Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2008, 18:39   #61
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I doubt you have sat in a gas line for 3 hours for the privilege of buying your limit of 10 gallons...
Dang, that brings back memories.

Try driving a van all over Houston for work and spending almost half the day waiting in line for gas instead of making money. That'll get your hackles up...

Although we made the best of it. One time I was down around Alta Loma and the line stretched around three sides of the block. I was in front of a house and the owner gave me permission to sit under a tree in his yard. I pulled some office chairs out of my van and with about 3-4 other motorists (or parkists, as it was) we took turns walking to the store for beer. Had a three hour party (the homeowner got his for free). But the service station was only open for an hour. They shut down before I got to the head of the line. Since I didn't have enough gas to make it back to North Houston, I slept in the van that night waiting for them to open in the morning.

I'm not saying I had to walk uphill (both ways) in the snow to school. Some things were worse back then. Some things are worse now. Overall I'd rather have lived back then, before terrorism, aids, etc. It seems like the world is going downhill. But now, I have a friend I go to lunch with. She's black. I'm white. Back in the old days, they wouldn't have served us, or there would have been people making nasty comments. Now nobody bats an eye. Some things improve, some things deteriorate. It's my job to do the best with what is dealt to me and the results of choices I make, not pine for a past I can't have or a fantasy future that's impossible. But of the two, I CAN do something about the future. Not much, maybe, but something.

EDIT: After re-reading that, no, I'd rather live now.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 18:48   #62

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I disagree with Dan regarding physics being a bad choice of ed for a charter operator. People who haven't done it don't realize it, but a physics BS gives you a higher level of math than an economist PhD, as well as a solid grounding in electrical, mechanical, and computer (these days) engineering. It's not all about baseball trajectories.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:20   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Dang, that brings back memories.
Not good ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post

I'm not saying I had to walk uphill (both ways) in the snow to school. Some things were worse back then. Some things are worse now. Overall I'd rather have lived back then, before terrorism, aids, etc.

<snip>

EDIT: After re-reading that, no, I'd rather live now.

I am a very much "for today" kind of guy. I certainly shouldn't go off on anyone and certainly don't hold myself up as a shining example.

But having an external locus of control isn't going to assist anyone in achieving their dreams. I have dozens of success story examples. America is absolutely the land of opportunity where anything is possible.

Just don't think anyone owes it to you, or that anyone is out to get you. It just "is" and overcoming adversity is who we are and what we are about.

BTW - I'd rather live now. Gas lines sucked...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 21:12   #64

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
I second that emotion--last month I underwent a shoulder replacement (they tell me I'll set off metal detectors now) hense my absence from this board. I have always said there are no guarantees in life, if you want something, you'd better get after it. After not being able to keyboard for a month let alone get on my boat, living every moment is more important than ever to me. And, now is the only moment we truly have. I'm headed for my boat just as soon as I can drive; I'm not ever missing another chance. . . .
Old 30-06-2008, 21:45   #65
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneri1 View Post
. . . last month I underwent a shoulder replacement (they tell me I'll set off metal detectors now) hense my absence from this board.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Eric. Welcome back.

TaoJones
Old 01-07-2008, 09:18   #66

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Thank you very much; I'm feeling stronger everyday.
Old 01-07-2008, 14:10   #67

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
These are simple socioeconomic facts bore out of hard data. If I'm "whining" because I didn't get the same breaks other generations did, which allowed them to cruise, own real estate (2 homes often!), travel, etc... then I'm sorry. I simply feel it would be nice to have the same opportunities the generations before me had. I know I won't, but I'd like to.
Hey Sean, there is still a chance for you.
A Baby Boomer will die every 49.5 seconds in the USA this year
Old 01-07-2008, 16:52   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
dang - Won't his friends get tired of going to his funeral...
Old 01-07-2008, 17:17   #69
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
dang - Won't his friends get tired of going to his funeral...
Dan the Man - made me laugh out loud again! I love it when the literal meaning of the written words creates an unintended joke. Good eye, Dan.

TaoJones
Old 01-07-2008, 17:47   #70

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sulli:

I'm a member of the lucky sperm club. I was born in 1963. One or the last year of baby boomers depending on who you talk to. I managed to buy a house but I concentrated on Real Estate. I had two rentals before I bought a house. I managed to do this b/c I obsessed on building and Real Estate to the detriment of other parts of my life. Not every boomer bought a house or two or has a boat. I gave up some things in my life and took advantage of some inefficiencies that I recognized in the market.

The time frame that people have been able to support on one income has been very limited. Say after WWII till 1970 or so. Before WWII was the depression and before that was the roaring 20's. There are opportuities to make money always. Some times are easier than others but there is always oppurtunity. During the dot com bubble they were creating multiple millionaires on a daily basis in the Bay Area. If you look at things from a historical and global perspective we are probably nearing the end of the time when being a white male is the key to making lots of money. Most newly minted millionaires in the last few years came from China and India according to an article I read in the WSJournal. IF you had lived in the Dark Ages being European wasn't such a great deal. The Arab countries were miles ahead of the Europeans in Mathematics and Astronomy Letters etc. Times change. If you want to make the money to go cruising you need to decide how you are going to do it and stick with that plan. You will need to have focus. Focus on what is needed to make money. Understand money the way you currently understand boats. Discover how to leverage your money so that money works for you instead of you working for money. Ask people who have money how the got it. Some will be happy to share their stories with you others won't. You won't know until you ask. REad books on how to make moeny. Some of them aren't worth a darn except for one sentence in an entire book. (I had this happen to me but that one sentence helped me make $10k) You have some of the skills determination, intelligence, perserverance, enthusiasm, just educate yourself on money read books on economics. But understand them don't just read them. Good luck Sean.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 21:02   #71

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
There are opportuities to make money always. Some times are easier than others but there is always oppurtunity.
I agree. In a down-town, companies (well, everyone) are trying to find ways to reduce their costs. Any products or services you offer (in their industry) that does this will get their attention.

Quote:
During the dot com bubble they were creating multiple millionaires on a daily basis in the Bay Area.
Most of that was speculation on BS business models & VC's doing by overvaluing their stock then cashing in.

Quote:
You have some of the skills determination, intelligence, perserverance, enthusiasm
An entrepreneurial spirit is great. You just gotta be able to roll with the punches every now & again & pick yourself up off the ground & move forward.

Quote:
just educate yourself on money read books on economics. But understand them don't just read them. Good luck Sean.
There are some good books & then there's some really useless books. There's also authors just wanting to get rich off books, hmmm... I guess buyer beware
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 21:35   #72

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Regarding the economy? We had gas lines, stagflation, we had to pay to support every little dictactorship in the world in the interest of fighting communism. We had to pay for vietnam and we funded star wars, simply to spend the soviet union out of existence.
Guess that 's a bit ironic nowaday's

I think I read last month that's there's more billionaires in Moscow than New York, & with their oil reserves & significant amount of nuclear powered ice breakers, perhaps we should all buy Gazprom stocks

Did you know that the Russians will be the first to have a navigable waterway through the Arctic ocean (before the Canadians) in about 7-10 years. Now that would be some trip (even if not allowed by sail but going as a paid passenger on the cargo vessels). This was even confirmed by year-round US military satellite data over the Arctic showing that its melting faster on the Russian side than on the Canadian side.
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:32   #73

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
Are you suggesting Sean get into the funeral business?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:37   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105 View Post
Are you suggesting Sean get into the funeral business?
Bravo! I just spit coffee all over my computer -
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13   #75
Armchair Bucketeer

Been an interesting thread to follow, even though US centric.

One thing that I suspect is pretty universal is that 80% of folk who do well in life financially have put a lot of work / thought / effort / sacrifices (proportions vary ) over many years into having "done well".........and others do not always fully appreciate the previous 20 / 30 years it took to get their.........

Me? I spent 20 years of making p#ss poor decisions both financially and personally. Usually involving lots of partying and vacation time (sounds almost civilised ). It's why I don't have a Ferrari.....and how I met me late Missus. and 25 years of having lived badly is why we clicked. and yer can't put a money figure on that

But I still wish I had a Ferrari - just don't regret never having put in the work for one

But their is always next year..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement