Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 10:29   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: How many cruisers would there be out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Same problem here too.. and add pool rooms into the mix.. so plan is when dropping the hook to get to the closest pool room..
Pool rooms… now there’s an unusual need. Nice trailer sailor though. Is that a pudgy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinowski View Post
The concept of reproduction is left out here. Perhaps cruisers and weekend sailors aren't getting their kids into sailing early enough, or not having kids at all.
Probably both causes, and many many more. Human social change is always complex and multi-faceted. Technology and the availability of newer entertainment options is certainly one factor (or many). Basic economics, and the shifting dynamics of work, are another.
Old 25-02-2019, 10:35   #32

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
Instant gratification is what seems to be desired to day and quite right, there is a decline in tolerance for things going wrong or shall I say grit! Although if you look at the increase in extreme sports there are certainly enough youngsters out there with plenty of it!!

The increase in charter boats also makes it easier to rent and get your fix on a short time basis. Perhaps it’s just a cycle and will see a resurgence in times to come.

Steve
This is a big factor. Everyone wants it now. It takes time to learn to do something well, especially when it is complex. Many, for many of the reasons previously mentioned, don't want to invest their energy to learn or to do.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:42   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinowski View Post
The concept of reproduction is left out here. Perhaps cruisers and weekend sailors aren't getting their kids into sailing early enough, or not having kids at all.
My adult children 32&33 couldn’t care any less about sailing. They have no interest in fixing anything or doing much of anything that requires effort, but they’ll come to the boat if we buy them a plane ticket.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:21   #34

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
There have been a few threads that discussed this issue. I forget the names
I've participated in a few of those threads. I'll reiterate something I've observed here in Florida.

Boat manufacturing may very well be in decline. Cruising around the world may be in decline. However, every marina around here is filled up with waiting lists. Between 2008 - 2010, you could go into any marina and "pick out" the slip you wanted. Not anymore.

In one of those threads, it was asked if there will be a glut of boats for sale. Maybe, but there wont be a glut of slips available.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:22   #35

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

By and large children are brought up to be exactly the way they end up as young adults. Folk my age had parents that did not cater to our every whim or tantrum, so we learned to be more self sufficient by and large than the current crop of young adults, and the same can be said of our parents generation about us. We have in many ways dumbed down our children’s skill set on many levels, while at the same time given them opportunity for skills we are not so great at( anything to do with computers etc). So in the end we get what we got, and we see the results of our attempts to bring up the next generation. This has been going on since our species started standing upright. Damn kids nowadays!

Fair winds, and get off my lawn ��
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 15:39   #36

Boat: 43 Mikelson

The kids we are complaining about haven’t had the same exposure we (I’m 74) had. We bought cars (used) and could actually work on them. Most of the mechanical skills I learned were working on or helping my friends keep their cars running or trying to go faster. The cars today are nearly impossible to “tinker with” unless you have a computer. If you do too much to it it you can’t drive it because it won’t pass the government smog test (at least here in California). Televisions and radios don’t have tubes to test and change, etc. Everything is cheaper to re buy than to fix.
I wonder if the allure of cruising may increase with the popularity of some of the sailing channels on You Tube. Those are fairly recent in the last 3-4 years. They possibly over glamorize the “cruising life” so it may bring some people in but possibly not long term.
Along those lines, as You Tube and other social media outlets were not available years ago, what did motivate or how did everyone learn you could actually live on a boat and sail away?
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 16:32   #37

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless View Post
The kids we are complaining about haven’t had the same exposure we (I’m 74) had. We bought cars (used) and could actually work on them. Most of the mechanical skills I learned were working on or helping my friends keep their cars running or trying to go faster. The cars today are nearly impossible to “tinker with” unless you have a computer. If you do too much to it it you can’t drive it because it won’t pass the government smog test (at least here in California). Televisions and radios don’t have tubes to test and change, etc. Everything is cheaper to re buy than to fix.
I wonder if the allure of cruising may increase with the popularity of some of the sailing channels on You Tube. Those are fairly recent in the last 3-4 years. They possibly over glamorize the “cruising life” so it may bring some people in but possibly not long term.
Along those lines, as You Tube and other social media outlets were not available years ago, what did motivate or how did everyone learn you could actually live on a boat and sail away?

Maybe some kids are this maybe most. My son who lives in SFO makes over 6 figures but still likes to work on his own car. I bought him an Autel engine diagnostics MD805 but you still need to fix the problem once you know it You tube is good for many things besides sailing channels. The new cars today just have more to remove until you get to the basics of the engine. My daughters put together their own Ikea furniture (yech) and I have met a 20 something from Alaska that is better at electrical systems (DC) than I am. I think kids are what you help them to be. Mine love to sail but really aren't interested in learning much about it. They do have avenues of interest that are valid and I'm happy with.

I'm not sure if cruising today is as romantic as it was just 20 or 30 years ago. Political problems and forms in places you could just visit a few decades ago and no one was watching. Now, its to easy to be found wherever you go.

Robin Lee Graham and National Geographic got me into sailing.

I wonder how many would be cruising today if there was no GPS?
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 17:21   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Lack of skills for fixing stuff and no tolerance for dealing with broken stuff/general impatience for the inconveniences which one encounters with a boating lifestyle, seem to be a common factor. Many try the lifestyle, then quit after a very short period of time in frustration. This can be said for people of all ages these days.

You missed this biggie Mike.
Just the other day a young couple with a cruising youtube channel announced that their boat is up for sale. They have 10,000 subscribers and make great videos. They sailed from Canada down the west coast and are now in San Francisco . Who knows what made them throw in the towel.

Maybe new people who watch YouTube only see the pleasurable side of cruising, and after they have a good run at it themselves, they realize that they may have bit off more than they can chew !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 17:33   #39

Apparently not mentioned yet are several factors that may play a part: shorter attention spans thanks to the addiction of the internet. Many younger people simply cannot be without it, constantly. Also, the need for speed. My son says sailing is boring and too slow. He is in his early forties. Finally, an overabundance of caution.
sailorjed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 17:54   #40

Global Warming clicking along ! Have you looked outside lately. Even the world grape production is down 40 %. That's not because it's too hot. There's more ice in the Arctic than ever before. Didn't Al Gore predict the poles would be ice free by 2013 and our children wouldn't know what snow was ! Didn't they just have snow in Vagas and Malibu two days ago ? What about record snow in Seattle? and a month ago 17 alligators with their snouts frozen in the ice near Florida. This is just recent everyday weather news. I wish I had some answers, but I don't. I do know that something 's rotten in Denmark !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 18:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How many cruisers would there be out there?

It snowed in Faial, Azores last week.. followed by seas of 15 to 20metres over the weekend according to friends out there..
Here it was 26C today and 23C tomorrow, cherry blossoms out and spring flowers are in full bloom.
Should be 15C and wet historically, at least it has since I've been here.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 18:07   #42

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

This is an interesting topic! I wish this "glut" of sailboats would hurry up and hit the market. I'm looking for one at the moment and it seems that no one is giving them away. lol
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 18:22   #43

Boat: Colegate 26

I don't think it's that the new generation doesn't have the skills. I think they don't have the desire. At most they want to just charter for a week and be done with the experience.

From my exposure, prior generations committed themselves to a life style. The newer generations want to experience more diversity. They don't want to be saddled to a boat when it's time to move on to the next thing.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 05:26   #44

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I don't think it's that the new generation doesn't have the skills. I think they don't have the desire. At most they want to just charter for a week and be done with the experience.

From my exposure, prior generations committed themselves to a life style. The newer generations want to experience more diversity. They don't want to be saddled to a boat when it's time to move on to the next thing.

This. Too many options to try out
Old 26-02-2019, 06:38   #45

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

There are lots of reasons sailing fails.

- Expensive to maintain
- Almost certainly lost money on resale
- Resale time can be very long, unless you are willing to lose more money

- Costs to get into it are high, either find a cheap/free and fix up, or buy ready to sail.

- You need to be a certain kind of person to be able to sail and make money at the same time (a Captain, or perhaps high entertainment skills, or maybe just a nice set of hooters).
- Costs are going up fast everywhere, but wages are not.
- Basics should come first, a house, kids, cars, motorcycles, then a boat.
- Not everyone is suited to being isolated on a boat long term, lots of people need input from others to get through life.
- Even with a boat, sailing, no engines, the worries are there, how long until the barnacles win, how long until the engine dies, how long until the sails rip, the mast needs repair, the dinghy floats away, or a line or two breaks.

- Every event on a boat costs money, there are not a lot of positives.
- Do you follow your heart (sailing around the world, so glamorous, so free), or follow your brain (too expensive, major money sink, does it get boring sailing between moorings, is it affordable).
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser