Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 04:01   #61

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: How How Do You Economically and Comfortably Go 100 Miles Inland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
You just need a good tender....

https://vimeo.com/193884457
I’ve been drooling over these things for YEARS.

People say that are pretty dangerous though.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 05:00   #62

Well, maybe it’s more economical to just find anchorages that are good long term (like a month) and bring a small RV along, paying for parking/storage.

Total hassle. But maybe it’s doable?

I’ve paid for RV storage the last couple summers while out on the monohull for the summer before i sold it, too.

I could even just use them kind of independently. RV can be stored just outside a city I can fly into and I can maybe pack my meetings into just part of the year. Shifting things in time. Take care of any coastal meetings while on the boat in good weather, then do more inland ones in the RV at other times if year.

Say... do southern meetings in the boat in the winter. Or Northern ones in the summer. Store the RV a few months while doing it. I could even do the reverse in the RV, getting someone to boat sit who wants to taste the liveaboard life. Then return to the boat after RVing.

I had really wanted to just pick one or the other. But practically, for someone who still needs to work, it doesn’t seem possible as mvweebles said.
Old 19-10-2021, 05:10   #63

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Well, maybe it’s more economical to just find anchorages that are good long term (like a month) and bring a small RV along, paying for parking/storage.

Total hassle. But maybe it’s doable?

I’ve paid for RV storage the last couple summers while out on the monohull for the summer before i sold it, too.

I could even just use them kind of independently. RV can be stored just outside a city I can fly into and I can maybe pack my meetings into just part of the year. Shifting things in time. Take care of any coastal meetings while on the boat in good weather, then do more inland ones in the RV at other times if year.

Say... do southern meetings in the boat in the winter. Or Northern ones in the summer. Store the RV a few months while doing it. I could even do the reverse in the RV, getting someone to boat sit who wants to taste the liveaboard life. Then return to the boat after RVing.

I had really wanted to just pick one or the other. But practically, for someone who still needs to work, it doesn’t seem possible as mvweebles said.

That sounds like some decent ideas. The more you can consolidate the meeting times, the easier it should be to deal with. Going to 3 or 4 meetings once in a month should be easier to plan out than one every week.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 05:34   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That sounds like some decent ideas. The more you can consolidate the meeting times, the easier it should be to deal with. Going to 3 or 4 meetings once in a month should be easier to plan out than one every week.
Yeah. I think it’s a wrap.

I can’t see the downside to this except needing a boat sitter occasionally and having to trust someone with my baby.

I built the boat originally knowing full well I can’t afford a marina for it. It was supposed to be a charter boat with me living aboard in between. Life has changed tremendously during the build. It’s still changing at breakneck speed.

Maybe just keep everything I already have as said in the last post and focus on economically storing the one not in use. Not using a marina at all, as was always the plan, seems to be the biggest cost saver.

My boat was designed for years away from the dock. No zincs, no through hulls, boards, rudders and engines come up out of the water, etc. just needs bottom paint every few years and can be scrubbed by a diver in between. So I can, as originally planned, eliminate marinas. Just have to touch a fuel dock here and there (composting head, water maker).

The saved money can be used much more economically on RV storage.
Old 19-10-2021, 05:47   #65

The plan also eliminates hotel costs, rental car costs, Rube Goldberg motorcycle on a boat ideas, keeps the boat light, etc. even electric bike to RV maybe if close.

Then, over the years, one or the other will get burdensome or boring and I’ll know which thing to get rid of and settle into.
Old 19-10-2021, 05:56   #66

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The plan also eliminates hotel costs, rental car costs, Rube Goldberg motorcycle on a boat ideas, keeps the boat light, etc. even electric bike to RV maybe if close.

Then, over the years, one or the other will get burdensome or boring and I’ll know which thing to get rid of and settle into.

If you can make it work, something like a motorcycle on the boat might still be a fun or convenient thing to have in some places. But you can probably take the definition of "motorcycle" pretty liberally there and include some fairly small bikes, or an e-bike, etc.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 06:06   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If you can make it work, something like a motorcycle on the boat might still be a fun or convenient thing to have in some places. But you can probably take the definition of "motorcycle" pretty liberally there and include some fairly small bikes, or an e-bike, etc.

I think a regular bicycle with e-assist and bicycle trailer would do me quite well on the boat. Getting exercise regularly is a bit more important now to keep the heart running well.

Something light like that and easy to throw in the dinghy to bring ashore.

Useful for getting provisions, building materials, bulky things that are a bit far away for walking.

The actual enduro motorcycle can just stay on the RV as it is now. Way easier to handle from the RV on solid ground and I can use it for that type of fun occasionally when the interest arises.

Solution to all the issues? Do nothing!!! Ha ha ha.

Just keep storage costs down (especially for the boat) and allocate time for maintenance of all this crap. LOL.
Old 19-10-2021, 11:50   #68

Boat: Bateau FS17

I don't know the business you are in or what kind of meetings you are holding, but one idea would be to still have your 'charter' setup, but for your clients to come spend a day or two with you where you do the necessary 'meetings' but also schmooze them(and their family?) with your nice yacht.

That removes most of(probably not all) of the business travel needs as they come to you. Then your time in the mountains etc... can be more fair weather trips and less time and stress sensitive.

A thought anyway....
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 12:13   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
I don't know the business you are in or what kind of meetings you are holding, but one idea would be to still have your 'charter' setup, but for your clients to come spend a day or two with you where you do the necessary 'meetings' but also schmooze them(and their family?) with your nice yacht.

That removes most of(probably not all) of the business travel needs as they come to you. Then your time in the mountains etc... can be more fair weather trips and less time and stress sensitive.

A thought anyway....
People don’t come to me, unfortunately. I’m selling stuff to them.
Old 21-10-2021, 11:34   #70

Boat: CSY 37

I used a minivan converted to a camper.there is lots of ideas on you tube. It can be as simple or deluxe as you want to make it and has the added advantage of not standing out at all.( I even put a soccer ball sticker on the back.
Tattooluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 03:22   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooluke View Post
I used a minivan converted to a camper.there is lots of ideas on you tube. It can be as simple or deluxe as you want to make it and has the added advantage of not standing out at all.( I even put a soccer ball sticker on the back.
2021 Toyota sienna gets 35 mpg with captain chairs. Costs $50k new tho. In 2031 i will buy a used one! Ha
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal