. I always try to remain positive and not be trapped into sour thoughts by semantics and phrasing;
Yes, if we were sharing a sundowner in an anchorage someplace, talking face to face, I think we'd know better what the other person meant. It is hard to judge the cut of someone's jib from the words they type in an Internet forum. It sounds like you are doing a lot more sailing than most of us on here typing! Cheers.
Old 16-12-2012, 08:27   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I do. Sailed from Annapolis-Newport R.I. last year, planning a week on the Chesapeake this summer. Will sail on Christmas Day this year (fourth-annual xmas sail). Been living aboard for 6 years now.
Old 16-12-2012, 08:37   #50

Boat: Beneteau 393

We have lived aboard for about 3 1/2 years now, and just past the 4,000nm point on our trip back from the Annapolis lighted boat parade last weekend. However, there was a good 9-month stretch were we did no sailing as the wife was on deployment. So I'd say we average about 1,500 nm/year. All sailing done on weekends and vacations as we both still work (6 more years to go until we our cut lines for good).

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 09:05   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

To me one of the biggest enjoyment is seeing new places. I have not spent more than few days in a marina in the last five years ( although some time hauled out redoing anti fouling etc).
I tend to move slowly with perhaps a week at new anchoragage. Swimming in a new spot, a new restraunt, new sights, new towns, new cultures, a new walk. Then on to somewhere different.
If its really nice a couple of weeks is not unusual, but then I want to see what is around the corner, and to experience a new sunset.

There are times of the year when bad weather limits the anchorages. This is a time to catch up with maintenance, friends, and receive mail.

There are all sorts of successful formulas for cruising. With no ideal answer for everyone. Marina living, or tied to warf, is like a caravan park which I hate, but that's my perspective and many feel different.

Workout what you enjoy and live that dream.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 18:15   #52

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce

I give it up,- you're the man!
Hahahahahahahahaha.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 18:27   #53

Boat: Hans Christian 33
We do! Ventura to the channel islands, about once every other week.
Old 16-12-2012, 23:47   #54

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
My sailboat was a liveaboard in California being used as a dorm room for a college girl. I don't think the sails were put up in those years, but I could be wrong. That was pre 2000. In 2000 the PO purchased the sailboat, put up the sails, and tried sailing for home, down the coast of California on a calm day, when the SS rigging started to break way. Lucky it was not a windy day. The PO had deep pockets, so he turned around, and at the marina, they hauled her out of the water, and FIXED EVERYTHING, as well as purchased a new trailer. I have the receipts. Burns my eyes reading them.

Then the sailboat went out in the LA area frequently for most of the decade, till he switched banks (banker) and moved to the east coast.

My goal for this season is 100 days on the boat, half of them, or more sailing. Fingers crossed. I work a lot, so we will see if I can start the retirement process.

This image is after they limped back into port, I believe.

This summer is my break out, or give up time. If I can get away from work, to live some on the boat, then I will be ready for 2014 and bigger challenges, and bigger water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	www_yachtauthority_com_00039533_259.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	51324  
Old 17-12-2012, 00:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK, FWIW here's a data point:

We have lived aboard since 1986. During that time we have logged around 130,000 miles. When in harbour mode it takes us a couple of hours to get under way if we are in a hurry.

I have no idea what that proves...

Cheers,

Jim
Getting old maybe......?

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 01:46   #56

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Getting old maybe......?
Yeah, damned if that hasn't happened! But it has been a good ride getting here, and we hope to stumble on for a while.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-12-2012, 07:19   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

My observation after six years of living aboard is that liveaboards (myself included) do not sail as often as they probably thought they would when they moved in. But, much the same could be said for non-liveaboards. How many "harbor queens" can we all name. I have (non-liveboard) boats within spitting distance of my slip that have not moved since long before the day I arrived.
Old 18-12-2012, 09:10   #58

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I've been out sailing. What are we talking about?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 05:48   #59

I lived on my Downeast32 in San Diego and sailed often. I just had it set up so there was not much to stow before heading out to sea. I see most of the liveaboards just do that, live there and don't sail or motor what ever they own. Kinda sad.
sunseeker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 16:05   #60

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah

Another liveaboard checking in here....was on a Whitby 42 all summer. On top of day sailing for my job aboard a gaff schooner, I would take the whitby out on my days off, sometimes single handed and some times entertaining friends. She'd get out 2 to 3 times a month. Also, I managed to make a "destination sail," cruising across the bay to Cape Charles to enjoy the Cape Charles Cup Regatta.
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail