Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 22:50   #46
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: How Do You Live Aboard ? A Game We Can All Learn from . . . :)

The kids and their security detail-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kids in berths.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	30723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kids on the dock.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	30724  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruno1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	30725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruno2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	30726  

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 23:01   #47

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Ok... just got onto your facebook and got most of the answers.
That is a seriously interesting history!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 03:22   #48

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I wonder if anyone else is into a setup like this, seems like most of the cruising set is a little old for such things. Guess it's overkill if you just surf CF....
I assume (why not - you did) that you mean people older than Steve Jobs and Bill Gates? Being a newbie, I won't do too many long cruises far from land, but I'm wondering if I'll have withdrawals from my computer if I do? Well, just have to get the 4G phone or whatever - OR go cold turkey? Then again, I may be too busy with newbie worries? "What was that noise? Sounds like water rushing in somewhere?!!!!!?"
Old 23-08-2011, 07:58   #49

Noticed that most posting are in the 27 to 32 foot range, I expected much larger boats, so that's interesting to me as I was afraid it was going to require a 40+ footer, so that's great news!

Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 09:04   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my 41 is MUCH more comfortable then my smaller boats ever thought of being...under way and in harbor.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 09:24   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my 41 is MUCH more comfortable then my smaller boats ever thought of being...under way and in harbor.
Funny. When we moved from living aboard our 41 footer to our current 46, we thought we'd died and gone to heaven. So much space....
Old 23-08-2011, 10:41   #52

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I'll be moving from a 19' trailer to a 33-37' boat. I'll be in a palace then! Probably less room inside, but I find boats are much better laid out then trailers. And I'll have a big "porch" to sit on, that wheely thingy is always in the way.
Old 24-11-2011, 19:27   #53

We are in our second year since purchasing our 36' Uniflite in Long Island. Lived aboard with 2 big labs and 2 old cats - now down to 1 of each, but still have to watch our step navigating from point A to point B. Lost business and farm to the economy, but love the live aboard lifestyle. Have enjoyed almost all the marinas at which we've stayed until Jacksonville. Apparently we are too declasse for this marina, which is otherwise quite nice - neighbors have complained that we have too much stuff on the back deck. Would drop the hook more frequently, but the fridge is 110 and our gen is frozen. Looking forward to finding more casual surroundings so we can work on our boat.
crabbyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 05:49   #54

Boat: Lagoon 440 (44'8")
My wife, daughter (6 weeks old today) and I are taking the plunge in a couple months. We're buying a boat in Trinidad and bringing her up to us in NYC. Some people think we're nuts to live aboard. Some people think we're nuts to do it in NYC. Our folks are pretty freaked out that we're doing it with an infant but neither of us are spring chickens.

Unlike most of you, we'll be on a large cat. But our tech will be similar--some computers, maybe we'll get an air conditioner. We'll definitely need a couple of space heaters and maybe a dehumidifier for the winter. Oh, and a bouncy seat, swing and baby monitor...

Thanks in advance for welcoming us to the community--it's been a dream for a very long time and we're finally making it a reality.

-Myles
MylesK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 06:17   #55

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Actually, you can find some really good boats for reasonable prices in Trinidad, W.I. There are a lot of boaters/cruisers who take their boats "down island" but then lose interest and figured "they have done it," fly home and put the boat up for sale in Trinidad (also Grenada). I have seen a few there that I would be interested in buying, most are outfitted for serious curising and have "made it all the way there" which is a good recommendation.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 06:40   #56

Boat: Columbia 41

This will be my third Winter aboard. I live on a Columbia 41 at a marina on the Potomac in Washington DC. I have a wireless connection to the internet. No TV. No pets but I would like to have a cat. Heat is propane fired cabin heaters. The shore power is only 15 amps so my options are limited. I have a Solis dehumidifier going most of the time. This is especially necessary in the Winter to keep the condensation in check.

The big attraction for me is the peace and quiet. That and the high cost of rentals ashore. My total out of pocket cost is $600 per month. An efficiency apartment would cost upwards of $1,200 per month in DC.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 08:17   #57

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesK1 View Post
My wife, daughter (6 weeks old today) and I are taking the plunge in a couple months. We're buying a boat in Trinidad and bringing her up to us in NYC. Some people think we're nuts to live aboard. Some people think we're nuts to do it in NYC. Our folks are pretty freaked out that we're doing it with an infant but neither of us are spring chickens.

were in NYC are you p;aning to put the boat to live aboard? I lived there 2 summers and can tell you which marinas rock more due to water taxis.

Unlike most of you, we'll be on a large cat. But our tech will be similar--some computers, maybe we'll get an air conditioner. We'll definitely need a couple of space heaters and maybe a dehumidifier for the winter. Oh, and a bouncy seat, swing and baby monitor...

Thanks in advance for welcoming us to the community--it's been a dream for a very long time and we're finally making it a reality.

-Myles

were in NYC are you planning on staying. I lived there 2 summers and can let you knwo which ones rock more due to the waves of the water taxis
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 08:18   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Funny. When we moved from living aboard our 41 footer to our current 46, we thought we'd died and gone to heaven. So much space....
Funny, When we moved from living aboard our 41 footer with two teenagers to our same 41 as "empty-nesters", we thought we'd died and gone to heaven. So much space....
Old 25-11-2011, 08:43   #59

Boat: Lagoon 440 (44'8")

CaptainKJ,

I've been living in Manhattan since '97 but only sailing out of here for the past 5 years.

I'd love to compare notes...

79th St:
Great for the weekend and if you like to bike to work. Not so great for public transportation. Plus, the wait-list is around 5-6 years. We're about 3 years deep, but not sure we really want to be there (although we currently live fairly close by).

Chelsea Piers:
We've been sailing out of Chelsea Piers--and we'd love to be there but it would cost us around $30K/yr (we're on a cat, so we'd need a double-berth) and there's quite a lot of exposure to the wake. That said, the crew there is great and it's in a fantastic neighborhood.

Liberty Landing:
Excellent, safe marina. Pumping out, fuel, etc. Two restaurants, boat supply store. However, it's a bit of a drive from the rest of Jersey City. Granted, the commute (for us to NYC) via water taxi would be a lot of fun! Again, expensive, but not nearly as much as CP.

Newport:
Safe marina, good people. As far as I know, no pumping out or fuel. Less expensive than CP and LL but no 6 year wait-list. Easy commute, great facilities in the neighborhood.

Thoughts?

-Myles
MylesK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 12:21   #60

Boat: private yacht always moving

79th St:
Great for the weekend and if you like to bike to work. Not so great for public transportation. Plus, the wait-list is around 5-6 years. We're about 3 years deep, but not sure we really want to be there (although we currently live fairly close by).

o water taxies there but you get the LARGE waves from the tankers going past. If was enough to do damage on several boats on day, we were on the outside peir on a 106 footer and had damage, a 35 foot sailboat almost ended up on top of the pier, it was a 4 foot wave, might be better on the inside.

CP is expensive but you still get the wave action from the taxis every day as does battery park. I have been to both marinas for 2 months at a time.

Liberty is a better choice if you do not mind the commute. Might also want to look up into port washington area. there are to marinas there, one more expensive, I think it was Capri marina and the other was on the east side, smaller but close to shops.

10 Matinicock Avenue Port Washington.

Shipyard Marina
1301 Sinatra Drive, Hoboken, NJ 07030-5632
(201) 798-8080

Lincoln Harbor Yacht Club
1500 Harbor Boulevard, Weehawken, NJ 07086
(201) 319-5100 ‎
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote