Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2021, 17:35   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: How How Do You Economically and Comfortably Go 100 Miles Inland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I don’t get it. OP already has an RV. So what’s the issue.
Trying to decide to make my primary mode of travel a boat or an RV. RV is in the lead due to the stuck feeling I get sitting in the water and at the shoreline. Land transport is bad from boats.

Trying to see if there are creative ways to solve being stuck out on a boat away from work, mountains, friends and family that I have not thought of.

100-200 miles away is about how far I need to go for meetings and would also cover all the fun stuff too.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 17:43   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Chotu........a few additional questions:

Are transient moorings or slips for a 50 ft cat readily available close to the meeting locations?

Have you factored in the cost of a transient moorings or slip?

Have you factored in the time to sail/motor there and back and at what speed?

Have you factored in the cost of a taxi and rental car service?

Can you ride a bike from the transient mooring or slip to the meeting and back?
Sometimes there are transient moorings near the meetings, but often that are at least an hour’s drive away from wherever I am. Yes, moorings usually accept my boat, but I feel more comfortable and secure at anchor.

I can make it to any meetings on the coast without issue. There is no there and back for me in terms of being on the water because I don’t have a fixed location. I’d just stay wherever until the next set of meetings or a change in scenery motivates me to move on.

I have not factored in taxi or car rental or Turo.

I could ride a bike to probably 2% of the meetings.

I do run every other day now, Ann. It’s been great for jump starting the heart. It’s exactly as you say: relaxing and calming and kind of fun. I just go for target heart rates and move as fast as I need to to achieve those rates. Since I had been walking at 10,000 ft elevation in the Colorado mountains all summer, now that I’m back to sea level, I need to run to hit the sane target heart rates as I hit walking at 10,000ft. In better shape than ever, really after a lot of work this summer. Note: living at 10,000ft for the summer is also something you can’t do from a boat. Maybe in Hawaii. Ha ha. But these are the kinds of things I don’t want to miss out on.
Old 14-10-2021, 17:49   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Where are you currently anchored and where are the meetings? Do the meeting require an overnight stay? I did that for 40 years and would generally drive and stay in motels. If it was for longer periods of time to a recurring location I would rent a room or an apartment. Today I have the option of towing a large, very comfortable fifth wheel trailer and stay in rv parks close to meeting locations and commute to the meeting in my tow vehicle.
I’m looking to the future. I have to invest (waste) a tremendous amount of money on finishing my boat or getting a more comfortable RV than I have now. I can’t afford to do both at the highest level. My plan was to pick one as the main living situation and put money into that. Then do the other in a much more limited way, if at all.

Currently I’m in the RV and the boat is 1000 miles away in storage awaiting my return.

Curious about your setup.

It looks like you have a Hunter. You also have a 5th wheel?

Which is your primary focus? WhAt do you do with the other when it’s not in use?
Old 14-10-2021, 19:10   #49

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
.............Curious about your setup. It looks like you have a Hunter. You also have a 5th wheel? Which is your primary focus? What do you do with the other when it’s not in use?
2005 Hunter 46 sailboat and a 1984 Symbol 50 Sundeck powerboat berthed in a slip at different marinas in the San Francisco Bay. I also have a 2020 41 ft Montana fifth wheel stored a block from my home. My primary focus is to spend equal time on each throughout the year, the boats on 3-5 day trips monthly and trailer on a couple of short trips monthly and 3 month trips during the winter. The powerboat, sailboat and trailer are left unattended when we are gone. The boats are plugged into shore power to charge the batteries and trailer has solar to recharge the batteries while stored.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 20:10   #50

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4720.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	246858
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:05   #51

Boat: Endeavour 42

Consider this if you are US east coast. Join AGLCA, they have a great discount with Enterprise, usually 40-50 a day for compact and they pick you up and drop you off.

We use them when cruising the East Coast, Gulf and Great Lakes.

Availability has been pretty good with advance notice, about 3-5 days.

Because of their business model of very high utilization, there is little value in long term planning. If you are in a location for a while, you may be able to get preferential treatment since the managers have a lot of discretion. Also you can usually call the local office direct with short notice needs. There are multiple times i have called the local office and gotten cars when no reservations were available.

Good Luck
eemahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:18   #52

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Attending meetings, inland and don't want to budget hotels or motels.

The only thing I got, and if it duplicates someone else, sorry, is to sell the 50' and buy a trailerable 30-35' trawler. You'd need to hopscotch the trailer around but you can always pretty much find a Walmart around for parking the rig to attend meetings and have the boat to live on.

Just a thought.

Good luck.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 14:14   #53

Boat: Catalina 42 MK II

Buy a bigger boat and have the meeting come to you
OrignalBudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 14:16   #54

Boat: Catalina 42 MK II

Buy a bigger boat and let the meeting come to you.
OrignalBudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 14:50   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemahoney View Post
Consider this if you are US east coast. Join AGLCA, they have a great discount with Enterprise, usually 40-50 a day for compact and they pick you up and drop you off.

We use them when cruising the East Coast, Gulf and Great Lakes.

Availability has been pretty good with advance notice, about 3-5 days.

Because of their business model of very high utilization, there is little value in long term planning. If you are in a location for a while, you may be able to get preferential treatment since the managers have a lot of discretion. Also you can usually call the local office direct with short notice needs. There are multiple times i have called the local office and gotten cars when no reservations were available.

Good Luck
This doesn’t sound too bad at all. Recently, car rentals have reached astronomical prices. Do they have anything with Hertz? I’m banned for life from Enterprise over an argument I had in Fort Lauderdale with a clerk there.
Old 18-10-2021, 14:52   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
Attending meetings, inland and don't want to budget hotels or motels.

The only thing I got, and if it duplicates someone else, sorry, is to sell the 50' and buy a trailerable 30-35' trawler. You'd need to hopscotch the trailer around but you can always pretty much find a Walmart around for parking the rig to attend meetings and have the boat to live on.

Just a thought.

Good luck.
Although this isn’t the solution for me, this is some REALLY good outside the box thinking. Thank you for posting. I had never envisioned the boat going inland. This thread is about thinking of new ways to get inland and this is a new way.
Old 18-10-2021, 14:53   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrignalBudman View Post
Buy a bigger boat and let the meeting come to you.
I don’t think I can get anything much bigger than the boat I have now without some crew.

It’s 1250 square feet of footprint in the water.
Old 18-10-2021, 15:19   #58

Boat: Bateau FS17

You just need a good tender....

https://vimeo.com/193884457
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 18:58   #59

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
You just need a good tender....

https://vimeo.com/193884457

I want one of these...!!!!

And you could probably find a waterway closer to meetings, and carry an eBike on board to get the last mile. Potentially a sleeping bag and a tarp tent and there's the motel covered also. Well, in summer, anyways...
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 19:36   #60

This is a no-brainer. RV. There is no decent/economical way to live at anchor and travel inland regularly. The idea of rental cars sounds handy until you actually have to get transport to one. You also need regular car insurance to keep costs down, etc. I know this is heresy for a sailing forum, but let's be fair.

BTW - #VanLife has made conversion vans extremely expensive -theyve doubled in price. A decent 2000 model will easily set you back $30k - closer to $100k of its a 4x4.. A mid size RV is much more affordable.

Good luck Chotu

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal